HubSpot Ideas

KarolinaOlczak

Median as an option for statistics

Hello 🙂

I use a lot of average options for statistics, but in our case, they are largely skewed due to accidental situations.

It would be great to be able to choose the median time to reply, the median time to close etc instead of average - it would help us to eliminate one-time situations affecting the vision of daily results. 

39 Comentarios
craigshayowitz
Participante

Same! My company has been using Median First Reply Time for 5 years and switched to HubSpot last week. It'd be great to continue reporting on our First Reply Time metric the way we always have!

JustinTAnderson
Participante | Partner nivel Diamond

Same here,

I work for Unific.com and work exclusively with ecommerce clients. When we're dealing with groups of 1000+ contacts and trying to analyze segments, there can be high and low data values that really skew the Average.

In Excel I always do my analysis based on Median, but if HubSpot can add this option for reporting statistics then that allows me to give the clients more value within HubSpot without having to do an external Excel report.

-Justin Anderson

Ecommerce Data Analyst

Mallikarjunan
Miembro

+1. Especially in Reports I'd love to be able to have Median as an option to plot rather than Average.

JustinTAnderso1
Participante

Yes. We work exclusively in ecommerce and when looking at stats like First Order Value, Days Between 1st and 2nd Order, Lifetime Order Value, seeing the average, alone, can really skew the interpretation due to 2-3 outliers in the data.

Having median as another option would mean the world for better customer insight and eliminate a lot of excel exporting or external reporting.

JustinTAnderson

I'm actually surprised this topic hasn't moved much since it was posted over a year and a half ago (and I can't find another thread that's higher-rated).

Given that HubSpot and marketing/sales are so data-driven, "Average" is completely not sufficient as a lone stat for what's typically happening in a group. We need "Median" to see the halfway point, or look at both number sets to get a picture of what's happening.

andrulobruzzo
Participante

Hi, when I create a report Hubspot helps me to count by total, average, maximum or minimum. But not median. This is important for me as When I want to calculate my sales cycle I don't want to do it by average as there might be an outlier deal that took too many time and balance up my averga. Median would be the right choice.  

andrulobruzzo_0-1602087291277.png

RSM
Miembro

Hope this is on the radar. Median makes so much more sense for most data.

aviggiano
Participante

This feature is desperately needed.

In the meantime, here's what I am doing to get a more accurate perspective of some variables on my Reports:

Here I want to have a grasp of my MRR distribution (like buckets to form a Histogram)

1- Create a custom property called "MRR distribution" with values such as < 1k, between 1k and 2k, etc.

2- Create a Workflow that, based on MRR, assigns each bucket on a if/else chain so that each Deal falls into a specific bucket

3- Then, create a chart using MRR distribution to see a histogram-like chart

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 16.33.31.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 16.37.29.png

JustinTAnderson

Aviggiano, wow, you've definitely figured out a serious work around here!

Obviously this isn't at all scalable, but I'm glad you've found a way to create 50/50 distributions in the meantime for key stats.

Again, this median reporting feature is desparately needed for accurate marketing intelligence. 

Cheers,

-J

RSM
Miembro

Absolutely agree. It's so basic, yet powerful and required.

alessandrob2d
Miembro

Yes, please add this posthaste! Thank you.

ASpringer
Participante

Same as above. For many measures a median can be more helpful than an average. 

LDocherty
Participante

Would love to see this added. 

BrunAlbuquerque
Participante

100% agreed!!!! 

LDocherty
Participante

Any update on this one? 

Would be very helpful. 

BiancaSoima
Miembro

I noticed this is open since 2019 - I am sure it's not difficult to add and it would bring value to the reports.

Justin_Anderson
Miembro

Hey y'all,

It's been 2 years since I first posted here and this still hasn't been implemented into the Report Builder.

"Average" is NOT sufficient as outliers commonly skew the data.

I work in ecommerce so I deal with a LOT of skew in large data sets.

We need "Median" to assess the true halfway point of what's happening.

(and while you're at it, please add "Mode" so we can also do some basic frequency analysis)

andrulobruzzo_0-1602087291277.png

Justin_Anderson
Miembro

Hey everyone, please take a moment and upvote THIS "Median option for Report statistics" feature request page instead: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Median-as-an-option-for-statistics/idc-p/691680#M1227...

It's the same feature request, but it has more comment and upvote traction. Let's get this in front of HubSpot to get this made! I seriously need this for my ecommerce clients!

Justin_Anderson
Miembro

Bottom line is I get tired of exporting HubSpot data and analyzing it in Excel and just want to be able to send clients to an accurate HubSpot Dashboard. 🙏🏻😬

TracyG
Colaborador | Partner nivel Elite

Yes!! If we're all about data we need the right data. There are countless use cases where we need median over average