HubSpot Ideas

TrustpilotOps

Naming Convention Customization

We have a large global Marketing team that leverages HubSpot and small Marketing Operations team that maintains the system integrity and processes (me)!

How challenging would it be to allow Super Admins to edit "Name your Workflow" to whatever we'd like our teams to follow for a naming convention? 

A naming convention is helpful for maintaining the system, aligning the global team on active campaigns and makes it easier for me to know what's "safe" to delete without needing to run a full audit every few months. I tagged this to Workflows but would be awesome if this would happen on lists, landing pages, emails, etc.Name your workflow.png

8 Replies
zeke
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @TrustpilotOps! Can you expand a little on what this may look like (specifically for Workflows to start since that's my area of the product)? You're pointing out the "placeholder" text alone which differs from what the workflow is named if left empty. Today an empty workflow will contain the date as well, something like this: "Unnamed workflow - Wed Jul 01 2020 16:15:34 GMT-0400".

Is your suggestion to have a setting to control what the placeholder would be or is it to control what an empty workflow would be named? Also, would you expect a single value to be sufficient or would there need to be rules? 

TrustpilotOps
Participant

Thanks for your prompt response! 

I'm simply looking for the placeholder text to be customizable. Rather than saying "Name your Workflow" - it would be great if organizations can put their naming convention in here. As an example, ours is: Country_Campaign Type_Campaign Description_Initials. This would help the team remember to put US_Webinar_PartnerWebinarHubSpot_MKM

I can't speak for other organizations, but my team is pretty good about not leaving a workflow empty but they all come up with their own conventions and it's a challenging behavior to change.

Please let me know if you need further clarification - thanks!

zeke
HubSpot Product Team

TrustpilotOps
Participant

Hi Zeke,

Is there any update on this idea? Thanks!

zeke
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @TrustpilotOps ! I do have an update, though not directly about this feature. Given that this would be a "Workflows wide" setting, what we're doing is exploring the idea of including a new settings page (top right cog icon) for our app. We've never had one so we need critical mass of this type of setting before we can move forward. The good news is that we are beginning to collect more of these global settings and will hopefully get this project approved. Sorry I don't have a better answer 😕

JeffSchneider
Participant | Gold Partner

Would love to see this, too. We currently have a "HubSpot Asset Naming Cheatsheet" PDF that each employee has printed out so that we name all of the various assets in HubSpot following the same format. Completely agree that having to audit/update/rename assets in HubSpot is a total pain and super time consuming. 

MusicMarketer78
Contributor

Would be amazing to be able to have a sample naming convention across all assets to help with consistency. When you're managing 40+ users creating content, anything helps!

NorNor

Having a naming convention generator would be such an amazing addition! It could be a set of fields (drop-downs, date pickers, open text fields with character limitations) determined by what's important to the organization and made required once a new asset is created. But make it for all asset types - not just Workflows!