HubSpot Ideas

Brycelbrewer

Knowledge Base Article - Multiple Categories

It would be very useful to have the same article appear in different categories.  I'm sure several use cases exist and many (if not most) users would find benefit from this.  I have two simple use cases that we would benefit from but I'm sure that there are more out there.

The first use case that we organize content in two ways - by type of product and media type.  We put all of our videos in one spot but would like to have those videos show up in applicable product categories as well.

The second case is we separate our Knowledge Base by the type of product.  However, some articles would be applicable to more than one product so it would be nice to be able to multi-list it and have it show up in more than one spot.  

In the current state, we have to either duplicate articles (and sometimes 3 or 4 times) or we have to choose the most applicable and hope our customers find it.  

I did find this in the community and kudoed long ago but went to check on it and it wasn't in ideas so I decided to post it here.

60 Replies
STeam01

We agree! This would be super helpful to us and our customers. It would allow us to have a certain article be viewed in mulitple places so our customers can more easily find them.

HelenHachtel

Absolutely +1 this suggestion. Knowledge is a flexible thing, and being able to access a list of FAQ guides in one place, and a list of Data Privacy articles in one place, without duplicating guides, is key.

TKirchner

Another advantage to this would be in article maintenance.  You would only need to edit and update one source, rather than all duplicated content.  

f1oren

I agree, an article can sometimes be classified in different sections and thus allow it to be easily found by the reader without the need to duplicate it which would be impossible to maintain reliably in terms of updating.

mhoran

This makes complete sense for an article to be in multiple categories and would be a great addition!

JSeawell

Yes, this would make your software more easier to use!  Thanks

DBolton4
Participant

Could use the ability to assign articles to multiple categories and subcategories. That way I don't have to duplicate articles (and remember to update both).

SRobinett

This would be a really helpful feature.  Seems silly to have to create multiple copies of the same article to have it apply to multiple product categories.  We're just beginning to set up our knowledgebase and would rather set it up once correctly rather than having to hopefully come back later and make changes if this update gets implemented.

TParmley

It is extremely limiting to not be able to surface an article in more than one category within our knowledge base. Our only option is to duplicate content which is a bad practice to begin with but also requires unneccesary maintenance.

MdaSilva55

Yes, that is exactly we are looking for. 

With the option to assign more than one category to a specific article, it would be easier to tag a specific article at all relevant categories they show be visible. 

We have Categories such as Onboarding and using the App, where all relevant question are cleared out. 

The workaround to duplicate the same article to both categories is not an elegant and cause trouble when we need to update it. Keeping track of only one article is easier than check and update all copies of the same spread through all needed categories. 

PhilippNovotny
Participant

I have finally a workaround for that.

You will need to maintain only one article.

You will still need to create multiple articles for the categories where you want your article to "appear".

You can use the code snippet below . Place this under the tab Settings --> Advanced options within the Header and replace the target with the url of your choice.

Once the user is selecting this article, the user is automatically redirected to the desired article on the other location.

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.document.location.href = "PLACE YOUR TARGET URL HERE";
//–>
</script>

You can also place this line of code in an </>Embed object, but I'd recommend to use the header since it seem to be faster.

Brycelbrewer
Participant

Thank you very much @PhilippNovotny!

I'll start testing that here and see how it works for me.  It is just a shame that this one hasn't gained any traction since it has been a couple years and this would be beneficial to a large number of users!

TKirchner

@PhilippNovotny Thank you so much!  This is how I was doing this in Zendesk but couldn't figure out where/how to do it in Hubspot!  I noticed this section when I was setting up my domain last week and wanted to go back and test this!  Thanks for doing the work and reporting to the community!  This will be used, I can guarantee it!  

PhilippNovotny
Participant

You are all welcome.

I'm aware that this is a quick 'n' dirty solution. So far it works for me and I've not encountered any issues yet. I'd appreciate if you can report your experience, that other user can benefit from that as well as, if there are any optimizations that you share those, too.

@BrycelbrewerIt is not, that this is not possible. In my earlier post on this topic I pointed out, that at that time, HubSpot had that kind of requested functionality already in action for themself.

Either they had a workaround for that, too or something completly different.

_BF_
Participant

Yes Please! 

I came looking for this solution - only to find this. urgh! Please hubspot! Fix it!

netaffinitymaja
Contributor

It will b e avery useful feature to have indeed!

We also have several systems with specific knowledge articles, but som egeneric ones like set up, users etc ar eshared between these systems, so at the moment the only way aroudn that is creating an article for each with a hyperlink to another which is not ideal.

On a separate note, we have different systems with similar instructions, and these are sitting under different categories. However when trying to instert the link from dropdown menu within conversations inbox, the category is not displaying, so it i shard to tell which one is which. I have added that to th eideas forum if anyone would like to upvote it please 😊 https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Categories-of-Knowledge-Base-to-be-visible-in-convers...

MAnderson68

I agree with many here, this is crucial to adhere with a one-source-of-truth philosphy 

AJPS

Adding my voice to the choir, this would help my company's knowledge base as we expand product modules and support different customer use cases. Thanks @PhilippNovotny for the workaround to try out.

SSchmid

Yes please! Re-using content in different places is essential in technical writing. Would be great to see the option of using entire articles or just paragraphs in several places while having to maintain them only once.

MW50

This would benefit us as well because some of our products have different versions, so we want to have different subcategories for different versions. While most articles are version-specific, some apply to multiple versions and it's annoying to have to maintain separate pages for each.