HubSpot Ideas

Shay

Max length limit on Multi-line text fields

Migrated from legacy feedback forum with 57 votes.

Hi,

We need to be able to set a max-length on the multi-line text fields on forms, with a counter (for usability) regularly our forms will not sync with salesforce as users are inputing over the 255 character limit on fields for Salesforce sync settings.

Validation would also help.

Thanks

HubSpot Updates
In Beta
August 25, 2022 09:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to submit, vote and comment on this Idea. My name is Shay, and I’m the Product Manager for HubSpot’s Properties. 

I'm happy to announce that this feature is now In Beta!!!

We are rolling this feature out over the next couple of weeks. Once this feature is available in your portal, you will see an option to opt into the beta within your portal under "Product Updates".

To learn more, check out this KB Doc: Set validation rules for a property

We’ll be sure to update you here and on our Product Updates blog as soon as this feature is Delivered.

Shay

21 Replies
KPStolz
Member | Gold Partner

This feature would be really beneficial to us with contests!

ron_kagan
Contributor

This breaks integrations way too easily

soeser
Participant

YES YES YES. We need this.

ccoxcatm
This is needed in single line text fields as well. A checkbox could be added and that would enable a field where the user can set the character limit. Easy front end implementation but I realize more work would be needed on the back end to bring the functionality to life. Absolutely necessary though.
AmandaLeigh26

We really need this to help with the API integration and our CRM has limitations and if they do not match, it breaks our intgeration

NC_SF

Yes this would be a huge help with Salesforce integration and save a ton of time reconciling sync errors.

binanoniface
Participant

This would be really helpful! We sometimes have issues where people are submitting a LOAD of info and they aren't syncing across to Salesforce because the character limit has been reached. Any ideas if this might be developed into Hubspot? 

PeterCrane
Participant

Agreed, this is a feature that has been long used elsewhere and is very necessary for many fields.

Sahil16

This would be a great idea to have! We have several forms where we need character/word limits!

KStockdale
Participant

Would love a character limit! 

nhoenig

Need a max character length option in forms even without the Salesforce integration.

brentreader
Member | Gold Partner

We absolutely need this feature for SF integration, along with other data validation controls. Long submissions keep breaking the integration, and it makes for unhappy clients.

JoeMayall
HubSpot Alumni

Hi HubSpot Community,

My name is Joe, I'm the Ideas Forum Manager. I've been in contact with the HubSpot product team about this Idea, and I wanted to provide a quick update.

We appreciate all the feedback you’ve shared here to help our team evaluate this feature request. However, at this time, this functionality is not something our team is planning to build into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future, so feel free to leave feedback if you'd like. We'll update this thread if our plans change.

Best,
Joe
Ideas Forum Manager

brendanyong
Participant

Is there an update on this? Another of my Salesforce integration broke becos of exceeding the charcter limit usually set by other systems at 255 characters 

binanoniface
Participant

It would be great if this could be built into Hubspot, it's such a simple thing which is accessible on most websites. I constantly have to manually cut down people's submissions on some of our forms for their entries to sync to Salesforce (just admin that I could do without!)

I've been waiting over a year and a half, pleeeeease add it onto the list!

RWaite

Would be great to have this built in to match our Salesforce integration!

brentreader
Member | Gold Partner

@JoeMayall is there any update on this? The ability to set field validations would be such a simple addition, and it seems like every other form builder in the world has offered this for over a decade.

JDunn
Participant

Unbelievable that this is not a standard feature. Another way that HubSpot fails at the smaller details...

IconAdmin

Considering the max limit for mluti text fields i think was like 65,000 characters it makes sense to have the ability to control text limits at least via the form or field level. We are having the same issues with forms, like for a contest form we don't want people pasting pages of text, we just want 200 to 500 word limits. 

Its not a deal breaker features i get it, but its a big quality of life feature I think most users would appreciate.

KStewartRD

This is essential.