HubSpot Ideas

seobrien

More efficient way to find and merge duplicate contacts

The Sales CRM functions more as intended for lead capture from a web form where one email would be provided to create the contact record.  

You're thinking in terms of the CRM as a Sales and Marketing tool, which it is, but it's also just a CRM: Connected to Gmail it's getting new records daily from people that have multiple email addresses.  Moreover, just doing an import of addresses from other databases can result in multiple Contacts being created for the various email addresses someone might have.

Consider myself as an example, I have 12 different email addresses.  When I take a new client or job, I'll have another.  Those are 13 different records. They are all just me and each of those email addresses should be more easily uncovered as associated with the same person and merged.

What needs to improve
Today we have to go into a Contact records and use the Merge function to find the other emails and merge them.  That's a manual process. A pain for large Contact databases.

The Contact list should have a "Find and Dedup" option.  The CRM should find likely duplicates not based on the email identifier but other personal identifiers: same name, similar name in same location, etc.  Flag those in the list and make it easy to check the duplicate Contacts and "Merge" them.

This really needs to be done as part of the platform as growing companies, teams with many people using Gmail as part of their outreach, etc. will constantly result in new Contact records that can go unnoticed as duplicates of existing records.

143 Replies
nikkiv
Top Contributor

I agree it would be nice to also have this functionality within companies. We also have a lot of these that are duplicates. 

TimBrown

Hi all,

I would strongly suggest giving Insycle a go. It is an app available in the market place.

I've just started using it. It is good for appending when uploading. And also has a duplicate finding tool where you can search by all the different properties.

I don't work for Insycle but very happy to have found the system.

Cheers,

Tim

ross_man

need this! 

ivyhughes

Would LOVE this. Thank you!

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

Again, there is so much to read on this.  It says BETA.  Where is this in the planning stage?  Thanks.

BB1
Top Contributor

Hi Everyone! In case you missed it, Hubspot rolled out this functionality - finally - to dedup contacts.

If you did not yet receive it, contact Hubspot to check it out. It is easily found in the Contacts page > Actions > Manage Duplicates.

It is still basic, limited in how much info it shows you, but you can preview the contacts and their companies there.

One thing to keep in mind - if you have duplicate contacts in duplicate Companies, you would likely want to merge the companies first/too. If you merge the duplicate contacts, afterwards you do not have a way to find those dup companies.

BryanGorman
Participant | Diamond Partner

I would suggest using Insycle. Such a great application for matching records, finding duplicates, and safely reorganize your data with simuations that allow you to test your changes before making any official changes in your CRM. Here's a link to their HubSpot specific content: https://www.insycle.com/hubspot/

BB1
Top Contributor

Hi All!

Who here has and tried the NEW Hubspot deduplication tool? https://app.hubspot.com/duplicates/<hubspotID>/contacts

Re Insycle - I tried but it did not work for us - maybe because we hve tons of contacts and companies. Anyone here use Insycle for 400k or more contacts? If yes - how is your experience? How long does it take to do queries?

Thanks!

_Kevin
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all -- We're excited that we're getting closer to being able to release the new tool to all customers. We're working to scale its processing, so that it works for everyone, including customers with large numbers of contacts. 

The link in BB1's post will only work if your portal has been accepted into the beta program. If you are interested in becoming an early user - please fill out the beta form here. We will be in touch if you are a good fit.

We won't be accepting every submission into the beta, but we will reach out to submissions that are a good fit for the early version of the tool.

Thank you

realizeit
Top Contributor

I've used the dedupe tool. It works, but might be clunky for those with lots to dedupe (i.e., time consuming). I wonder if it wouldn't be better for HS to create a little programming module while you're entering names (at the point of creation) to help detect dupes? For instance, if I see a contact with a gmail but the exact same name at the exact same company, I stop. A little programming should accomplish this on the front end instead of wasting time after the fact. And, to use a 3rd party tool is, IMHO, a waste of money. One product should be able to accomplish this feature. The problem is HS spends most of its bucks on the marketing side vs CRM....sigh.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@realizeit please share about the dedupe tool.

Thanks.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@_Kevin in order to be part of the beta is it professional or higher?

realizeit
Top Contributor

Hubspot added this feature a couple months ago (starting in beta). I have Sales Professional, so it may only be available there (follow the below instructions to see if you see it):

Go to contacts>Actions dropdown (upper right)>Manage duplicates

HS produces a list to select contacts to remove or not. My current list has 493 contacts. That could take a LONG time to de-dupe. But, it's at least a start.

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@BB1 when I insert my hubspotid and place in a browser, I get to active contacts.  - https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/4890135/contacts/list/view/1563676/?

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@realizeit thanks. looks like i do not have that option.

contacts.png

BB1
Top Contributor

As Hubspot said, you can ask to be accepted to their Beta program - here: Dylan and here: Kevin so if you don't see it, you don't yet have it.

Evans4316
Contributor

Hi Hubspot!

I have tried the Beta... but my key issue and concern is that...If I specify a Primary and want a secondary merged into the Primary... the last I checked... the resulting Contact is whoever had activity and NOT the Primary...which is what I wanted.

I hope this makes sense.  It's frustrating...because then I have to then manually keep track of who I want as the Primary and then modify the resulting Contact.

Any update on this issue?

Thanks!

BB1
Top Contributor

Evans - your question is relevant for all merging, not sure what the answer is.

This new tool is to help the user find the duplicates and then merge them. Actually merging is something which already existed.

Regards,

BB

Evans4316
Contributor

BB1:  I agree...   But IF you specify a primary...you don't want a secondary to overwrite over all of the contact information in this case. ..Or at least have the option to select which information you want to retain.  At least in my mind, the purpose of a Primary is to specify which one you want to keep.

Finding the duplicates is great...but if you have 200 of them and have to manually edit them...it's easier just to leave them.  😞

Thanks,

Karen 

gelflex-cc
Key Advisor

@BB1 Thank you for the link. Thought Idedup.png already posted the comment, this does not appear to be available for all users in beta.