HubSpot Ideas

APROPLAN

Multi-language Blog

Multi languages features like Landing pages & website have.

I think it's essential to have a blog in multiple languages.

HubSpot Updates
October 23, 2020 11:29 AM

@Tavis yes, the "recent posts" and "popular posts" modules that are on most blog templates will only include posts that match the language of the listing page you're looking at 🙂 

Delivered
October 22, 2020 02:15 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm very excited to announce that multi-language blog is now complete!

We've loosened restrictions in blog settings so you can have different templates, comment settings, and more, for your different blog languages. These updates will ensure that you avoid mixed language blog content, and will help long-time blog users adopt some of our new multi-language blog functionality.

With the new blog settings, you can now....

• Set a different template for each language used on a blog.
  • Set different options for each language variant of your blog's comments, social sharing, and Google AMP settings.
  • Create an individual blog post that isn't in the blog's primary language and isn't part of a multi-language group of posts.
  • Set a multi-language blog post to be the primary post for a multi-language group of posts, or remove it from its multi-language group.
  • Combine Existing Blogs.

We have some final updates to come for APIs, but all in-app functionality is done! I'm marking this post as Delivered. 

- Snaedis 

In Beta
October 02, 2020 02:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Quick update, we're in the process of adding this update to all customers' portals! It's currently out to 20% of all customers (as of Oct 2, 2020), and we'll continue to increase that percentage over the coming 1-2 weeks (we do this incrementally to minimize the risk of bugs affecting customers' accounts). If all goes well, I expect you'll see this update in all portals around mid-October.

You can tell you have the update when you click on the More button for a language variant and you see options to make that post "primary" and to "remove" that post from the group. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 5.02.02 PM.png

Since it's still pretty early, we don't have a knowledge base article published for this update, but you can see the notification I've drafted in a Google Doc which describes all these updates

Thank you for your patience, we're almost there!

- Snaedis 

October 02, 2020 01:51 PM

Hi @karolineb2bml!,

Yes, I'm happy to say that we're in the process of adding this update to all customers! It's currently out to 20% of all customers, and we'll continue to increase that percentage over the coming 1-2 weeks (we do this incrementally to minimize the risk of bugs affecting customers' accounts). I can add your client, just send me their portal IDs 🙂 svalsdottir@hubspot.com or DM me here. 

- Snaedis 

August 31, 2020 03:08 PM

@finn thank you for that feedback! Control over the URL of a blog tag listing page would go well with some other changes my team would like to make to listing pages (mainly letting users set a meta description or page title for those tag listing pages or author pages, for example). I'll make note of your point about the URL as well. 

Customization of the URL aside, I am surprised to hear that special characters in URLs is not good SEO practice - I did consult with the internal SEO team here at HubSpot about this a while ago and was told at the time that special characters are actually nice to have. This was in the context of pages and blog posts, where users can edit those special characters and replace them with more 'simple' Latin-alphabet characters, so to your point you don't currently have that option with tags. I'll revisit this and see what I can find, but in any case do agree that customization of the tag page URLs would be ideal 🙂  

In Beta
August 14, 2020 08:48 AM

An update on multi-language blog (available in beta to everyone who has Blog)

Here's the current status of specific features: 

Included at this time:

• Posts can be grouped and hreflang tags are included
  • Blog settings (including header, page title, meta description, root URL) can be set for each language
  • Global content can be set to different languages using global content editing
  • The language switcher module can be added to your template and works for blog posts
  • Blog subscriptions can be managed for each language of the blog 
  • Language switcher module works on the blog listing page (since July 29, 2020)
  • Multi-language Authors (available to all as of August 12, 2020)
  • Multi-language tags (currently "rolling out"; becoming available to more portals every day. Expected to be available to all on August 20th) 

Still to come:

• Ability to group existing posts from other blogs (this will let users who have 'separate' blogs for their different languages combine their existing posts)
  • Option to have different templates for each blog language
  • Option to set different comment settings for each language, and different social share settings
  • Ability to import into a multi-language blog (it will probably be a few more months before work can begin on this one)

July 06, 2020 09:39 AM

@Niel we're working on loosening up restrictions so you can have different templates, comment settings, Google AMP settings, and social share settings. We're also working on making it easier to combine existing blog posts together. 

This is definitely still a work in progress, hence the "in beta" status Smiley Very Happy It's my team's top priority and we'll be sending out updates as soon as possible! Thank you for your patience.

- Snaedis 

In Beta
June 22, 2020 07:38 AM

Multi-language blog is now available to everyone!

Here's the current status of specific features: 

Included at this time:

Still to come:

• Multi-language Authors and Tags (in development)
  • Update to make the language switcher work on the blog listing page (in development)
  • Ability to group existing posts from other blogs (this will let users who have 'separate' blogs for their different languages combine their existing posts)
  • Ability to import into a multi-language blog (it will probably be a few more months before work can begin on this one)

June 15, 2020 06:43 AM

@Niel we're taking a look at that error in your portal, thanks for bringing it to my attention. In future, please report issues like this one to the support team, as that will be the fastest way to get help 🙂 

In Beta
June 12, 2020 08:28 AM

Multi-language blog is currently available to 65% of all portals, and we'll continue to expand the beta until it's available to everyone!

The knowledge base article on creating multi-language blog is now indexed, so you and your team members can find it through searching our knowledge base as usual. 

Here's an overview of the status on different parts of the multi-language blog feature: 

Included at this time:

Still to come:

• Multi-language Authors and Tags (in development)
  • Update to make the language switcher work on the blog listing page (in development)

Thank you to everyone who has shared feedback and suggestions. Please continue to share your thoughts with me, either here in the comments or directly: svalsdottir@hubspot.com

- Snaedis 

May 04, 2020 05:32 AM

@Tavis Tags and Authors aren't in the beta yet, but they're in development! 

April 28, 2020 01:41 PM

Sorry @dgil89! I missed your request but see it now - you should be all set. 

April 27, 2020 01:44 PM

@dgil8 when you're brought to the Blog Settings, click on the  Language option in order to add a new language for this blog. Then you'll be able to set the settings for that language and go back to create a multi-language variation for a blog post:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 4.42.08 PM.png

In Beta
April 20, 2020 08:37 AM

Hi Community members,

I'm excited to say that we now have an early, beta version of multi-language Blog! 

This multi-language blog beta includes

• Grouping of blog posts in the user interface (like you see when creating multi-language pages)
  • hreflang tags in the source code of blog posts which are grouped (good for SEO)
  • Separate email subscriptions for each blog language
  • Different page titles, meta descriptions for each language, managed in Blog Settings

Not yet included, but currently in development, support for multi-language: 

• Authors
  • Tags

If you would like access to the beta version of multi-language blog, please message me here, or email me directly (svalsdottir@hubspot.com ) with your HubSpot portal ID number

I'll post again when I have another update to share. 

- Snaedis 

svalsdottir@hubspot.com 

In Planning
April 13, 2020 06:51 AM

Hello everybody, 

Just a quick update on multi-language blog!

This is still in development and is my team's #1 priority. We're very close to having a public beta available, and I'll update this post as soon as that's live so you know how to opt into it. We're planning on making the beta version available to you all in about a month. 

Thank you for your patience and support! We're looking forward to delivering this feature to you, and I'll post again as soon as I have an update. 

- Snaedis 

In Planning
November 08, 2019 12:59 PM

This is in planning - thank you all for your patience!

Additional background and context for anyone interested:

Many have commented that it's weird for HubSpot's page tools to offer a multi-language option while the blog doesn't have that feature. I agree - it doesn't make sense 🙂  The tools look very similar - and the management interface is completely identical across all content tools. But in the back end, the code bases are separate (necessary, as a blog (RSS feed) is inherently different from pages in how it behaves), and there were some other tools (related to the fact that the blog tool uses a single template) that need to be made multi-language friendly before the blog can become multi-language. That's why HubSpot website and landing pages have had the multi-language feature for quite some time while the blog has not. 

My team is eager to provide you with the best possible multi-language blog. We've spoken to many already about their multi-language needs, but we're always looking to hear from more customers. If you're willing to share your thoughts and experiences beyond the comments here (I've read them all!), please book a time to speak with me.

- Snaedis 

Re: Multi-language Blog - changed to: In Planning
July 19, 2018 03:58 AM

I can confirm this feature is in planning. Please stay tuned here for updates. 

97 Replies
christian1
Member | Platinum Partner

@Giuseppe thank you for your reply. Do you have any live examples?

makototaguchi11

I am trying to use this suggestion.

https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/removing-language-barrier-multi-language-module-hubspot-blogs

Seems like I can use only one template for translations. Is there any way to use different template for each language?

RJB

It's utterly ridiculous that paying customers have to 'vote' for such a basic feature...

SimonH_Demodia
Participant | Elite Partner

Just wondering whether there has been any movement on this at all. I agree with others in here that this is an essential given that we can already localise other parts of the website.

thisisdatis
Contributor

when will this be updated? A HubSpot representative mentioned 6 months ago that this feature is confirmed.

benvanlooy
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

I agree, when do we get an update?

It's been a while and this is a pretty important feature.

Currently have a blog for a client in 6 languages = which means there are 6 blogs instead of 1 blog with translation options. Pretty silly imo.

RJB

Agreed. Please, can you update paying customers on when this feature (a standard in almost all other CMSs) will be live?

My organisation has 10+ installations of Hubspot, each one with multiple languages. We need translation functionality on the blogs. It's not a 'nice to have', it's a necessity. Having separate blogs for separate languages is not practical at all, neither from a content management perspective nor a user experience perspective (plus, I fear, an SEO perspective).

thisisdatis
Contributor

We have seen a big dip in overall traffic on our route site since switching over to our HubSpot subdomain blog. All signs are pointing to the blog being the culprit... I think this is more of a subdomain issue than an international language issue, however, I'm sure it doesn't help that our website is split out into an American and Canadian version while our blog isn't.  The Canadian site has taken a bigger hit, so it's likely the case. 

This is a necessity, not a nice to have.

melanie_diduenj

Any update on this release ??

Catalpha
Participant | Partner

This would make a great feature.

cathyc

This is absolutely critical to our SEO strategy in Europe and Asia.  Please prioritize so it moves quickly through development.  We'd love to be a beta-tester when this is ready to test drive. 

CristianA
Participant

Any ETA for this feature?

benvanlooy
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

I believe the ETA was - 1 year ago Smiley Indifferent

CristianA
Participant

@benvanlooy  "super" - no progress recorded since 1 year.

So we're basically stuck with either keeping separate blogs, using some sort of "language tags" workaround on the blog or not translating at all?

thisisdatis
Contributor

Seems like a common trend - they give you an ETA then miss the ETA, go dark, and say they can't give you an accurate date. This happened on another thread I'm part of. They gave us a timeline of completion by Q2, a month into Q2 (after 7 unanswered messages from me in the thread) they responded saying that they are working on it but can't give a date as to when it will be released.

Ridiculous.

vernierd
Participant | Elite Partner

Every customer that starts te use the cms is saying the same thing. Why are landing pages and website pagina multi-lingual and why is this not available in the blog cms? We also have been asking this since 2017 through all channels at our disposal. 

HubSpot shouldn't launch single-language tools anymore as they did with the Knowledge Base and Chatflows tool. We simply can't sell it like that. 

osc
Participant

Is there any member of the @hubspot team who can give us more information than "we're working on it, but we don't know, when it will be launched?"

Urgently needed feature!!

JimB_Huble
Contributor | Elite Partner

We're also keen to have an update on the progress of the development of this feature. 

We recently built out the functionality described here, on a client site:

https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/removing-language-barrier-multi-language-module-hubspot-blogs

It took a lot of troubleshooting to get right and definitely felt like more of a workaround than the HubSpot translation functionality on the main website pages.

An update from HubSpot would be much appreciated!

AnnikaR_ML
Participant | Gold Partner

I'd also like to hear if there is going to be a release of this soon. Seems like a basic feature for blogs that should be included.

krista_ca

We're also looking for this functionality. Has anyone implemented the recommendations from this article? https://blog.hubspot.com/customers/removing-language-barrier-multi-language-module-hubspot-blogs