Limit form submission to a certain number

We'd like to be able to disable a form after a certain number of submissions. 

HubSpot updates
changed to: Being Reviewed
Jun 3, 2020

Hi HubSpot Community,

My name is Joe, I'm the Ideas Forum Manager. I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful comments on this post. Your feedback helps us build better products.

I think this a great Idea! I'm happy to say we are currently reviewing this request and its feasibility. At this time I don’t have any details around timing or delivery, but all updates will be relayed on this thread.

I am changing the status of this idea to Being Reviewed as our team scopes out this work.

Best,
Joe

Oct 18, 2019

Hi all, 

I managed to implement something similar to this using the HubSpot Analytics API and modifying the embed code. It's not perfect but does the job. You can check out what I did via the link below. I recorded a video walking through the solution and also listed a few points on what to keep in mind. Like I said it's not perfect but it might help someone achieve their goals in the meantime.

The embed code looks something like this (you can also see it if you view the source of the page above):

hbspt.forms.create({
    portalId: "PORTAL_ID",
    formId: "FORM_ID",
    onFormReady: function($form, e) {
        document.querySelector("[type='submit']").addEventListener("click", function(event) {
            event.preventDefault();
            var requestURL = "http://jack.emea-tc.com/forms/submit-control/get-submissions.php";
            $.ajax({
                url: requestURL,
                success: function(result) {
                    var json = JSON.parse(result);
                    console.log(json.totals.submissions);
                    if (json.totals.submissions > 10) {
                        $(".formContainer .alert span").html(json.totals.submissions);
                        $(".formContainer .alert").show();
                    } else {
                        $form.submit();
                    }
                }
            });
        }, false);
    }
});

Apr 10, 2017

Migrated from legacy feedback forum with 43 votes. 

We have a lot of customers using HubSpot for events. These events all have a limit when it comes to participants.

We have to manually keep an eye on the number of participants, which is isn't really working for us or our customers.

We would really need a way of making forms close (showing a text saying the event is full or showing a different form for getting on the reserve list) after a certain amount of submissions. Or when a list reaches a certain number of contacts.

41 Replies
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Migrated from legacy feedback forum with 43 votes. 

We have a lot of customers using HubSpot for events. These events all have a limit when it comes to participants.

We have to manually keep an eye on the number of participants, which is isn't really working for us or our customers.

We would really need a way of making forms close (showing a text saying the event is full or showing a different form for getting on the reserve list) after a certain amount of submissions. Or when a list reaches a certain number of contacts.

New Contributor

I would be really a nice idea! Thanks to that, Hubsot will be able to support us for an event registration or a limited distribution

New Contributor

Great idea!
And indeed very useful one. I hope Hubspot will put it on their roadmap

New Contributor

We would use it  when we're booking training courses with only 10 places. Currently we have to watch submissions and manually switch the page over when we get 10. Apart from the obvious downside to this, we have to be careful how we word the page/form/confirmation email  - we can't confirm they have a place, we have to say 'thanks for registering your interest' - just in case we don't switch the page in time. 

Occasional Contributor

I really need it!

I hope HubSpot will consider it on the next update Smiley Happy

Also it will be great that Leadflows can be created by some criteria(not only the page option) like smart contents.

New Contributor

I need this desparately! I use form submissions for event registration all the time and have to manually change it to wait list. 

New Contributor

This would be really beneficial for us when organising events for our customers

Occasional Contributor

Yes, please! Having to manually watch submissions when you have limited space for an event is frustrating.

New Contributor

I need this desperately. Is there a work-around?

Esteemed Contributor

Great idea, just run into this problem when creating an event with limited spaces.

New Contributor

For this to work properly, I think it would have to be a custom checkbox field that allowed you to define a limit on the number of contacts that can have the value "yes". That way, you could have a way for attendees to cancel and free up their spot on the list. And if they submited the form more than once because they "weren't sure if their RSVP form went through," they wouldn't take up more than one spot.

Occasional Contributor

I agree with all of the comments above. This is definitely a feature we would like to see in the future too. We're running a referral promotion right now and would like to cap the number of unique user entries to 3x per day, for example. 

Is there a current workaround? 

New Contributor

I agree that this would be super beneficial, I'm currently trying to work out a way to manage each session that has limited availability, so was looking to integrate with a room/session booking software like yarooms, but HubSpot nor Zapier will help with this.

New Contributor

Agreed to all previous comments. I want to be able to cap the number of form submissions. This would be helpful for running the following campaign types through HubSpot:

• contests
  • event registrations where capacity is limited
New Contributor

We need this badly. 

Occasional Contributor

@Hubspot when is this going to be implemented? Considering forms are linked to webinars, events etc it will be very useful to have.

I also agree that HubSpot should have this implemented. What I thought of doing is to create a Workflow that will send me a notification when the submissions reach a certain amount of number. After that I will manually turn off the form in the landing page and add a note saying we've reached the limit of attendees. 

Occasional Contributor

+1

Regular Contributor

My team also needs this. Although one manual workaround for small numbers would be to have the form submissions to be emailed to you via the notification. Under form > options > Send submission email notifications to 'Email address'

This is still manual, but you could save the emails into an email folder to monitor submission numbers