HubSpot Ideas

gregory18

HubSpot's Global Privacy Control response mechanism

Does HubSpot have a mechanism for us to use which will a honor a website visitor's Global Privacy Control signal? More information regarding GPC signals can be found here https://www.**bleep**.com/resources/insights/220831-california-attorney-general-announces-settlement...

*This is CCPA related, not GDPR, but there was no CCPA label below. 

21 Replies
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @gregory18 This article does a really good job of explaining the differences between CCPA and GDPR, which might be helpful to you in understanding how you can use the GDPR settings to comply with CCPA.

gregory18

That does not answer the question. I'm asking about the Global Privacy Control which was part of a recent CCPA settlement. A Global Privacy Control is a web browser control that allows a website visitor to signal its privacy preferences to a website without manually reaching out to it. The California Attorney General made statements regarding thevGlobal Privacy Control last month, available at https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-bonta-announces-settlement-sephora-part-ongo....

Jnix284

Hi @gregory18  I'm sorry that I wasn't able to be more helpful, I didn't realize that CCPA had the requirement to signal privacy preferences without manually reaching out, which is how GDPR is currently set up. Perhaps someone else in the community will have a better answer for you.

gregory18

Hi Jennifer, can you please submit this question to another Hubspot tech support? 

Jnix284

@gregory18 I don't work for HubSpot, I'm a member of the community just like you.

@kvlschaefer do you know anyone who might be able to help answer Gregory's question about CCPA?

JHutchens

We're also interested in a solution here. For those who are unaware, Global Privacy Control is a third party tool that allows users to opt out of cookies from a centralized setting versus each opting in or out on each site. Some states, depending on the situation, could require your website to recognize the signal sent from GPC. I'd be interested in hearing if HubSpot has a way to identify this signal and respond appropriately with cookies. 

kvlschaefer
Community Manager

Hi @Jnix284,

Thanks for tagging me in, and apologies for the delay @gregory18

I wanted to share this related website from HubSpot's legal team which provides a general overview of CCPA Compliance and how HubSpot is helping our customers prepare for the CCPA. 

I also wanted to share this snippet from the website:

"Since the CCPA is not finalized and is subject to amendment by the CA legislature, we aren’t able to make representations with respect to our compliance with the CCPA. What we know is the following: 

1. There is and will likely continue to be a significant amount of overlap between the CCPA and the GDPR.
  2. HubSpot has extensive resources on GDPR, including this playbook, that explain our product and system features and functionality used by us and by our customers to support ​​compliance with GDPR.
  3. A good portion of the existing product and system features, processes and policies (that are currently used for GDPR compliance) may be used in the same ways for compliance with CCPA (in whatever final form). Example: you may handle Access and Deletion Requests (these are currently requirements under both bodies of law) by using our existing functionality.
  4. We will provide more information on our official CCPA playbook or other resources once the CCPA is finalized and as they become available.

In the coming months, we’ll be keeping up to date with the CCPA and track its changes over time. Be on the lookout for new blog posts and updates by subscribing to our blog." 

Please note that this website is not legal advice and provides a brief overview of CCPA. I would recommend consulting with your legal counsel to get a full interpretation of this law as it is evolving. 

I hope this helps!

Best,

Kristen

gregory18

Hey Kristen, the CCPA has been finalized and that is the law that California's AG used here https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-bonta-announces-settlement-sephora-part-ongo.... The blog you linked is out of date. 

JKloian

Now  that the law is finalized - what is Hubspot's plan to support such a Global Privacy request from a browser?

kvlschaefer
Community Manager

Hi @JKloian,

Thanks for reaching out!

I would recommend consulting HubSpot's Legal's website for the most up-to-date information on data privacy laws and other legal matters. 

Thank you,

Kristen 

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @gregory! My name is Rada and I'm a product manager for HubSpot's cookie banner team. I'm happy to share that adding a GPC response mechanism to HubSpot is indeed something that is currently in development.

I'd love to get your direct input, so I'm sending you a DM so we can connect.  

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

ROKelly0

Hi @radapop . Just DM you. The GPC compliance is now a business critical issue for our org as well. Could you share any details regarding a plan as to how Hubspot can address the signal response?

MLong8
Participant | Diamond Partner

@radapop I also just DM you. This is also business-critical for my client. We are anxiously waiting more information

BDobson

@radapop  We are also anxiously awaiting your response to this question. 

Does our Company’s website (hosted with Hubspot) respond to Global Privacy Control signals?

Please let us know when you might have an answer.

Thanks!

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone! Thanks for the additional comments here.

At this time, the plan is to offer no-code support for GPC signaling on both HubSpot-hosted and external websites using the HubSpot tracking code. We'll have Knowledge Base documentation created around this new feature once we are closer to launch. 

In the meantime, please continue upvoting this request. I'll be responding to some of the DMs I've received to participate in our early Alpha and Beta tests within the next month or two. 

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone! I'm happy to share that we've moved to private beta with HubSpot's support for GPC. If you currently have a Marketing or CMS Professional subscription and above, you can request beta access by filling out this form: https://forms.gle/FbM7bKbqjniZrNTFA

Read more about support for GPC here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/turn-on-support-for-global-privacy-control

HubSpotAlumni

I've opted into the GPC beta and it's great aside from the fact that we can't identify who was identified as having a GPC signal, and being able to do so is critical for us to maintain a compliant database. (Context: we need to be able to exclude contacts with a GPC signal from our email marketing.)

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @HubSpotAlumni! This is great feedback, thank you very much for sharing. We've heard this feedback from a few other users as well, so it's something we are investigating for future iterations of this feature. 

As a further announcement, support for GPC is now in Public Beta for all HubSpot users. Super Admins can self-enroll their accounts into the beta using the steps listed here.

radapop
HubSpot Product Team

Support for GPC is now live for all HubSpot users! More details can be found in our Knowledge Base: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/privacy-and-consent/turn-on-support-for-global-privacy-control