HubSpot Ideas

GailNYC

No Location on activity feed

I am writing to complain about your new policy (effective in early August 2019) of not showing location with the email opens.

I rely on that info to let me know if someone is out of town, or if the email has been forwarded to another person in another location.

Can you reconsider this? It's really a big disappointment!

Atualizações da HubSpot
Status atualizado para: Not Currently Planned
August 06, 2019 02:28 PM

August 06, 2019 02:27 PM

Wanted to share a quick update. We continue to investigate solutions for multiple recipient tracking -- including a better way to mitigate self-open notifications. Any solution we implement, however, is unlikely to use IP address -- so exploring the right way to handle it will take us some time. 

In the meantime, we are moving forward with the removal of location data from the activity feed tomorrow to respect recipient privacy. We will continue to update this thread as we make progress.

-Matt

Status atualizado para: Idea Submitted
July 26, 2019 01:29 PM

Hi folks,

I’m the Director of Product responsible for the sales products. We very much appreciate all this feedback. Removing location was a hard decision, and ultimately we feel it is the right one. There is an ongoing discussion in the industry about the ethics of location data of email recipients. I don’t want HubSpot to be on the wrong side of that discussion, and I want to be proud of what we build. We do understand that for some users, removing the location information from the activity feed is negatively impacting your experience, and so my team and I are looking at ways to improve both self open notifications and multiple recipient tracking. Stay tuned.

Thanks for listening,

Matt 

July 26, 2019 07:45 AM

@stiebens61, you're right. While we are still able to minimize the risk of false open and click notifications for any activities that you perform, there are times where this technology simply won't work based on a few different factors. I've ammended my previous comment.

July 26, 2019 07:24 AM

Thank you all for sharing your feedback.

We understand that some of our customers use location data to differentiate between recipients in one-to-many email sends. While it’s never an easy decision to remove functionality from our product, we believe this is the right thing to do to protect the privacy of the end customer.

We made the decision to remove the location feature after analyzing its current use and weighing that against its potential for abuse and privacy concerns for the recipients. We are currently exploring other ways to provide this functionality that don’t include revealing location data and will keep our community updated on progress.

Hope this helps!

July 25, 2019 11:45 AM

Hi there, 

I'm Elise -- one of the product marketing managers here at HubSpot -- with a quick update on this. 

To start, thank you all for sharing your feedback and voicing your concerns. We always try to strike a balance between giving our customers the tools they want and being mindful of the impact those tools have on their audience. While email tracking is a valuable tool, we believe that tracking location data doesn’t improve the email recipient’s experience, and it feels out of step with evolving consumer expectations around privacy.

137 Comentários
feedback
Membro

Does anyone know of other CRMs that are similar to HubSpot? It's pretty expensive, and I don't like the way they conduct business.

robertotrujillo
Participante

Remove locations is a very wrong and harmful decision.

In most cases data locations is the only way to know if our emails was sent to other person in other country.

We need the data location back asap.

Hubspot is now like other tracking service with no location data.

cjvocal
Membro

Agreed, this needs to be reinstated.  Seeing location let you know if your email was forwarded as well.

Agent314
Participante
red75116
Membro

@mschnitt   For the Love of God, can you please reactivate this feature until your crack team of product folks come up with another solution.  This is completly unusable.  Customer email that originally only went to 1 person, but their response needed action so it has been forwared to others and employees around the world have opened this email.  I can no longer tell if the customer is viewing this.  Please help us!!!!

xx

TSquare
Membro

Just move on, I have. It is not coming back.

oldskoul
Participante

:

robertotrujillo
Participante

The unique way to know if my email is open in america or europe is lost. This decision is wrong and harmful. 

No make sense use hubspot without this asset.  Now hubspot is just a tracker like others. 

Jmcdade
Participante

Would have been nice to know you are doing this.... we work with global organizations with employees travelling frequently. The removal of this feature will make it harder for our sales reps to schedule appropriate meeting times and know when someone is away from the office.

Also does this affect list segmentation by region? Again, we work with companies who have workers in distinct business groups based on their locations, will i still be able to segment lists data by location??

robertotrujillo
Participante

The unique way to know if my email is open in america or europe is lost. This decision is wrong and harmful. 

No make sense use hubspot without this asset.  Now hubspot is just a tracker like others. 

myaphe
Membro

Without the ability to track unique opens, on a one to many email, the value of your solution is significantly degraded.

I'm unclear how you are surveying your users for value and fit, but simply removing the capability all together while ignoring the underlying customer need is a big miss.

I'll be canceling my subscription.

Doug1
Membro

Just uninstalled the Outlook plugin and am testing Contact Monkey.  Saleshandy worksed well.  Not much need for hubspot now.  We'll be moving on soon.

anonclicker
Participante

You guys are really shooting yourselves in the foot here.  Activity feed is the main feature I utilize from Hubspot.

There is already a flaw in that it would track my own opens (I can't block my IP from all the locations I work)

Much of the time there is no contact connected to opens.  If you CC others on the email - for example, my own employees - one cannot tell if the principal recipient has opened the email or if it was a CC.

Now you remove the location where the email is opened reducing intel even further.

In effect, you're reducing the value of the activity tracking to zero.  Time to look for another solution.

robertotrujillo
Participante

Very frustrating. I receive an email in the morning and all the persons in my reply are in differents countries. It's imposible to know if the person more important for me opened my email.

Very frustrating.

anonclicker
Participante

Anyone here find a suitable replacement for email tracking? 

Tried Saleshandy and Yesware and not happy with either.

I really need the location tracking!  Thanks.

robertotrujillo
Participante

Same, I need a new tracking service. 

CEra533
Membro

What I have executed in the meantime is create a custom view on the deals segment that is filtered by means of 'next month' and by my 'transport date' custom suya. At least this manner we are able to see the deals which are due for transport in the month in advance at a glance.