HubSpot Ideas

david-perroud

Knowledge Base: Add extra fields for SEO meta-data

Our Knowledge Base is partially publicly available and indexed by Google. It features a lot of content both for existing customers but also potential customers (e.g. they wanna know in detail how to use the product before buying, or are googling for a specific issue that our product can solve). Therefore the Knowledge Base has SEO potential to increase traffic and leads.

However right now it is impossible to do advanced SEO optimisations for KB articles, as basic SEO meta-data fields are not available to edit specifically.

Please add (at least) the possibility to edit these for each page:

• Page Title
  • Meta-Description

Furthermore these functions could be also useful in regards to SEO:

• Possibility to redirect a KB page to another URL
  • Possibility to set the robot meta-tag at a page level: index / noindex

Thanks,

48 Replies
B3ndy

Yes please, I use SEMRush to monior my Hubspot SEO and its clear there are a lot of missed opportunities with the KB.

odietz
Member | Partner

True, there is a lot to do to make the KB SEO-friendly and help to improve the link juice from KB to website (This is what we need to have). While looking in the code, right now the system uses the H1 as meta title and the H2 as meta description in articles. This means, that the H2 should be not more than approx. 156 chars. But for a user sometimes  it is needed to have more content in H2 (short answer of question). So there there seems to be a structure problem. 

Second: The search queries result in indexed pages, the pages itself are empty, this is not good. As well the main page of KB and all categories and sub-categories cannot be edited in title and met descr. This must be solved really fast. While starting to use HubSpot I thought that these issues are not present. Sad to hear this, because our clients are as well skilled enough to face this.

CJamard

Need Metadescription for knowledge base !! please plase 

rwolupo
Top Contributor

Yes, this is really necessary. We urgently need the possibility to set individual pages to noindex to avoid duplicate content, for example. 

lpleva
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone,

I am excited to share that the development work to add several more SEO fields (title, meta description, custom <head> HTML) to KB articles is actively underway!

If you're interested in getting early access to this new functionality once it's available, please reach out to @a_schumacher with your name, company email address, and the ID of a HubSpot portal that has Service Hub Professional or Enterprise. 

Best,

Lukas

rwolupo
Top Contributor

fantastic! i so excited to test this feature asap

odietz
Member | Partner

Cool, hope to see this soon ...

B3ndy

Thats brilliant, looking forward to getting it implemented. Especially with the upcoming Google changes that will penalise poorly optomised / pages with errors.

filipfisher
Participant

Definitely need this!

jaynescarman

We would also love the ability to set no-index on our KB articles. We want them to help our existing customers but don't want them accessible to the wider world. We also don't want to have to make customers log-in, as we want our primary contacts to be able to distribute KB articles to their teams, without having to create a user profile for them.

a_schumacher
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all! I wanted to share this post on the Knowledge Base forum which has a related update: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Tool/Upcoming-HubSpot-will-no-index-KB-search-result... 

We are beginning implementation of some of the changes mentioned in this post. Specifically, within the next few weeks, we are putting a setting into beta that allows you to add or remove a no-index tag from your Knowledge Base search results pages. We are going to have the no-index tag applied by default (more information on why can be found in my post above).

We are also going to be implementing other KB SEO enhancements after that setting rolls out: ability to add custom head HTML to artickes, ability to customize title, and ability to customize meta description

Best,

Amanda

MikeYak
Participant

Hey everyone!

Lukas, thanks for prioritizing these features. We really need them for our KB articles.
@lpleva, do you have any updates? When are you going to update KB and add the additional fields for custom title and meta description? This is very important to us at this point, and that's why I just want to know approximate estimates of this realization.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

a_schumacher
HubSpot Product Team

@MikeYak we are actively building these features and they one of our top priorities. We have a beta currently open that adds a "no-index" tag to Knowledge Base search results pages by default. If you send me a private message with your HubSpot portal ID, I will ungate it for this.

We have partially completed work for the other items (adding a custom title, meta description, and custom head HTML) to KB articles but they are not in beta yet. I expect they should be in beta in 1-2 months. 

CScharffs

Please add these features as quickly as possible.

LZitting

I am looking forward to these features too.  This will be very helpful.  

KjerstiBakke
Participant | Partner

I support this idea. It is a must for SEO to create uniq meta description and title tags.

GenoFAB
Participant

Any update on this? Moved to In planning in May 2021, seems it should not take that long to develop a feature that's fairly simple. What's the estimated time of release? 

LZitting

I would really like to see this soon too!  The knowledge base is where the bulk of content is and I would love to see the SEO ranking improved wherever possible. 

a_schumacher
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all (cc- @GenoFAB @LZitting ). This was originally moved to "In planning" last year. It had to be put on hold for a little bit while the engineering tackled some high priority product reliability work that came up. We are aiming to do this work (custom titles & meta descriptions on KB articles) in Q1 of this year- ideally late January or February. You will see an update from me as soon as a beta is available! Thank you for your patience here

NicoleJ
HubSpot Moderator

+1