Multi-Currency Deals

I've seen the response to this query is that it is currently unavailable but being able to have deals in a range of currencies would be very useful.  

HubSpot updates
108 Replies
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @Shannona,

Apologies for the late answer! Let me check with our product team. I'll get back to you asap.

eginer
New Contributor

did you get any update on this?

bjvrens
New Contributor

Hi HubSpot - any news?? This is really a pain for us not having multi-currency support

HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @Shannona

I don't have a ton of info but I was told that this is on the roadmap for 2018 - likely towards the end of the year. 

Persoon
New Contributor

Hi @DanielBertschi

 

We need a multi currency solution since we started with Hubspot and right now it starts to be an really annoying thing. Is the pipeline suggestion still the best option for us or is your advice to wait for a real solution? When do expect an update? 

HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Persoon

This is on the roadmap for late 2018. If you cannot wait, I recommend going with the custom deal property approach over using multiple pipelines.  This will be far less disruptive when the real functionality goes live than removing multiple pipelines.

Best, Daniel

Daniel3
Regular Contributor

 Same here. Need to select the currency either on the product or on the deal level.

AST
Occasional Contributor

Is there an update on when we will be able to create Deals in more than one currency? How are others working around this problem?

 

Could we at least have different teams within an account be able to use different currencies. My company has offices in the US and Finnland, and Germany, and we need to be able to create separate pipelines for each locations in both USD and Euros. When will this feature be availalbe?

COReilly
Regular Contributor

No official update from HubSpot, but I did find a workaround; HERE. It's not perfect but it's serviceable for reporting.

HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @COReilly, I'm glad you found my workaround helpful. I mentioned it in this thread a few times already but it's easy to get lost in all the many answers. A native solution is on the roadmap for later this year. However, for the time being, my workaround is the best solution. 

@AST @Daniel3