HubSpot Ideas

seobrien

More efficient way to find and merge duplicate contacts

The Sales CRM functions more as intended for lead capture from a web form where one email would be provided to create the contact record.  

You're thinking in terms of the CRM as a Sales and Marketing tool, which it is, but it's also just a CRM: Connected to Gmail it's getting new records daily from people that have multiple email addresses.  Moreover, just doing an import of addresses from other databases can result in multiple Contacts being created for the various email addresses someone might have.

Consider myself as an example, I have 12 different email addresses.  When I take a new client or job, I'll have another.  Those are 13 different records. They are all just me and each of those email addresses should be more easily uncovered as associated with the same person and merged.

What needs to improve
Today we have to go into a Contact records and use the Merge function to find the other emails and merge them.  That's a manual process. A pain for large Contact databases.

The Contact list should have a "Find and Dedup" option.  The CRM should find likely duplicates not based on the email identifier but other personal identifiers: same name, similar name in same location, etc.  Flag those in the list and make it easy to check the duplicate Contacts and "Merge" them.

This really needs to be done as part of the platform as growing companies, teams with many people using Gmail as part of their outreach, etc. will constantly result in new Contact records that can go unnoticed as duplicates of existing records.

143 Replies
AndreaTinner
Participant

also, the possibility for multi-select contacts/companies to merge. If there is any beta, please let me know and happy to test and participate.

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

@Dylan Can we take this one step higher and offer duplicate flags with the ability to review and merge within the actual contact record as well? 

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

I saw this within user defaults. This would be great if we can assign that notification to one person and not the contact owner. Exmple our salesforce does not use HS, I manage our data currently and it would be immensely helpful to get a notification if a potential duplicate was identified on the fly. 

Msyvrais_0-1675867046165.png

Msyvrais_1-1675867055748.png