HubSpot Ideas

Jamie-SRN

Multiple Domains per Company

Use Case: Company utilizes secondary domain for email while the primary domain loads their website. Example: www.company123.com uses @co123mail.com for email.

A secondary domain option, with the abilility to add a list of domains associated with the parent company, allows us to track leads via email using the "Auto Create / Associate" feature without manually creating the contact for the parent company.

64 Replies
ClemOaky
Participant

Absolutely Suttungr! Completely +1 your case, we have similar issues that lead to quite dramatic consequences!

I would actually suggest that Hubspot would ask for confirmation when about to "automatically add". So you could pick which company you would actually want to add this contact. I know we lose the automatic here, but at least we keep data clean.

Alcip

+1 exactly the same issue. 

I need several domains attached to a company

darkhousedev
Participant | Platinum Partner

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

I love Hubspot so much, but it's topics like this when there is such an obviously needed feature that seems to basically be 90% there already, just missing a few options, that drive me crazy. There is obviously interest in these feature based on the pages of comments asking for it.

Let's go Hubspot devs! 

quesada

This idea should be really prioritized...global companies do use different domains on different regions, and that should be considered by Hubspot

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product. The ability to add a secondary domain to a company is something that we have been investigating on the HubSpot Product team. As a result, I'm going to move this idea into the "In Planning" stage. We'll continue to update this post as we make progress.

olofberglund

Thank you Dylan, this is definitely something we also would like to see fixed soon!

bmauger
Participant

PLEASE fix this. Merging companies is almost not helpful without it, however the need goes way beyond that. 

Possibly the enhancement with the most positive impact on Data hygeine. Also, if you could integrate your "data enrichment" tool in to this, it would take it about a 1000 more miles in to the helpful zone (proactively reducing the need to merge companies by the boatload). Not sure which enrichment service you use, but clearbit offers domain aliases on the company level and there's usually a lot per company. 

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

Hey folks - my name is Ethan and I'm a PM here at HubSpot. As Dylan mentioned, we've been hard at work on this and now have the feature out in beta.

As an overview, we now allow users to add secondary domains to companies, which should help you keep the database a little cleaner. The primary problem we're solving for here is when one company has multiple domains, but it's really just the same company. For example, contacts that have an email with @hubspot.com and @hubspotforstartups.com aren't working at different companies, we all work at HubSpot! Now, you can just add "hubspotforstartups.com" as a secondary domain to the HubSpot company so that activity related to any contacts or deals associated all comes back to the HubSpot company record.

If you'd like to join the beta and try it out, please email me at ekopit@hubspot.com and I'll get you ungate. The sooner we can test the feature, the sooner we can release it. 

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

Just an fYI folks - if you want to join the beta, please include your HubID in your email to me! Thanks.

James-ZAR

This is very important. It is splitting my contacts into two different companies now.

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

Hey folks - this feature is now live to all. We'll continue to make improvements to it, but you can find the feature in the "Company domain name" property on the company record. It should look like the UI for adding multiple emails to a contact. Feel free to add as many domains as you need to add - there's no real limit.

jakespirek
Participant

Thanks @ethankopit

Anurag1990

Hey thanks for launching this feature.

But I think we still can not use this feature in conjunction with other settings of Hubspot. For ex: Turning on the setting "Automatically create and associate companies with contacts" creates and associates companies to contacts on the basis of the match between the values in company domain field and email domain. But looks like this does not happen for this secondary company domain feature.

So for ex: If we have contacts with domain hubspot.com and hubspotstartups.com and all should ideally come under hubspot.com then if we add the secondary domain hubspotstartups.com under the company Hubspot then ideally it should automatically associate Hubspot company to all the unassociated contacts with email domain hubspotstartups.com but I think that is not happening yet. Infact it would create a separate company if we have Hubspotstartup.com contacts listed under Hubspot irrespective we add it as secondary domain or not.

P.S.: I have not tested this myself but I have got all this testing clearly documented by one of the support reps and hence we decided to not use this functionality and not even turning on the setting "Automatically create and associate companies with contacts".

I hope I did the right thing but if you think there is some miscommunication then feel free to respond here and correct me.

kreiley

@Anurag1990 is correct. I was extremely happy to see this feature rolled out, however it's not functioning properly. The main selling point behind having multiple domains associated with an account is to automatically associate any new contacts with any of those multiple domains under the same account. Otherwise the system STILL makes duplicate accounts and forces admins to go in and merge the real account with the duplicate account (or manually de-associate and re-associate contacts with the right accounts if you have the Salesforce integration Smiley Frustrated).

I was so excited to see this functionality rolled out and was raving about it to anyone who was listening - so disappointed that it's not working appropriately. @ethankopit Is a fix in the works?

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

Hey folks - thanks for bringing this to my attention. I want to make sure I understand the problem, so please bear with me!

Are you saying that when you add a secondary domain (e.g. hubspotforstartups.com) to a company (e.g. hubspot.com) and new contacts come in that are associated with that secondary domain (hubspotforstartups) then they are NOT associated with hubspot.com? That would be odd. 

The only case where that might happen is if hubspotforstartups.com already existed, but was never merged with hubspot.com.

kreiley

@ethankopit Thanks for following up so quickly!

The problem is as you described. I had this scenario happen this morning:

Jane Doe from "ABC Company" filled out a contact form with the email address "jdoe@abccomp.com". We have "ABC Company" set up in HubSpot with the primary domain "abc-comp.com" and the secondary domain "abccomp.com". There is no other account in HubSpot with the domain "abccomp.com" (we deleted it since the new functionality was introduced and we added it as a secondary domain to the "ABC Company" account). However, when Jane Doe submitted the form, HubSpot created a duplicate account with "abccomp.com" as the domain and associated her with that duplicate account instead of the primary account with the 2 domains.

Hoping this explanation helps resolve the issue!

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

@kreiley would you be willing to contact our support team with the actual case (I wouldn't want you to divulge your personal business info on the Community) because that very well might be a bug and I'd like our support (and then maybe engineers) to investigate it further.

kreiley

EDIT: @ethankopit I attempted to recreate the scenario above to submit to Support and the functionality worked as intended! Perhaps there was user/account error on our end that caused the scenario I described.

I will keep an eye out for any other instances of unintended behavior, but as it stands, I believe this is working correctly.

JonathanElkin
Contributor

When merging companies please automate adding the merged company's domain to the 'Company domain information' property as a Secondary domain.  Thanks

JonathanElkin
Contributor

Is it possible to add more than one domain name to a Company when importing data?

If not, this property becomes very cumbersome to update manually. 

Particularly if you are regularly adding new  Companies in bulk with multiple domain names.