HubSpot Ideas

bcox

Locking primary email address of contact

We are running up against a consistent issue where we want a specific list of people to use a organizational email address and we want to be able to lock that email into the primary email field. 

Why?

Issues arise when there is more than one address associated with their contact record. (i.e. Maybe before they joined us they where receving email at a gmail.com address)

If they fill out a form with a secondary address, the primary and secondary are flipped in HubSpot. The same thing happens if an import with a secondary address is done from another one of our systems.  It appears to be a "system of record" issue that we are trying to solve organizationally, but we are not there yet. 

Would love to be able to lock down primary email addresses in some cases. 

I found this post that is similar to the issue we are experiencing. 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Email-Marketing-Tool/Secondary-email-becomes-primary/m-p/415578

4 Replies
AZentz

Running into this exact issue in my organization as well. It has caused personnell to miss important/timely information becasue it is too easy to send it to the wrong address. We don't want to delete the secondary emails from the contacts, but just need to lock the primary ones in. Help us, HubSpot!

SBenfield
Participant

I was excited to read this May 13, 2022 knowledge article in hopes this would solve the primary email address issue but....the problem still exists. Other than for those contacts that have been merged and changed companies, setting the primary email address is a waste of time for HubSpot Users. In my test, I set my own contact record with the primary email address per the instructions to my organizational address. I then submitted a form using my personal email which was already associated as a secondary email. The submission set the primary email to the latest submitted email address which was my personal one.

This is not ideal since our organization provides products and services alongside educational experiences such as webinars. Many of our customers will register for an event using a personal email address which would be unprofessional for our sales team to attempt communications to.

This also impacts email deliverability per subscription preference. If a contact subscribes to say Marketing communications using their organizational email address and later submits a form using a personal email address to our "Events & Training" preference, the last email address submitted is now the primary and is not going to receive the Marketing communication. 

fiberpunk
Contributor

Yes, this is an issue here as well. There might not be a 100% obvious fix, because some interactions might concern a new, ad-hoc interaction (eg. a fresh form submission, a new payment), while others might be an interactions coming from an external integration that simply uses an old address on the other end (eg. a user login on a different platform, a subscription payment that has been going on for a while). A lot of our customers are not always aware of which email they are using for what purpose.

Here is an idea(?)

In the contact:

• Add a "lock" option next to the primary address, to keep it from getting changed
  • Also add an "archived" option next to secondary addresses, to make sure they are never being emailed to, and are never set to primary via interaction. Still the association to that address remains (ie. it will be found in searches, API interactions etc.)

So the logic could be:

• If primary is locked, always send to that one, no matter what
  • If primary not locked, and there is an interaction from a secondary email - make that one primary (= current behaviour)
  • If there is an interaction from an archived email, send to primary (+ don't change the primary email)

SBenfield
Participant

Is there an update on this?  It would seem to me that when sending Marketing emails, it should be to the contact and the associated emails based on subscription preferences. So if a contact has 2-3 or more email addresses associated, regardless if it is primary or secondary, the subscribed email address say to "Marketing Communications" would receive the intended email. 

From there, building lists should be based on the contact having any email address (primary or secondary) subscribed to the preference the Marketing team is intended to send from.

A separate concept is to create labels such as business email, personal email, etc. which then would be labels we could target within nurturing workflows. I have a case where contacts register for our design tools, it may or may not be the primary email address associated to their record however I want to ensure the transactional email sent is delivering to the email address they registered for the design tool which is not a HubSpot form or page registration method but connected via private apps.