HubSpot Ideas

cpappas_auxin

Importing multiple email addresses for single contact

I am importing a CSV file with contacts that have multiple email addresses. Hubspot supports multiple email addresses in the "Email" field, which is wonderful, but the data cannot be imported this way.  To import, I had to create multiple email properties (primary email, alternate email, etc). I can manually add the multiple emails in the single "Email" property but I have a large number of contacts. Any automated way to do this?

Would recommend an enhancement to offer the ability to either import contacts in a way to add multiple email addresses  to the "Email" property. Or, offer a way, after the import, to copy the data from another property (e.g. "Alternate Email") to the "Email" property without overriding the current email (i.e. adding a second or third email).

120 Replies
edmund
Participant | Platinum Partner

Please add this!!! Would be verrrrrrrrry helpful.

blind_gibbon

What timosborne is requesting is essential for my business. 

Please make this a top priority!

SkeeStylus
Contributor | Partner

Please make this happen. 

samglenn
Top Contributor

YES YES YES. We need this BADLY!

oSaid
Participant

pls

ellierdz
Contributor

Has anyone been able to solve this? same im migrating data from an old crm to Hubspot and I have multiple emails and wondering how to add them that is not manually im using import2 which is great but can't add multiple emails on the same one

Any help is appreciated

shatton
Participant

@ellierdz Yes. The workaround is quite simple.

Step 1: Create Contact Properties for Emails.

(IE. You will end up with "Email", "Email #2", "Email #3", "Email #4", "Email #5", "Email #6" ......... yes some of ours had 6 emails!!!!!!)

Step 2: Import the list with ALL emails

Step 3: Export the exact list you just imported wish only the email columns mentioned in Step 1.

(This will allow you to get the Hubspot Contact ID which you will need for the next step)

Step 4: Delete Email column, rename Email #2 to "Email".

Step 5: Import while mapping to Hubspot Contact ID

Step 6: Delete Email #2 column, rename Email #3 to Email

Step 7: Import. Import while mapping to Hubspot Contact ID

Step 8: Delete Email #3 column, rename Email #4  to Email

Step 9: Import while mapping to Hubspot Contact ID

Step 10: Delete Email #4 column, rename Email #5 to Email

Step 11: Import while mapping to Hubspot Contact ID

Step 12: Delete Email #5 column, rename Email #6 to Email

Step 13: Finally you will want to Import while mapping to Hubspot Contact ID the original exported file with ONLY Hubspot Contact ID & "Email"

(This final step will map all contacts to the correct "Primary" email).

Pain in the **bleep** right?!

ellierdz
Contributor

Hi @shatton ,

Thanks so much!! does make sense I will try it and see how it goes, yes we have the same case of 6 emails (rolling eyes) 

shatton
Participant

@ellierdz No worries. Another thing you COULD do ... but may be slightly more time consuming .... certainly more clean.

Step 1: Import like this AFTER you've exported.

Hubspot ID | email

123456 | johndoe2@email.com

123456 | johndoe3@email.com

123456 | johndoe4@email.com

123456 | johndoe5@email.com

123456 | johndoe6@email.com

123457 | chestermills2@email.com

123457 | chestermills3@email.com

123457 | chestermills4@email.com

123457 | chestermills5@email.com

123457 | chestermills6@email.com

Step 2: Import the entire list with the first email only to make sure to reset all emails to "primary". 

oSaid
Participant

Thanks Shatton - at least there is a way

sk0si
Contributor

Our contacts are our students and of course they get an extra e-mail address on our server. So we need to change primary & secondary email address frequently, so we need to get an easy way to handle that case. 

sk0si
Contributor

In our crm we have lots of students. They receive an email-account from us for the time of their education - so we have to change primary and secondary email addresses frequently. 

We have to do it manually right now, thats a big pain -.-

Please enable csv-import (or improve your api). 

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. At this time, importing secondary emails is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case.

timosborne

AllStarMed

I need this function also, please

swolfe

Yes, this would be very useful for anyone using HubSpot in an educational context. We need to be able to have a student's personal e-mail and student e-mail listed. Not having this capacity makes it difficult to do any integrations.

MatthewBoyd
Contributor | Elite Partner

Hey Guys, 

@Dave_ at Integration Fox is gauging interest in building a tool that can be easily added to your HubSpot Portal from the Marketplace that will take additional email addresses and add them as Secondary Emails regardless off whether it's at the time of import or retrospectively. 

If this is something you're interested in, please contact Dave at Integration Fox and let him know.  

P.S Integration Fox is a company that builds epic "minor" integrations that you can set up yourself really easily at a comparatively small, monthly fee considering the efficiency benefits they offer. e.g their Phone Number Formatter,\.

Cheers

CamilleCocaud

Same here, we have clients with subdomains and multiple email addresses each. I have created an email #2 field but it's not as powerful as having it as a secondary email. Build this feature please!

shatton
Participant

@CamilleCocaud IDK if you saw my work around, but it works really well. It took a lot of trial and error, but when all was said and done, this is the fastest way to get the result you are looking for: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Importing-multiple-email-addresses-for-single-contact...

CamilleCocaud

Hey @shatton 

Thanks a lot for that, I did miss it. Though I'm not sure I understand your protocol here. 

1. you export your contact list

2. create as many emails per contact as wanted, but always linking them to the same ID. 

3. Re-import

?

Won't that create import errors though as those email addresses should all be made "primary"?