HubSpot Ideas

CSGerdes

Import objects using other properties for deduplication

We wan't to use other properties when we are importing companies and contacts into HubSpot, besides the predefined properties used. (Companies = domain name; Contacts = email). 

For instance, it would be easy to just match companies based on company name. 

One thing, that we find would be highly valuable is to use unique company identifiers to match for duplication. 

We use the unique company identifiers that are used in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. So we know each company has a unique identifier, which would make duplicates redundant.  
we have made our own property with this unique identifier in HubSpot, so it would be an easy way too important companies. 

Please upgrade the import function.

9 Replies
RubyLiao

Agree.

Some of our companies don't have websites, so we don't use the Company Domain field.  Instead,  we have our own unique company identifier. so we suggest Hubspot set up a customizable deduplicated property for importing lists.

MYonova
Participant

We have companies (restaurant chains) that have the same names and domains, even though they are with different addresses. But we do have UID that differentiates each individual record, which we want to use as UID.

JenniferErena
Contributor

I would LOVE to see an option to match on another field.  Example - if I am updating my companies from my PSA system, I could uploade the ID from that system and import to match that field.  Since all my companies do not have domains, I must export from HubSpot, get the Company ID and match it to my import. 

OR

Importing when there is not a company domain.

OR 

Importing contacts to a company when you don't know an email.

Importing creates a lot of duplicates which increases the maintenance time tremendously.  

Having options to match would be a HUGE WIN for HubSpot.

KiG

HubSpot shoukd also have a default property for business I'd / association number which is used in public registries, ERPs and so on. We are kind of surprised this is not a built in company ID since it certainly is the most robust also making sure it is a legal company and enabling integrations with public company registries, ERPs and o on

AARock

Agree - this is a huge drawback for Hubspot.  We have 200k+ customers in a separate database with their own unique customer IDs.  We update these customer profiles live as customers interact with us.  Every single time we want to update, we have to download the entire Hubspot customer database and match our own internal customer ID to the Hubspot ID (Hubspot already has both of these fields).  This a massive waste of time and data usage (these are huge 50 gig downloads several times a minute).  The other solution is to maintain our own external database of Hubspot IDs (which, if we're doing that, why do we need the Hubspot database?).  This makes Hubspot impossible to use as an "add-on" to an existing customer database.  It's such a basic feature that I'm shocked Hubspot hasn't addressed this.  Salesforce allows unique-field imports with no problems (and I'm not even a fan of Salesforce).

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Ooh this would be so useful! 

We have to explain to our sales user clients who are *not* digital savvy, the entire process of exporting records including the Object ID, then doing a v-lookup in excel to put the Object ID on their data file, then importing their final file. Whereas if they could just select the Property that acts as a unique ID (since it's both in their file AND in Hubspot already), they'd be done in two clicks. 

RachelDME
Participant | Diamond Partner

A very needed feature. I work with clients where there may be multiple location of a business supported by the same domain, but they each have a unique site ID code assigned by the industry. Being able to use the industry ID as a unique identifier rather than the domain or HubSpot ID would be awesome.

MM360

This would be an incredibly useful feature. Creating a custom unique property is only so useful if you can't match against it in an import...

agirard
HubSpot Product Team

Hi there,

Alex from the import/export team here. We just finished the swing on this feature. Now, you can create a property that requires unique property validation within property settings, and use this property as a unique ID within your import across contacts, companies, deals, tickets, and custom objects. These unique IDs can be used to find existing records within your CRM, and dedupe/update them with information in your import file.

Give it a try, and please let us know if you hvae any feedback!