HubSpot Ideas

WarrenE

Home page should load in users language automatically

HubSpot allows creating of multiple languages for the homepage, but in order for a user to see the homepage in their own language (based on their browser localle) they need to manually change to their own language via the "language switcher" 

This does not provide a great user experience, my idea is that HubSpot load the relevant language homepage based on users locale.

We have implemented a client side JavaScript redirect work-around for this, but requires default page to load first, which is sub-optimal user experience.

Atualizações da HubSpot
September 07, 2020 09:09 AM

@pdrolet yes, smart content supports browser language (and country), but this thread is suggesting "HubSpot load the relevant language homepage based on users locale" - the entire page. My response was about that use case, not smart content (which has a different purpose). As I wrote last time, there certainly are some cases where automatic redirection based on browser language makes sense, but there are a number of other approaches you could take to help a visitor get to the language they want, detailed in my previous posts on this topic (one easy option is using the smart content approach where you point a visitor to the page language that matches their browser -- note, smart content is not suggested for an entire page, for SEO reasons). 

This decision has been carefully considered. I've done a lot of research, heard from numerous multi-language HubSpot customers all over the world, consulted with the localization team here at HubSpot, and discussed this with other product managers. This particular feature may be revisited in the future, but at this time there are a number of other features that are more highly requested and urgently needed by customers.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please message me! I'd be happy to set up a time to speak with you and get into the details 😊

All the best,

Snaedis 

Status atualizado para: Not Currently Planned
August 14, 2020 09:55 AM

Hello,

It sounds like you're assuming that someone's preferred language will be determined by where they're located - but over 40% of the world's population speaks at least two languages, and some countries have more than one official language (many others, of course, have very diverse and multi-lingual populations). I replied a while ago to a similar idea which I'll link to here (about auto-redirecting based on IP address)

I can imagine some situations where a setup like you describe could make sense for a website, but in most cases it's not going to be the best approach, so we don't plan to build an out-of-the-box option for this. I can imagine a future where we do offer something like a banner which you can put on your site (along the lines of the popup message you'll see if you visit an site that doesn't match your country, try adobe.fr or adobe.de), but it's a nice-to-have at this time. We have some more work to do to better support multi-market customers before we can tackle that one 🙂 

One other thing which might help: if you haven't already, you might want to consider purchasing the country-code top level domains for the countries your targeting, and either using them for your site or redirecting to the corresponding /subdirectory. That way, someone choosing to visit domain.fr can reasonably expect to land on a French page and they're unlikely to need to use the language switcher, though it's there in the header if they need it.

An example of the popup I describe, which is a nice feature if it makes sense for your website and visitors: 

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 12.50.28 PM.png

21 Comentários
liesbethhermans
Participante

I agree that this is a very basic feature that is needed for anyone using multi-language sites. Especially in Europe. This might be an argument to use another CMS.