HubSpot Ideas

bhalferty

Log SMS texts sent to contacts in the CRM

When hitting the text message icon on the HubSpot Ap, it takes you to your texting screen on your phone, which is great. I think it would be very valuable to automatically log that text into the CRM if you hit that icon button on your contact's page. Right now it is set that you have to copy and paste that text back on the page. 

HubSpot Updates
December 20, 2022 12:32 AM

👋 You can now manually log SMS texts sent to contacts in the HubSpot mobile app. 

How does it work?

NewLoggedActivitiesAndroid.png

To log one of the new activity types:

1. Navigate to any CRM record.
  2. Tap on "Log Activity".
  3. Choose which activity you would like to log
  4. Enter details like who was contacted, when the communication happened, and what was sent.
  5. Tap "Save".

The logged activity will now appear on the associated record timelines.

This feature requires version 3.7.1 or above on Android or version 4.5.0 or above on iOS.

Being Reviewed
March 24, 2020 10:48 AM

Hey all - wanted to give a small update on this.

Thank you all for all the great feedback so far - this is invaluable. We are exploring how we can bring this to the whole HubSpot platform (desktop and Mobile) as well as send and short-form messages (think SMS, WhatsApp, iMessage, etc).

We have a few ideas up our sleeves, but would love to learn how you all are curently solving for this right now?

We're listening 👂🏽

125 Replies
AllyHuft
Participant

@jackofalltrades What phone number does the message get sent from.  Is it the users phone number or a random phone number?

KGuinn
Participant

@jackofalltrades HeyMarket has similar functionality, but it still doesn't meet the need of what people are asking for on this thread. Here are several of the limitations:

Right now through integrations, you can show SMS messages on a timeline and even message through Hubspot, but they won't update as an "activity." Here's what that means:

Last Contacted Date and Number of Times Contacted aren't correct - If you want to see the last time a prospect was contacted say on a deal card using the standard "last activity date" property, it won't include text messages sent. We had to create a property called "last sms sent" and add that to our deal cards to fudge this functionality. This still doesn't help that the "number of times contacted" field isn't updated. There is no way to fudge that so it's just wrong. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.11.23 PM.png

Workflows are more complicated - Because Last Contacted date isn't correct you have to run much more complicated workflows to set up follow-up tasks to be created based on not just Last Contacted but also Last SMS Date.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.15.41 PM.png

Can't Report on Text Messages with Other Activities - It also won't log in an activity report for sales teams. So while notes, meetings, calls, etc. can be reported on, text messages can't be reported on in a dashboard in the same chart, it has to be in a separate one. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.10.27 PM.pngSMS Messages can't be shown in Deals - These integrations allow you to show text messages on contact timelines but not deal timelines like you can do with emails and phone calls. This is annoying to sales teams who have to toggle back and forth between contacts and deals to get the full picture of contact with an opportunity. 

And that's all I can think of just off the top of my head. I'm sure this is affecting us in more ways than this, but these are our main pain points. Our audience is college students who communicate almost exclusively via text message. If Hubspot plans to grow with businesses targeting Gen Z, they will need to take notice of this thread and do something about it. 

Maybe with this detailed feedback, Hubspot will actually do something @JPollak !!! I'm here if anyone at Hubspot wants to talk. 

jackofalltrades

@AllyHuft it depends on what phone number you did setup in Aloware, it can be your business main number or maybe your work extension, it's customizable, you can even make it look like you've sent it from a Toll-Free number.

JenWallace
Contributor

@AllyHuft if you go with Aloware, you will need to purchase at least one dedicated number.  Then the calls and text messages go to the contact using that number.  We purchased numbers for each of our sales people and then migrated our toll free number to work through Aloware as well.  For the most part we have been pleased.  Been using it for about 6 months.  There are a few quirks and limitations to be mindful of.  The text message shows up in the activity as a note and therefore does get into your activity tracking and metrics.  Each inbound and  outbound text counts individually.  so I send you a text and you reply that is 2 notes, and 2 activities.  Happy to answer questions if you have them.  For us this was the best option since Hubspot didn't provide anything else

Simplii
Participant
We at Simplii have a VoIP integration with Hubspot that allows for all
calls, SMS/MMS messages to get logged automatically in Hubspot.
JPollak
It is not your job. Hubspot needs to simply add this in.
jknope
Participant

Like so many in this thread, our company sends and receives text messages every day.  In our case, we send hundreds every business day.

I have used EZ Texting and recently started testing SalesMsg. Both of these:

• Send SMS/MMS from their contact screen widget, or via workflow

• Record outgoing and incoming messages in the activity timeline

• Fail to capture the sent text messages as an activity (texts do not appear in activity reporting)

I also explored updating activity from a workflow when a text is sent, but the action of logging a text (or a call or any activity) isn't there. Why?

Given SalesMsg also allows us to save and send pre-written, personalized messages, it is closer to meeting all our needs, but sadly the missing functionality is within HubSpot. For our business, these are requirements:

1- The ability to log a text message easily (like log a call, log an email). Today we log as a call, and added "Text Message" as a call type.

2- The ability to send text messages within HubSpot, and record them as an activity (whether they're sent from the contact screen or in a workflow)

3- Show an alert when a reply is received, and remain visible until a response is sent or the message is flagged as closed

4- Include text messages in activity reports in HubSpot

@vishnu I saw your note from 3/2020, but haven't seen any related comments since. Is this even on a development roadmap? How does a requested feature go this long without an update to customers expressing a need?

Given the lack of any tangible solution or timely response, I see no alternative but to recommend we plan for migration to another CRM. Being forced to use multiple systems to communicate and monitor our activity is inexcusable, inefficient and embarassing. We already know we have users not capturing activity because of the need to enter data in multiple systems.

Gazan
Participant
Gazan
Participant

FINALLY!!!

It is Fixed! It is in a public Beta; you have to opt-in to see it, but it will be live on September 20th on all accounts!

https://app.hubspot.com/whats-new/20694651/betas?productUpdateId=13860245

What is it?

You can now manually log that you sent an SMS, LinkedIn message, WhatsApp message, or postal mail on your CRM records. Configure which activity buttons appear in the record highlight card and reorder them for quicker access.

Cheers from us at https://brandlens.io !

MBradford9

Hello, looks like this request is several years in the making. It is absolutely necessary that we are able track our text messages to our contacts in the CRM. We send dozens of texts per week to our chefs, receiviers of products, q/a, corporate invoicing persons, etc., and this is all activiity that needs to be counted and collected by our managers. PLEASE add this to the activity by leaderboard by sales rep. 

Gazan
Participant

@MBradford9 , there is a solution. see my last message (right before yours).

LEnns
Hubspot has now made it possible to log texts manually in Hubspot however we need integration with Dialpad to do this automatically when a text is sent from Hubspot.

Lyndell

MBradford9

@Gazan thank you! It won't allow me to click on the link and access that portion of a Hubspot. I will ask my admin.

@LEnns looks like Dialpad is only allowing a free 7-day trail but I apprecaite the reply! I just don;t know if the 'actiovity' of texts will show up in 'REPORTS' and Activity leaderboard by sales rep. 

AdrianAnsari
HubSpot Product Team

👋 You can now manually log SMS texts sent to contacts in the HubSpot mobile app. 

How does it work?

NewLoggedActivitiesAndroid.png

To log one of the new activity types:

1. Navigate to any CRM record.
  2. Tap on "Log Activity".
  3. Choose which activity you would like to log
  4. Enter details like who was contacted, when the communication happened, and what was sent.
  5. Tap "Save".

The logged activity will now appear on the associated record timelines.

This feature requires version 3.7.1 or above on Android or version 4.5.0 or above on iOS.

MahmudB

It is better, if the sms log could sync automatically instead of manually. Example like Zendesk sell 

Screenshot_20230218_134806_Zendesk Sell.jpg

VCL001
Participant

Took me opening a ticket to figure this out, but in order to see SMS  as an option on the browser, you have to add to the activity filter. Not intuitive for a new user.Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 13.42.47.png

CCOD

Can you log an SMS in HubSpot from the desktop app? I know you can see one that was logged (@VCL001 you are the BEST!). But do you have to be in the mobile app to actually log those messages?

Gazan
Participant

Yes, you can from a desktop.

You click on log SMS and paste the SMS that you want to log.

YHébert
Thanks for the tip but that is what i already do , but i would like HS to
log it from Message directly!
Regard !

Yves
HarborBecky
Participant

It seems really archaic that in 2024 if we are in the mobile HUBSPOT app and choose the call or text icon within the HUBSPOT app that this is NOT automatically logged as an activity? Our sales reps have to manually log these activities still. In states where handling a phone is illegal while driving this is a major challenge and many don't take the time at the end of the day to log all their calls or texts.... which in turn screws up automation. And makes us look extremely unprofessional when contact has been made via text or phone, but these activities aren't automatically logged in Hubspot and don't trigger un-enrolling in various automation. We have investigated aircall and others but this requires porting our phone numbers to their VOIP and corporate doesn't want to do that. So we at a complete loss and only have a manual logging option for the mobile app acitivity... in 2024!

Why isn't this automatic logging from the Hubspot mobile app a standard feature???  Please help!!!