HubSpot Ideas

rachelsheley

Option for disabling attachments in the chat

We have been receiving spam from chatters on our site that includes all sorts of attachments, from documents to pictures, that are completely irrelevant. I'd like to suggest an option to disable the file attachment feature of the chatbot.

This sort of activity can be dangerous, on top of being obnoxious. We don't want anyone on our Hubspot team to click on a potentially dangerous file. In addition, disabling it would clean up much of our chat conversations.

If we have no need for attachments in our chat, we should not have to have them enabled.

Actualizaciones de HubSpot
Estado actualizado a: Delivered
May 14, 2020 01:04 PM

This is now out live to all! You find documentation for this functionality in our API docs, specifically in the Disable Attachments section. https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/conversations_api/hsconversationssettings

Estado actualizado a: In Beta
April 15, 2020 04:29 PM

Hi all- Thanks @GeoComb for posting that. We are working on getting this documentation in our API docs right now, but this is available for beta and fully supported as posted above! 

I will resolve this idea as soon as we get this posted in our tech docs. 

Thanks, 

Cassie

19 Comentarios
Mela
Participante

Yup, we got inappropriate pictures of people's genitalia. Why in the world is this not something that you can turn on or off?? Please fix this asap. 

tylerroy
Miembro | Partner nivel Diamond

Totally agree.  It doesn't make sense to not have on/off control of this feature.  I hope HubSpot fixes this ASAP.

gsandberger
Miembro

I agree with all your points mentionend! Hubspot should offer an option to turn upload on/off.

jschroeffel
Colaborador | Partner nivel Platinum

We have had teh same problem with inappropriate pictures through chat. It is silly that we cannot turn off this option. There is no reason our client's ever need to send a file through chat.  

HotDogJessica
Miembro | Partner nivel Platinum

We have a client who is an attorney and it could be bad for a lead to upload something like legal documents to chat. It creates a nasty, complicated situation. Think of the financial firms and other consultant type businesses that don't want chat to be used this way.

GeoComb
Participante

I received this today from HubSpot Support:

Thanks so much for your patience while I was digging into this for you. I spoke with one of the product managers from our engineering team, and am happy to report that not only are we getting ready to roll out a beta for this feature, but I actually have a workaround that you can implement right now to disable the file upload feature in your chat widget.

You will just need to add the following script to the head HTML of any page with your chat widget on it. Seeing as your chatflow  looks to be targeting all website pages, I'd recommend adding the script at the domain-level if possible. Here is that script:

<script>
  window.hsConversationsSettings = {
    disableAttachment: true
  }
</script>

Estado actualizado a: In Beta
cdewey22
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Hi all- Thanks @GeoComb for posting that. We are working on getting this documentation in our API docs right now, but this is available for beta and fully supported as posted above! 

I will resolve this idea as soon as we get this posted in our tech docs. 

Thanks, 

Cassie

Estado actualizado a: Delivered
cdewey22
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

This is now out live to all! You find documentation for this functionality in our API docs, specifically in the Disable Attachments section. https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/conversations_api/hsconversationssettings

jschroeffel
Colaborador | Partner nivel Platinum

Great stuff. I love it when a reasonable idea gets action.  Thanks @cdewey22 

GeoComb
Participante

Awesome team there at HubSpot! They even set up a zoom with the dev team and myself to get feedback and details.

Thank you!

robinsonjn22
Participante | Partner

Is there not an option inside of HubSpot to disable attachments? Ideally, this would be implemented instead of requiring users to upload a code snippet to the site. Would make this easier to manage downstream.

GeoComb
Participante

There is not going to be an option within the UI to implement this. I thought they had done that when I posted my glowing comment, but all they actually did was to post the existing snippet. They do not intend to make a config option in the UI at this time. It would be easy to make a switch at the chat inbox to enable/disable it with simple visibility rules on the fly with JS but it isn't a priority...yet.

LOConnor123
Colaborador líder

^

ALloyd3
Miembro

Absolutely need this, although it's been years since any follow-up. Has this been implemented already?

FGargano6
Miembro

This really should be added as a feature. As a cybersecurity company, there are real concerns about threat actors uploading malicious documents to our site/hubspot. Hubspot, please consider adding this as a new feature! 

MLaw80
Miembro

Tried looking for documentation on disabling attachments to live chat. Surprised there was no option to disable it and a Google search lead me here. 

Please consider this feature to provide an option to disable files being uploaded with chat. We've received strange images and files and worry if any of them are ever malicious.

EChalupa
Miembro

I'm not a developer, I'm a marketing person. I'm seriously disappointed that HubSpot has not activated a simple toggle on each conversation that would allow/disable attachments. Expecting me to add code to my website on every page that a conversation appears on is ridiculous.

davidharding
Participante

Re: Option to disable attachments in the chat. 

1. Should be a toggle in the UI, 100%
  2. Important issue for legal reasons to limit communications via uploads
  3. Important issue for security: We had chat enabled for all of a day before team members flagged it for allowing executable uploads. Where is documentation for how uploads are handled? 
  4. @cdewey22  Head section code fix per above comments appears to be ineffective. Attachment functionality is initally disabled, but reappears after first message submit from the front end. Newer docs seem to show same code. Can you shed some light? >> UPDATE: A caching plugin was interfering with normal operation; removed the script from delayed execution and the HS fix worked.