HubSpot Ideas

WhoOrderedRice

Only log emails to EXISTING CRM contacts!!

We have the outlook sidekick plugin on our email accounts, which logs emails and gives you a nice sidebar for more contact details. - Which is great for our actual customer contacts.

However, this plugin is currently adding absolutely everyone to our CRM automatically, so I've got a list of emails with no other data, and some contacts are irrelevant and not necessary for our CRM. 

PLEASE can you make an option, that only LOGS Emails to existing CRM contacts. And if a contact is not in the CRM, it should pop up and say - "This contact is not in CRM do you what to add this contact" Y/N.

This way - I won't end up having a list as long as my arm, of half filled out contacts from my team. 🙂 

Thank you

Please

Natalie

198 Replies
berwynhoyt
Participant

Hi Flora. Great to hear that you are looking at the issue!

You link a beta version ... but I'm not sure it actually addresses the issue that this thread is about - that all emails are logged even when the recipient is not a CRM contact.

Correct me if I've misunderstood your beta.

Redbeardins

Please implement what Natalie suggested! We have to have an accurate record of email interactions with clients to protect our legal liability.  With the current integration we are left with two bad options.

Option 1, turn off the automatic functionality. This would keep thousands of erroneous emails from getting logged as contacts, but also remove the most important part of this integration, the unquestionable record of email contact. Leaving it up to my agents to chose what to log or not (or maybe they just forget) would allow for people to manipulate the system, or leave an incomplete record, exposing us to legal issues. 

Option 2, blocklist all non-client email addresses. This would be impossible. It would be a full time job. As a business, we get a tremendous amount of junk emails from other businesses trying to sell us things. I would really love to see the inbox of a business that is all client activity. 

The functionality of this integration would be perfect if we could chose to only log emails from contacts already in HubSpot. 

david-cook-ome
Participant

Hi all, I FOUND A REAL SOLUTION to this. I don't know why this is not more publicly supported, but Insycle has a data management product that is fairly inexpensive that can solve this through two main things:

1. I turn off the auto-associate, and use Insycle to manage my associations

2. I turn on the plugins, and auto-log and auto-track all emails and Contacts. When new Contacts are created by the plugin and NOT appropriately associated to any Company, I then have the job auto-delete them. The HUGE benefit here is that if my reps have a new Contact from an existing Company (great, the account penetration is growing!), it keeps them in the system. If not, or if it's a junky free email account, it'll delete it, unless my team associates this person to a Company that day.

The way this works is Insycle will allow you to turn off HubSpot's auto-association (which also auto-creates Contacts, causing sprawl) and then just associate them using Insycle each evening (or every hour, if you'd rather).

chrome_2020-06-12_16-15-46.png

And, here's how we're deleting the junky Contacts each night/morning that were not associated with a Company. Note that we are using Source Drilldown 1 and Source Drilldown 2 to identify which plugin or behavior created it, and those that were not automatically associated already to ensure we don't accidentally delete good Contacts.

chrome_2020-06-12_16-25-28.png

We've also put in place a secondary auto-association template that links Contacts to Companies by a second, custom field we call "school". Feel free to check it out if this works for you:

chrome_2020-06-12_16-17-15.png

p.s. - I am not being paid by Insycle, but I spent months fighting this issue, trying out Threads (which I am not a fan of b/c it takes away all email open/click tracking), using the email plugins, turning them off, creating alerts to identify all newly-created Companies and Contacts and removing them manually... it was a mess and took far too much of my and my team's time. If I can save you some pain, that's my do-good action of the day.

tsays
Participant

Wouldn't it be easier to have an option to only add Outlook contacts that are already in HubSpot? 
It makes no sense to me that every contact (including newsletters, etc.) is added to Hubspot, but it really reduces functionality. 
Has anyone come up with a workaround besides another paid add-on? 

Flora
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone,

Flora here again! I hope everyone is as well as they can be. We have implemented a setting to allow you to refine which objects should be associated when you are logging an email. 

image.png

If you are intrested in being in the beta for this, please fill out this form.

In addition, I'd love to chat with any users about their experience around this- feel free to book here

Best,

Flora

KarthikC
Top Contributor

+1

Carolynn

How is it August 2020 & this functionality still hasn't been addressed by HubSpot developers????  So frustrating.  We have the same problem & it's driving us crazy.  If we log all emails we get complete customer interactions recorded in the CRM BUT the CRM also blows up with non-customer contacts & data. If we turn off auto logging, you leave it up the the individual sales person to remember to log each email - which means a LOT of important emails can easily NOT logged.  Either way, this is a logistic nightmare.

HubSpot, give users an option, that only LOGS Emails to existing CRM contacts. And if a contact is not in the CRM, it should pop up and say - "This contact is not in CRM do you what to add this contact" Y/N.

Salesforce provides this functionality.  Why can't you?

LongtimeUser

This was a feature request BEFORE GDPR and California Law made it a REQUIREMENT.

It is A LIABILITY to log emails to Hubspot until this capability is implemented. This is the example I use when speaking in front of audiences about how you might already be in violation without even knowing. Do not trust your CRM to do the right thing. As Data Controller, YOU have all the liability and Hubspot's poor software design is no excuse. I suggest you stop posting here and start talking to your sales representative. This is a black hole for good ideas. (If you work for Hubspot and are reading this, please stop suggesting third-party solutions. We've tried them. They break. They are expensive. We just need a CHECKBOX from you. Did you know that EVERY OTHER CRM had this option as the DEFAULT setting when implementing this? Or are you willing to sign a new Data Controller Liability Agreement?)

Kierstin
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Thanks @Flora  !

We also have a need for this feature and I have filled out the form. Unfortunately, we are on Exchange server with Outlook desktop, so any updates you have on this capability would be greatly appreciated. 

berwynhoyt
Participant

Hi Flora,

The new beta does not work. It logged email to a non-existent contact even though I specifically told it not to.

It initially looks like it's going to work because the gmail addon says it's going to log to 0 records as follows:
hubspot-logging-beta-still-doesnt-work.jpg
But then it actually creates that contact in hubspot anyway (in this case non-esistent@message.com).

I look forward to hearing from you.
Jaimem
Member | Platinum Partner

Hello,

The new functionality is fine, but on certain clients, employees don't follow the guidelines for disconnecting mail records. So long ago we solved it differently. I tell you, I don't know if it will be of use to you.

It will depend on the process of the department, depending on the department we adapt it. In the case of the sales team, their activity is the same, they do not have to decide who to register and who not. Simply the process you follow is: Answer the mail from the led, create the business, list new leds and assign 10 properties to the led.

With the data collected we create a workflow with the trigger: email, new creation, it has no business, it does not have the 10 properties completed, it does not belong to the list of new leds completed.

After 5 days he is assigned to the "unwanted contact" list. With this list, the person in charge of the team deletes the contacts massively belonging to the "unwanted contact" list every X days. In this way, the sales team does not waste time and continues with their work and simply the person in charge of the team. spend 1 minute deleting spam.

We also have to create 1 alert when they reach 300 records in the unwanted list so that the person in charge does not wait to delete it on day X. For many of our clients, this option is helping a lot. I hope it can be worth it! Anything if I can help you, write to me.

Flora
HubSpot Product Team

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback during the product development process.

This functionality is now live to all Chrome Extension users and we have documentation on this here: 
https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/track-and-log-emails-with-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-exte...

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/customize-your-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension-default-c...

Let m know if there are any other ongoing questions and feel free to reach me at flora@hubspot.com

Best,

Flora

Designweb

I agree and have the same issue. I am having contacts created by emails coming in from aliases@domain.com and I can't simply block domain.com as this is my own domain or a client domain. Examples would be alerts@clientdomain.com cpanel@clienydomain.com wordpress@clientdomain.com that alert my team to an issue but I dont want these to become contacts in Hubspot. 

LucasM
Participant | Diamond Partner

Was this feature added to the O365 plugin? 

techupdate

Get issue same with my one of the leading company about Automatic feed screwdriver system 

but  outlook sidekick plugin making same issue I have read all response but didn't get any answer of my issue,

can you please recommend me best solution

thanks

mikeadams

Why would this not just work natievly with Google/Outlook? Why the need for chrome addons etc. Seems like you could just suck in emails associated with contacts in Hubspot, no?

DDavis13
Participant

I think there should be an option to log text messages as well as a way to sync up your phone using the HubSpot app so that it will automatically log text messages into HubSpot.

zerowa

Is this already possible? How can i filter out non-contact emails?