HubSpot Ideas

TLong

Merging Contacts

The idea is to be able to quickly choose the information you want to keep on a merged contact. If I select a contact in the review function where it askes which one I want to keep, it seems logical that the information listed on that contact such as lifecycle stage and lead status would be the information kept. 

3 Replies
spiderman
Participant

I find it really odd that this isn't already in HubSpot. Our old Infusionsoft/Keap CRM had the option to select which of each contact should be retained during a merge. This is one of the rare few downsides of Hubspot compared to IFS but it's HUGE in that we can only rely on HubSpot's select few hierarchial properties to be retained in a merge.

We use Lead Status in a hierarchial manner and would never go backwards in putting someone to Prospect who is already a paying subscriber to our system yet in merges this is exactly what happens often when a subscriber has chosen to purchase something using a different email address.

It was suggested to me to upvote this here in the hope that it gets onto the Development Roadmap.  We really cannot wait around. This is the second item we're needing to develop ourselves due to the lackings in HubSpot. The other was in opt-in/out which doesn't work properly with branding segregation. 

So we're developing a set of workaround workflows and contact property tracking into Gsheets to ensure our system doesn't break.

JSRowland6
Participant

This is a fairly essential functionality allowing the person merging contacts to select which is the primary record information.  We recurrently have new records being created by inbound customer calls and emails and chatflows and unfortunately when our sales agents do merging (which they are doing WHILE they are talking to customers) they often overwrite the primary record data accidentally and data sync to other apps gets broken as the primary email changes.

Have the ability to have the OPTION at minimum to choose the primary record in the merge screen would be super helpful with field level data selection as a secondary.  Otherwise an agent has to be disciplined and skilled enough to go re-search for the given contact and merge the newly created record into the primary record and in a call center operation, this obviuosly doesn't always happen.

Scoobs
Participant

The logic behind the Contact merge functionality is severely flawed.

I recently discovered that HubSpot automatically gives priority to the newest contact information when merging two contacts.

Ideally, a CRM should provide the user with the option to select the most accurate contact record and then choose the duplicate, allowing the merging of communication and details into the chosen 'Active' contact record.

One common scenario we encounter is when a prospect or client, with whom we've been in communication, reaches out using a new email address that arrives in the conversation inbox. This results in a new contact record being created, linked to the name associated with the new email address.

Upon responding in the conversation inbox, the system automatically assigns the user as the contact owner. The user might simply be replying to clarify the name of the prospect or client so that we can identify the existing contact record.

Then we would open the existing contact record, and search for the auto-generated record of little to no value other than involving a new email address and some communication that should be merged with the existing contact.

However, based on the current HubSpot contact merge logic, the existing contact record is now defaulted to the random email address—maybe iCloud due to an email sent from a smartphone—and the existing contact name is updated with whatever information came through with the random email address. And worse yet, the owner of the existing contact record is replaced by the user that responded to the random inbound inquiry.

Frankly, this entire process seems nonsensical.

Am I missing something???