HubSpot Ideas

APROPLAN

Multi-language Blog

Multi languages features like Landing pages & website have.

I think it's essential to have a blog in multiple languages.

97 Kommentare
Niel
Mitglied

Hi, I'm encountering an error to some blog posts whenever I try to create a translated version.  When I click save it returns a 'Please try again' error and I cannot proceed.

blog.PNG

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

@Niel we're taking a look at that error in your portal, thanks for bringing it to my attention. In future, please report issues like this one to the support team, as that will be the fastest way to get help 🙂 

Status aktualisiert zu: In Beta
Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

Multi-language blog is now available to everyone!

Here's the current status of specific features: 

Included at this time:

Still to come:

• Multi-language Authors and Tags (in development)
  • Update to make the language switcher work on the blog listing page (in development)
  • Ability to group existing posts from other blogs (this will let users who have 'separate' blogs for their different languages combine their existing posts)
  • Ability to import into a multi-language blog (it will probably be a few more months before work can begin on this one)
Niel
Mitglied

Hi @Snaedis 

You've mentioned that blog settings can be set for each language.

Is it possible to set a different template for a specific language as well?

Because in the settings it says that I can only modify it on the English version.

template2.PNG

template.PNG

template.PNG

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

@Niel we're working on loosening up restrictions so you can have different templates, comment settings, Google AMP settings, and social share settings. We're also working on making it easier to combine existing blog posts together. 

This is definitely still a work in progress, hence the "in beta" status Smiley (überglücklich) It's my team's top priority and we'll be sending out updates as soon as possible! Thank you for your patience.

- Snaedis 

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

An update on multi-language blog (available in beta to everyone who has Blog)

Here's the current status of specific features: 

Included at this time:

• Posts can be grouped and hreflang tags are included
  • Blog settings (including header, page title, meta description, root URL) can be set for each language
  • Global content can be set to different languages using global content editing
  • The language switcher module can be added to your template and works for blog posts
  • Blog subscriptions can be managed for each language of the blog 
  • Language switcher module works on the blog listing page (since July 29, 2020)
  • Multi-language Authors (available to all as of August 12, 2020)
  • Multi-language tags (currently "rolling out"; becoming available to more portals every day. Expected to be available to all on August 20th) 

Still to come:

• Ability to group existing posts from other blogs (this will let users who have 'separate' blogs for their different languages combine their existing posts)
  • Option to have different templates for each blog language
  • Option to set different comment settings for each language, and different social share settings
  • Ability to import into a multi-language blog (it will probably be a few more months before work can begin on this one)
finn
Stratege/Strategin

For the tags: it would be really good to differentiate the tag itself from its url, so that while the tag name should be multi-language, as it is now, it should be possible to keep the url to strict a-z letters if choosing so.

Example:

"disposition à payer" (French with special character in the middle). This currently produces a URL as disposition-à-payer also with the special French character. But it should be possible that the tag name is disposition-à-payer but that the url is instead disposition-a-payer. At least I should have the choice of choosing.

Special characters in URLs is not good SEO practice (yet) and in quite a few countries it is not the norm. People expect the a-z URLs, not the special characters.

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

@finn thank you for that feedback! Control over the URL of a blog tag listing page would go well with some other changes my team would like to make to listing pages (mainly letting users set a meta description or page title for those tag listing pages or author pages, for example). I'll make note of your point about the URL as well. 

Customization of the URL aside, I am surprised to hear that special characters in URLs is not good SEO practice - I did consult with the internal SEO team here at HubSpot about this a while ago and was told at the time that special characters are actually nice to have. This was in the context of pages and blog posts, where users can edit those special characters and replace them with more 'simple' Latin-alphabet characters, so to your point you don't currently have that option with tags. I'll revisit this and see what I can find, but in any case do agree that customization of the tag page URLs would be ideal 🙂  

finn
Stratege/Strategin

@Snaedis I am glad to see that we agree that flexibility over the tag URL is preferable.

With regards to SEO and non-English characters in the URL, as usual it depends. Google can read both english and non-English URLs, so the page will certainly be indexed by Google. But what visitors and sometimes the "market" expects differs. As far as I know, in Japan it is best practice to use Japanese characters in the URL path, whereas in China it is best with English characters. In most European countries, website visitors expect to see URL with their own special characters (e.g. in German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish) converted into english-characters-only URLs.

Anyway, if it is possible to have control over the URL, then the best of both worlds can be achieved.

🙂

TomAshford
Teilnehmer/-in | Platinum Partner

Hi @Snaedis 

Firstly thanks for the great work!

I'm currently running into a couple of issues on my listing page with:

1) A module using blog_popular_posts as this just displays the English (primary language) posts, I have tried a couple of methods like adding a tag to posts to specify language & using looping through posts and using content.language to try to split them.

2) A topic filter module, again this only seems to list the primary language topics using:

{% set my_topics = blog_topics('33209169769', 250) %}
{% for item in my_topics %}
When I add a translation to a tag the text doesn't update, still shows in English, and the {{ blog_tag_url(group.id, item.slug) }} seems to break, returning no value

Just thought I'd raise these.

Thanks,

Tom

karolineb2bml
Teilnehmer/-in | Elite Partner

Hi @Snaedis is there a timeline when we will be able to use different templates for translated blogs? We have started setting translated blogs up for a client but roll out for non-English speaking countries is held up by the template restriction. Thanks!

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi @karolineb2bml!,

Yes, I'm happy to say that we're in the process of adding this update to all customers! It's currently out to 20% of all customers, and we'll continue to increase that percentage over the coming 1-2 weeks (we do this incrementally to minimize the risk of bugs affecting customers' accounts). I can add your client, just send me their portal IDs 🙂 svalsdottir@hubspot.com or DM me here. 

- Snaedis 

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi everyone,

Quick update, we're in the process of adding this update to all customers' portals! It's currently out to 20% of all customers (as of Oct 2, 2020), and we'll continue to increase that percentage over the coming 1-2 weeks (we do this incrementally to minimize the risk of bugs affecting customers' accounts). If all goes well, I expect you'll see this update in all portals around mid-October.

You can tell you have the update when you click on the More button for a language variant and you see options to make that post "primary" and to "remove" that post from the group. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 5.02.02 PM.png

Since it's still pretty early, we don't have a knowledge base article published for this update, but you can see the notification I've drafted in a Google Doc which describes all these updates

Thank you for your patience, we're almost there!

- Snaedis 

Status aktualisiert zu: Delivered
Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi everyone, 

I'm very excited to announce that multi-language blog is now complete!

We've loosened restrictions in blog settings so you can have different templates, comment settings, and more, for your different blog languages. These updates will ensure that you avoid mixed language blog content, and will help long-time blog users adopt some of our new multi-language blog functionality.

With the new blog settings, you can now....

• Set a different template for each language used on a blog.
  • Set different options for each language variant of your blog's comments, social sharing, and Google AMP settings.
  • Create an individual blog post that isn't in the blog's primary language and isn't part of a multi-language group of posts.
  • Set a multi-language blog post to be the primary post for a multi-language group of posts, or remove it from its multi-language group.
  • Combine Existing Blogs.

We have some final updates to come for APIs, but all in-app functionality is done! I'm marking this post as Delivered. 

- Snaedis 

Tavis
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi @Snaedis this is great news! Thank you 🙂

Are you able to confirm if we are able to filter top posts by language variant also on listing pages? 

Snaedis
HubSpot-Produktteam

@Tavis yes, the "recent posts" and "popular posts" modules that are on most blog templates will only include posts that match the language of the listing page you're looking at 🙂 

MMchina
Teilnehmer/-in

@Snaedis just one question regarding this topic. If i create a blog post in German, and its the first one, meaning my German Blog Listing Page is empty, how can i add existing English articles in the Related Articles at the bottom of the blog. Please see screenshot for clarification.Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 16.53.11.png