HubSpot Ideas

FinallyMatt

Option for Deal value to sync with discounted Quote values

When negotiating a deal, dropping a custom discount on-the-fly can often be what ultimately tips a lead to a customer. In turn, that discount changes the value of a deal...or at least, it should!

The trouble is, right now it doesn't.

Custom discounts aren't automatically reflected in the deal value and it's not an option. So in order to keep deals up to date, every time a new discounted quote is produced, a rep has to remember to head back to the deal and update the value manually.

That might be ok once. But doing that multiple times, on multiple deals is setting reps up to fail. What's more, it seems kinda crazy, particularly when product level (i.e. a discounted version of the product) discounts are reflected in the deal value. 

So it's not that the value doesn't update. It's that discounts are disregarded despite unqeustionably impacting the value of a deal. How is this intended behaviour?

Sure, we could go in and build out 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% discounted versions of each of our products, but where do we stop? It seems like it would be incredibly confusing and result in an unnecessarily bloated product library, while making the in-quote discounting essentially arbitrary.

The inconsistency adds confusion for reps, extra steps toward managing deals in the pipeline, and will likely result in inaccuracies when it comes to reporting—meaning extra time double checking the values on all deals.

It seems like it would be easily rectified. I suggest either making it standard behaviour for a deal value to sync with the most recent/accepted quote including discounts, or to at least have some option for that behaviour to exist.

33 Replies
FernandoVW

Upvote!

This is a very important feature for us. Forecasts are heavily deviated if its not refelected!

Each global discount, fee or TAX should be able to reflect or not in the amount. For example:

Global deal discount 10% - YES

Shipping costs 200€ - NO (we dont want to forecast this as a revenue)

VAT 19% - NO (we dont want taxes reflected in the deal amounts)

DiogoMC
Participant | Diamond Partner

Hi,

There is a workaround with programmable automation in workflows.
You can update the Deal Amount based on the associate quote Total Value. It has some limitations (one quote per deal) but it can work in a number of situations. 
I hope it helps

leechen
HubSpot Employee

Posting on behalf of a cust here! Would really appreciate the ability have the deal amount updated automatically whenever a discount is applied for more accurate data and ease of use for reps.

dreamerdad
Participant

It's great to hear that a workflow could help as a workaround. That said, having an *option* in Deal settings to allow the deal amount to always reflect the most recently updated quote value would be very helpful for us.

A_Jen
Participant

Agree. This is a ridiculous oversight for a well thought out quoting system. I came up with a workaround that works pretty well based on my current testing. .

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 8.41.41 AM.png

In the settings, I set the workflow to renew if triggered again.

So, based on my testing if a quote is created, then it will copy the quote amount to the deal. If you create multiple quotes for one deal, it will always update the deal to the lastest quote that was created. The only problem with this is it won't revert to a previous quote. That would have to be manually done. I'm going to test this out for the next few days and provide any feedback if I see any problems. 

ChaosFreak
Contributor

What's worse is that even if you update the amount on the deal manually, if you make any change to the quote, the amount gets overwritten automatically with the non-discounted total, so you have to manually fix it again. This is super frustrating.

This is not a feature request. THIS IS A BUG. If I send a quote to a customer with a 50% discount down to a total amount of $10,000, then the deal amount should be $10,000, NOT $20,000. This makes absolutely no sense; no customer would want it to behave this way so HubSpot can't claim that this is working as designed. It's a bug.

It's been 2 1/2 years. Is anyone at HubSpot paying attention?

OldWiz
Participant

Fully agree with previous posts. Current behavior from Hubspot simply makes no sense.

AndrewC2
HubSpot Employee

Much needed! Pain point for users indeed.

Ed_Exemplify

Come on Hubspot. This is a basic need!! 

JeremyHong
Contributor | Diamond Partner

This is still badly needed...nearly 3 years later and still not even a comment from anyone at HubSpot?

KCarvell

This is a must! I don't understand why this hasn't been actioned, this is causing a lot of admin hassle within our business. 

dekoning_NL
Participant

THIS HAS TO BE CHANGED  !! 

For a CRM it is absurd that total pricing is not being updated based on discounts and fees. It messes up the total forecasting ..... 

rachel79
Participant

Also, global discount $ amounts aren't available on the Deal level, only on the Quote level.  We're working to apply the following discount framework-

Discount for 2 or more pods (of any type) going to the same address: $100 off total

Discount for 3 or more pods (of any type) going to the same address: $200 off total

Discount for 4 or more pods (of any type) going to the same address: $300 off total

Discount for 5 or more pods (of any type) going to the same address: $400 off total

But I can't currently do that on a deal level without adding duplicate line items just to capture the discount or taking the extra step of dividing the total discount amount by the number of pods (eg. $400/5= discount amount of $80 per unit) because it automatically multiplies it by the number of units.  Have one space where you can apply a global discount dollar amount over the entire deal would change all of this.  Weird you can add a Global Discount/Tax/Fee within the Quotes module but not with Deals??  Also weird if you can do it with a Quote, why it wouldn't push the total to the deal once signed??? So much extra work for my sales team...

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 9.26.33 AM.png