HubSpot Ideas

lalexander

Option to automatically add a product to a deal with workflows

Hi team,

It would be great to be able to automatically add certain Products to Deals within Workflows. For example, if a customer comes in via a certain source and all of the customers from that source are purchasing Product A, all the Deals could then be automatically updated to have that product associated with them.

This would reduce friction for sales teams and allow more seamless Deal creation - the teams wouldn't have to go back and add Products later. Thank you!

179 Replies
HSUser34

Looking forward to this! 🙏

MW96
Participant

+1 to this - we need this to clone recurring deals. At the moment, I need to workaround this with a fragile and quite complex automation in Zapier. Could be so much easier to do it in HubSpot directly!

GEiselt
Contributor

Hi @ethankopit any updates from the team on this feature? See the most recent update mentioned Q3 as an approximate rollout, is there a revised date you can share for launch? Thanks!

KSKostner

Much needed. Also it would be useful to be able to copy line items/products from a deal in a workflow to a newly created deal - at least until it becomes possible to clone a deal in a workflow

MW96
Participant

+1 to the above!

@KSKostner, I built a workaround in Zapier to clone HubSpot deals, maybe that's interesting for you as well. 

PPanbechi

+1 here! Any update on timing for this?

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

Hi All - My name is Emma Golborne and I'm a Product Manager on the Automation/Workflows team. We've implemented the ability to add line items to deals when using the Create Record action to create a deal in workflows! The next step is to get some beta testers to test it out in private beta before we release more broadly. If you're interested in participating in the beta, please fill out this form. We will then give you access within 36 hours of you submitting the form, but will not let you know once we've given you access so be sure to check in your portal. There's more information in the form, but looking forward to getting your feedback and making this available to everyone.

As always, thanks for your feedback and your help!

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

FMaher
Contributor

@EGolborne - does the workflow only run on deal creation? Our issue is that at the point of deal creation, we are guessing which product the prospect will want. After a demo, we will update a selection (product) from a custom field if required. I'm not sure if the beta will be suitable for us if it means users need to delete the line items and re-add if the product selected at deal creation needs to be changed.

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

@FMaher Correct, this only works when creating a new deal. This is just the first iteration, and we're aware of the need to add to existing deals and the team has started to evaluate how to solve that problem!

nwcarlson

@EGolborne In addition to needing to add line items to existing Deals, we also need the ability to add multiple line items.

In our example, we use line items to define sections of our Deals. So we have a `Number of sections` property which adds a section header line item. So if they set that property to 10, it should add 10 section header line items.

SamB1
Participant

@EGolborne I appreciate the Beta and it is a step forward - what we would love to be able to do is duplicate the line items attached to one deal to another - we have a sales pipeline, onboarding pipeline and renewals.  We have workflows that do this for us and duplicate the relevant information across - but the key thing for us to duplicate line items across.  Is this on the roadmap?  Or does anyone know of a work around?

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

@SamB1 - This is definitely one of the next things we want to accomplish with line items in workflows. We don't have a timeline yet, but will let you know once we have updates to share!

@nwcarlson - I'm not sure I understand your use case here. Do you want to determine how many line items to add from this property? How would you determine which product to add as your line item? 

nwcarlson
Yes we are. And in this case, it would be the same part number. We have a
product (###SECTION-HEADER) that we use to define sections on the
quote/deal. So we would want to add X iterations of this product to the
Deal.

We have many deals that have over 40 sections and it's very time
consuming to create all those line items manually.
boydjk88
Contributor

@SamB1 We have a very similar process and we use a Hubspot add-on called Clone Attack as our workaround right now. When a sales deal is closed, we have a workflow that creates a copy of the deal and adds it to our renewal pipeline. The CS rep has a few data cleanup steps that have to be done that can't be automated through the workflow, one of which is to use Clone Attack to copy over the line items.

It's a really easy to use tool with a built-in widget on the deal. The rep will clone the original sales deal (which includes the line items) and merge the cloned version with the renewal deal that was created via workflow, which copies the line items over. 

You could theoretically skip the entire workflow process and just clone the sales deal and add it to the onboarding or renewal pipeline. The reason we don't do this is because we're worried about the human error of someone forgetting to do so, and then a renewal deal is never created. So we prefer to have the worklfow automation as the default method for creating the renewal deal, then our reps can leverage the Clone Attack + deal merge technique as a faster and more accurate way to recreate all the line items rather then adding them manually.

https://app.hubspot.com/ecosystem/5952291/marketplace/apps/sales/crm/appchemist-clone-attack-229629 

FMaher
Contributor

@SamB1 I actually move the original deal over to the onboarding pipeline. When doing sales reports - total actual sales is reported from the onboarding pipeline (any deal on any stage of onboarding pipeline).

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

Hi All - We have just launched the ability to associate line items when creating a new deal in workflows to all portals with workflows access! I have closed the beta sign up form linked in this thread as you should now all have access. 

I'm going to keep this thread open as there are a few other deal and line item scenarios in workflows mentioned here that we haven't yet solved for.

Thanks,

Emma

SamB1
Participant

Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions.  We really need it within Hubspot for now we have found a workaround that requires fewer steps however the ability to copy line items over to a new deal within a workflow as you can with a number of other properties would be really helpful and make life a lot easier.

Our workflow is closed won, create a deal in the onboarding pipeline and set the workflow to copy over details from the sales deal - the only thing missing is the line items. 

@EGolborne is this something you are looking at?

CDouglas4

@EGolborne we're chasing the same solution as SamB1 with copying line items from one deal to another on automatic creation. Great to see the initial steps, looking forward to some more updates

EGolborne
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone - just an update to respond to some of your questions about future work in this area! We definitely hear you and the additional functionality that you'd like to help solve some of these line item use cases. We, on the Automation team, will be working with the Payments team to figure out how we can continue to add more functionality within workflows, but at this point I don't have a clear timeline to share with you. Any updates about these feature requests will be relayed on this thread, though. 

Thanks,

Emma