HubSpot Ideas

cpappas_auxin

Importing multiple email addresses for single contact

I am importing a CSV file with contacts that have multiple email addresses. Hubspot supports multiple email addresses in the "Email" field, which is wonderful, but the data cannot be imported this way.  To import, I had to create multiple email properties (primary email, alternate email, etc). I can manually add the multiple emails in the single "Email" property but I have a large number of contacts. Any automated way to do this?

Would recommend an enhancement to offer the ability to either import contacts in a way to add multiple email addresses  to the "Email" property. Or, offer a way, after the import, to copy the data from another property (e.g. "Alternate Email") to the "Email" property without overriding the current email (i.e. adding a second or third email).

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
December 18, 2023 06:58 AM

Hi everyone -- Alex from the import/export team here.

We just launched support for importing multiple email addresses (or company domains for the company object) within the import flow.

In your spreadsheet, you'd add an additional column for "Additional emails." Here, you can add many email addresses, separated by a semi-colon. On the mapping step of your import, simply map this column to a new property we've surfaced called "Additional email addresses" and you're done! 

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 5.01.36 PM.png

If you're importing companies, the same process can be followed for importing multiple domains. The property you'll want to map to is called "Additional domains."

Not Currently Planned
May 21, 2020 12:14 PM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, importing secondary emails is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

120 Replies
shatton
Participant

@CamilleCocaud No. It's sort of wierd how Hubspot's software does it. It will randomly assign all the emails as primary or secondary or 3rd... COMPLETELY random. It's so weird. But then you import the list again with just the primary. So essentially it looks like this:

1. Import contact list with primary emails addresses first. (you may have already done this, so maybe you can skip it)

2. Export contacts (to get the Hubspot ID)

3. Import the contacts with Hubspot ID next to email address make sure you use duplicate Hubspot IDs when the contact is the same and match based on Hubspot ID for the record.

4. Import the original list a final time to tell hubspot which email addresses are primary.

It took me quite a bit of trial error to finally figure this out.

shatton
Participant

@CamilleCocaud More clarification for step 3:

Hubspot ID | Email

123456 | sam@gmail.com

123456 | samuel@gmail.com

123456 | sammysmail@yahoo.com

... that would be an example of what 3 duplicate records would look like with different email addresses on each line. When you import it check the [ ] that say that you are importing based on Hubspot ID

You can do this with a giant list if you want.

CamilleCocaud

@shatton thanks a lot for explaining. Quite frankly it seems like a very convoluted way to do something that should be simple. I think I'll stick to my "email #2" property for now. Maybe if someday I have more time on my hands (if ever). 

Thanks a lot anyway! Hubspot you should make this feature, it shouldn't be this complicated to do such a simple thing. 

Timohoh
Participant

+1

MChandler1

Please build this feature. Surely having working import tools is basic functionality for a CRM.

JThomasCFP
Member | Partner

@shatton  I tried your steps but it didn't seem to work. Does this still work? 

smeloney

This is a major problem for me. The ability to import multiple email addresses for a single contact is crucial and basic. Exporting from google contacts into HubSpot just became a week-long project.

TRosic

Very disappointing, that this was not deemed relevant!

Hannass
Participant

Would be so useful 🙌
It could be like when importing multiple options properties, with ";".

mayte
Contributor | Elite Partner

giphy

AtsushiHanda
Member | Diamond Partner

+1

coke
HubSpot Employee

It would bue amazing to see this in HubSpot as many customers are interested in this idea. Hopefully one day! 😄 

APlestina

Please please please and also the ability to include the secondary email address when sending out email campaigns

DLediard

We would like this too!

SRutledge5

need this too

shatton
Participant

@JThomasCFP Sorry I missed your message. Did you check out my original workaround? Tedious but it should still work https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Importing-multiple-email-addresses-for-single-contact...

shatton
Participant

@Cochin I got a private email from you. Honestly, I'm not sure how to respond to private messages.

You wrote: 

I saw your workaround to import multiple email addresses for single contact. 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Importing-multiple-email-addresses-for-single-contact...

I thought about leveraging the Hubpot ID as well but when I'm trying I'm not that successful... 

I have an error code in the import: "duplicate_object_ID" that the contact ID has already been used. Do you have any idea what I could be missing or Hubspot udpated their import behavior in the meantime?

Thanks a lot

Try this one. Tedious but it should still work https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Importing-multiple-email-addresses-for-single-contact...

Cochin

@shatton thanks for your reply but I believe Hubspot updated the way to handle that. 

The process isn't working anymore. As you can see now, you can't check the don't override the data. 

The existing email disappears and gets replaced by the one contained in the spreadsheet.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 2.52.33 PM.png

qvant
Participant

Would be nice to get this feature. 

Especially required when you some contacts have personal and work email, that you have after events and other marketing campaigns.

YashMantry

Its been 1 year 
Can i now import multiple email address from one property or not ??

Because this is absolutely necessary in business now