No Location on activity feed

I am writing to complain about your new policy (effective in early August 2019) of not showing location with the email opens.

I rely on that info to let me know if someone is out of town, or if the email has been forwarded to another person in another location.

Can you reconsider this? It's really a big disappointment!

HubSpot updates
No Location on activity feedHubSpot Product Team
changed to: Not Currently Planned
08-06-2019

08-06-2019

Wanted to share a quick update. We continue to investigate solutions for multiple recipient tracking -- including a better way to mitigate self-open notifications. Any solution we implement, however, is unlikely to use IP address -- so exploring the right way to handle it will take us some time. 

In the meantime, we are moving forward with the removal of location data from the activity feed tomorrow to respect recipient privacy. We will continue to update this thread as we make progress.

-Matt

changed to: Idea Submitted
07-26-2019

Hi folks,

I’m the Director of Product responsible for the sales products. We very much appreciate all this feedback. Removing location was a hard decision, and ultimately we feel it is the right one. There is an ongoing discussion in the industry about the ethics of location data of email recipients. I don’t want HubSpot to be on the wrong side of that discussion, and I want to be proud of what we build. We do understand that for some users, removing the location information from the activity feed is negatively impacting your experience, and so my team and I are looking at ways to improve both self open notifications and multiple recipient tracking. Stay tuned.

Thanks for listening,

Matt 

136 Replies
red75116
Occasional Contributor

Hi Elise,

I do not know how displaying the location of the receipient on the Hubspot portal affects the receipients experience.   They dont see this information.

To be clear, if this feature is removed, we will be looking for a replacement to Hubspot.

tylerkelley
Occasional Contributor

While we're waiting to hear back from Elise, let me suggest to my friends at HubSpot that they invite their sales function stakeholders to this conversation. It seems like every decision to remove functionality effects sales people. If you do not have anyone representing sales people on your product teams, then look into adding this perspective. If not, the writing is on the wall...

Agent314
New Contributor

Elise is going a quarter-step further than the initial explanation adding that "it feels out of step with evolving consumer expectations around privacy." C'mon folks... that's doublespeak. Hate to say this, but whoever made the decision to put this out there with this language has completely miscalculated the response. Did they think they could just gloss over it with corporate mumbo-jumbo? Not personal but you can't talk to your customers like children and expect them to respond positively. Either fix it or just be honest about it and tell the truth. Thanks... Jeff

MKHopkins
New Contributor

As one who will be looking for a replacement to Hubspot should they stick with the abrupt and questionable decision to remove a valuable feature, I join others in asking that the decision to remove the location feature be cancelled. If the decision is based on "the email recipient’s experience",  consider that the recipient is often spared additonal emails based on our knowledge that what we have sent is under consideration.  If this capabiity was propietary to Hubspot, it might be a different matter. Please reverse this decision. 

JTTaylor
New Contributor

I concur with many of the others who do NOT agree with removing the location feature. I am surprised Hubspot thinks this provides no value because this is precisely the feature that keeps me paying for Hubspot.  The location feature helps identify different parties/offices opening the email and allows me to get an idea on traction and timing for follow-on phone calls and emails. If every open alert I get is a ubiquitous 'email-x opened', this will not provide me the value added needed for me to continue paying for my Hubspot subscription.

Please rethink this decision!       

Agent314
New Contributor

One more thing to note... with the increase in false opens (ie: Gmail, etc), HAVING the location data can help us differentiate between Google opening our email and our intended recipient opening the email. I sincerely think you need to be focusing on making the tools we use through Hubspot more effective... not less! Thanks... Jeff

HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thank you all for sharing your feedback.

We understand that some of our customers use location data to differentiate between recipients in one-to-many email sends. While it’s never an easy decision to remove functionality from our product, we believe this is the right thing to do to protect the privacy of the end customer.

We made the decision to remove the location feature after analyzing its current use and weighing that against its potential for abuse and privacy concerns for the recipients. We are currently exploring other ways to provide this functionality that don’t include revealing location data and will keep our community updated on progress.

Hope this helps!

stiebens61
Occasional Contributor

That’s actually not correct. I just opened an email I sent to a prospect for reference and it logged it as an Open from that contact. However, the location is my location so I knew it was me and not the prospect.

red75116
Occasional Contributor

I have to agree, this feature of blocking self opens doesn't work as expected.  I have my static IPs blocked and yet it consistently shows false opens.  The location is the only way I know who is really opening the email.

Why doesn't Hubspot leave this feature in place while you explore other options?  Why remove a crucial feature, promise us you will "look" into and then we never get a replacement feature.

Keep the feature in place until you have other working options please.

tylerkelley
Occasional Contributor

If privacy is the overriding factor, then what else is on the chopping block?