HubSpot Ideas

Jamie-SRN

Multiple Domains per Company

Use Case: Company utilizes secondary domain for email while the primary domain loads their website. Example: www.company123.com uses @co123mail.com for email.

A secondary domain option, with the abilility to add a list of domains associated with the parent company, allows us to track leads via email using the "Auto Create / Associate" feature without manually creating the contact for the parent company.

64 Commentaires
Stanczak
Contributeur

I'm surprised this is not already a thing. Our company switched over to Hubspot CRM just last week and we are running into many instances of companies who use email domains distinct from their primary brand domain.

barrettdf
Membre

We really need this capability. We have many customers that use multiple domain names but are the same company, not parent/child scenarios.

@Jamie-SRN wrote:

Use Case: Company utilizes secondary domain for email while the primary domain loads their website. Example: www.company123.com@ uses @co123mail.com for email.

A secondary domain option, with the abilility to add a list of domains associated with the parent company, allows us to track leads via email using the "Auto Create / Associate" feature without manually creating the contact for the parent company.

em
Participant

I agree that this would be valuable. Along with the previously mentioned reasons, some companies have multiple domains (full company name and a company nickname) or with a country add-on to the URL. These don't really fit into the parent/child scenario, and merging doesn't work because each time they come to our website I would have to merge them again. Having the option to add multiple URLs under the same company would be so helpful!

JasonC
Contributeur

Yes please make this happen. Lots of companies have many domain variations.

AllenHelms
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Diamond

I'm not exactly sure how this "secondary domain" functionality works, but if the HubSpot merge documentation is true, you may be able to "hack" the system by creating 3 different Companies with 3 different domains and then merging them into the one you want to survive (and thus keeps the 2 "secondary domains").

QUOTE: "When two companies with different domains are merged, the resulting company will keep track of both domains. One will be kept and displayed as the primary, the others will be kept as secondary domains.

If you have company auto-associate by domain turned on, and you add a new contact, HubSpot will associate the contact with a company using the following logic:

• Check to see if there are any companies with that primary domain
  • Check to see if there are any companies with that secondary domain
  • Create a new company for that contact

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/companies/what-happens-when-i-merge-two-companies

Allen R. Helms

HubSpot CRM Partner Consultant

www.OrganicEndeavors.com

JasonC
Contributeur

AllenHelms.... That also works for Contacts and multiple emails. If you make the contact 2x with different emails you can then merge them and have 2 emails for that user.

Stanczak
Contributeur
@AllenHelms wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how this "secondary domain" functionality works, but if the HubSpot merge documentation is true, you may be able to "hack" the system by creating 3 different Companies with 3 different domains and then merging them into the one you want to survive (and thus keeps the 2 "secondary domains").

Sounds like a promising step in the right direction! I hope HubSpot follows through with the logical conclusion of this idea by giving users a tool for directly adding secondary domains to any company record.

ConradS
Contributeur

Merge works as advertised - we just moved to Hubspot from a competitor and was able to successfully set up companies and contacts with multiple domains compressed into a single company domain with the merge capability. It was quick, easy, and seems to work well going forward. The key is to select the "primary" company first, then merge the "secondary" companies, and the contacts, like obedient puppies, will tag right along.

tillson
Membre | Partenaire solutions Diamond

This is an issue for us as well, it sounds like the merge would work, but we are integrated with Salesforce so the merge option is unavailable. If we could have access to manually update the secondary (or multiple) domains it would be extremely helpful. Alternatively, if we could merge companies while integrated with Salesforce, that would work ... but right now we can't seem to find a good solution. 

jwright
Participant

yes please!... of coarse this should be done!

efnate
Membre

Agreed.  And merge trick seems to work - but what happens if you load a contact with one of the "nonprimary" domains? does it link properly?

chris_p_lukes
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Elite

@tillson Hits the nail on the head - for our many clients that use the Salesforce integration, the "merge Companies" solution isn't available (this is a separate issue - but I'll save that).

This is exactly why we need the functionality that @Stanczak suggests - the ability to directly add secondary domains to a company record without relying on the merge functionality.

You can already manually remove these secondary domains through the UI (see below), so why can't you manually add them?  I've been researching workarounds such as using the HubSpot API to access/edit this secondary domain information, but so far have had no luck.

merged domains.png

oohhhh
Participant

another scenario is when a company uses multiple domains eg both .com and .co.uk

mitchellkp
Contributeur de premier rang

give us the UI and tools!

auto_mate
Contributeur

The merge workaround does not work if you have Salesforce company sync enabled.

Companies should be able to have multiple domains 😞

andrewshvv
Membre

+1

nrehrhard
Participant

Our database is currently a mess with sometimes three different HubSpot companies for a single customer/prospect. This feature is sorely needed.

Rbanga
HubSpot Employee

Hello posting on behalf of my customer, he is also very keen on this idea. 
He cannot merge companies due to the SalesForce integration installed, so currently leads that flow into the data base are not correctly associated with companies. Feature requested is a secondary domain default property which will help automatically associate new leads with companies, like it currently does for domains. 

auto_mate
Contributeur

We are really struggling with company data management:

- Lack of secondary domain in company data

- Auto create company setting being tied to auto associate contacts to company

- Lack of company lists

- Company workflows not able to be triggered by list membership

...all these are logical steps to improve HS and make it ABM friendly.

In the meantime, we just discovered Dedupe.ly - this is a workaround for merging companies where you have the SF integration installed.

edutechno
Participant

It is impossible to use the merge trick on a parent company since it cannot be merged. I have no options to add a secondary domain it.
A parent company cannot be mergedA parent company cannot be merged