HubSpot Ideas

mschnitt

Improve the accuracy of email tracking

We have heard from many of our customers about the need to improve the accuracy of email tracking to better account for multiple recipients and self-open notifications. 

We are currently investigating solutions for this issue.

20 Replies
mschnitt
HubSpot Product Team

Agent314
Participant

Subscribing...

krispag
Top Contributor

Yes! Another example is...as the sender of the email, if I go back into my Sent items folder in Outlook and read the email, it logs a new Open in HubSpot, even though it was opened by none of the recipients, but rather me...the sender.

dyeaple

Although it's imperfect, the location information did help with the multiple recipients issue. I'd prefer if Hubspot re-enabled the location information in email tracking.

ProSonas

Exactly, @krispag !

Agent314
Participant

Any progress on this? Just asking... any answer would be helpful.

Jeff

tylerkelley
Participant | Diamond Partner

Status update?

Agent314
Participant

Hot potato? Or... possibly Matt is no longer with the company and they wish him well in his future endeavors. Or...

zaratops

I have the opposite problem now as it seems the feature for turning off alerts on select emails is gone. Or is there some setting that I need to go down a rabbit hole to find? Basically I'm getting notifications every time a recipient opens that email, and as I found out soon after signing up with Hubspot, there exists people who click the same email 20x a day! Prior to this version, I was able to turn off this particular email since I only needed confirmation the recipient received it the first time. What gives?

Agent314
Participant

@zaratops Are you referring to the "mute" button? We're not getting any response from any HS people now. Possibly there is legal action pending which might explain it. But I've seen that problem before also.

zaratops

@Agent314  Yes! That's the one.... It's baffling that the mute button would have any reason to be removed though.

Agent314
Participant

Mum at HS. Possibly they are going to do away with this product. The privacy lobby is becoming militant. Sad. But common. I imagine lawyers are hovering.

zaratops

@Agent314  This is the last straw then. I'm moving my membership elsewhere, sad to see this degrading on key fronts. Thank you for your replies.

Agent314
Participant

Then there is this example. This email went to 10 people. How helpful is this??? You said you would do something about this. Consider breaking radio silence, @mschnitt and have some honest dialog with your customers. Unless you don't work here any more. We're still here, Matt. Waiting for you to come out in the open. C'mon, man...  - Jeff

This is not helpful...!!!This is not helpful...!!!

red75116

@mschnitt   For the Love of God, can you please reactivate this feature until your crack team of product folks come up with another solution.  This is completly unusable.  Customer email that originally only went to 1 person, but their response needed action so it has been forwared to others and employees around the world have opened this email.  I can no longer tell if the customer is viewing this.  Please help us!!!!

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.24.14 AM.png

dyeaple

Loss of the email tracking location feature is really impacting the value of HubSpot for us. Please elevate the priority of fixing or improving this feature. Thank you!

robertotrujillo
Participant

The unique way to know if my email is open in america or europe is lost. This decision is wrong and harmful. 

No make sense use hubspot without this asset.  Now hubspot is just a tracker like others. 

JReinhardt

This is insane to not be able to know if it was me or the pending customer that opened the email. Geo tracking to a region is not spying on anyone because it is vague in nature. It you pinpointed the location to an area of  city I would see the issue. 

How about you atleast figure out that ONLY the customer can make the open notice go off.  

JMadelin

.... adding a voice to extreme frustration with this, particularly since this capability was useful years ago, in Hubspot, when it featured location tracking, and that HS have inexplicably downgraded it's capability.

So now, as above, tracking an email is pointless as most 'opens' are false positives and it's impossible to know if the person you've sent the email to is opening it, or it's being opened by for example, a colleague on 'cc'.

Made worse by the fact that it is supposedlypossible to 'allowlist' IP addresses in Hubspot, (for example your own office) so that opens by colleagues don't count. 

But it doesn't work. It just.... doesn't work; I can see the allowlisted IP address in settings, but it's ignored.

Any news Hubspot, on what's going on?

Participant

Breach of privacy? how. it just shows the city. apparantely not enough customers have complained yet so...... lol.

28840921_0-1677449031100.png