HubSpot Ideas

STaruc

Google Enhanced Conversions through HubSpot

My marketing team would love to have anonymized lead data sent to Google Ads for accurate conversion information via Google's Enhanced Conversions for both web and leads.

Enhanced Conversions work by sending hashed lead details to Google, which then matches that data to its own records . This can be implemented throughout frontend means as at least one user has tried, but more and more users and browsers are preventing tracking scripts and pixels from loading. Similar to Facebook/Meta's Conversions API, incorporating Enhanced Conversions through the Google Ads API will help track conversions more reliably, and help further optimize ad campaigns.

HubSpot already uses the Google Ads API to allow users to manage Google ad campaigns in HubSpot, and HubSpot forms already capture lead information necessary to send to Google for EC data, so it seems like there's existing runway here for implementation.

Here's more information for Enhanced Conversions: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/9888656

25 Replies
jkeough78
Contributor | Partner

I just spoke to Google Ads technical implementation team. They confirmed that, as of now, the only way to get Enhanced Conversions to work is if the form fields are passed as URL Parameters to the 'thank you' page like this: https://www.mywebsite.com/thanks?email=john@gmail.com

Please update HubSpot forms so the form fields are passed in this way. The Google rep told me that every other major platform (squarespace, webflow, etc) already does this.

SaketMaheshwari

Having the capability to pass the required parameters will really help implement it easily. Would love to see it added as a feature!

ZItani
Participant

100% please implement this Hubspot!

TGil
Participant

I subscribe to that idea, it's crucial!

KKusiak

100% agree!

katie_koenig
HubSpot Product Team

Hi folks,

I’m Katie, the Product Lead for HubSpot’s Ads tool.

Thank you all for taking the time to submit, upvote, and comment on this Idea. I'm happy to report that this Idea is now In Planning! This means that our engineers are actively building this feature.

The product development process is always filled with unexpected bumps and hurdles, so I can't give a timeline, but I am confident in saying we'll deliver this feature as soon as possible.

All updates will be relayed on this thread, so stay tuned!

Best,

Katie

STaruc
Contributor

@katie_koenig Thanks, Katie and the HubSpot team. Thanks everyone else for the upvotes.

bhascher
Contributor

Thx for the update @katie_koenig. Please let us known if there's a (closed) beta being released. Our advertising team is eager to test it and to prepare rolling this out for our HubSpot customers.

KKingsley
Participant

I appreciate your letting us know that this is in the works @katie_koenig, our team is working on a Beta with Google and are eager to have this implemented into our account. If a beta release is coming out, we would also like to be a part of it. 

ZItani
Participant

@katie_koenig  we are also interested in beta of this Google Ads feature in hubspot please do add us to the list as well.

ALunaJust

I've found a way to do it through GTM, thanks to a kind stranger on stackoverflow

<script type="text/javascript">
  window.addEventListener("message", function(event) {
    if(event.data.type === 'hsFormCallback' && event.data.eventName === 'onFormSubmitted') {
      window.dataLayer.push({
        'event': 'hubspot-form-success',
        'hs-form-guid': event.data.id,
        'email': Object.keys(hubspot._emailValidationAndResubCache)[0]
      });
    }
  });
</script>

This will push the clean email address to the dataLayer as part of the event array:

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 19.58.04.png

EMartin51
Participant

@ALunaJust Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for, finally able to get the email address  🚀

ZItani
Participant

@ALunaJust nice! thanks for the insight...

auto-mate
Top Contributor

@katie_koenig Can you give a clue as to when the GEC will be ready? For those of us planning our GA4 updates and rebuilding events etc etc... now is a great time!

RomainG

@katie_koenig Do you have news please ?

hakanproax
Contributor

Great idea! Hubspot doesn't pull ecommerce metrics from google analytics. How do you track website sales metrics and know the source of sales (whether coming from existing customer /new customer / stage of customer)? 

STaruc
Contributor

@hakanproax This feature as it's described so far won't help identify conversion attribution or customer journeys. I haven't used Hubspot's Sales features, but using the Marketing platform, you could create a custom behavioral event that fires after purchase, per purchase, that has properties for: product name or SKU, product value, and/or anything else you're looking to track. Hubspot would automatically associate these events with right contact object.

If this conversion info is already being pulled into GA and you prefer the information there, then you just need to set up a connecting ID between GA and Hubspot to de-anonymize users and see their associated ecommerce data.

hakanproax
Contributor

@STarucThanks so much for the valuable information. On Friday, one of my teammates informed me about this feature and we already started working on it Hopefully, your idea is implemented soon and we can all take advantage of it.

Have a wonderful day, 😊

Waran

Looks like the most popular listener script stopped working - at least with 

'email': Object.keys(hubspot._emailValidationAndResubCache)[0]

in place.  Can anyone confirm that? I also found this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleTagManager/comments/z048dr/gtm_hubspot_form_listener_script_stopped_w...

Can anyone confirm that this script is not working anymore? Any possible workarounds?

JoshMyself

@Waran I'm not sure if it's that specific line, but that is the code we were using in Google Tag Manager, and the script stopped reporting conversions to Google Analytics and Ads for us about the 12th November 2022, (which tanked our ad performance for any campaigns targetting conversions). 

For Marketing Hub Pro users, there's this option now in Beta: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/create-and-sync-ad-conversion-events-with-your-google-ads-account (But we've not quite been able to get this working for us yet, maybe because of using a Google Ads manager account).

In the meantime we're currently using this, (but also only for Marketing Hub Pro or Enteprise users): https://knowledge.hubspot.com/create-and-sync-ad-conversion-events-with-your-google-ads-account