HubSpot Ideas

CE

Google Advanced Protection

Per this thread, HubSpot is not verified by Google. If HubSpot were to make a minimal version of their Google integration that would be compantible with Google Advanced Protection, more of our users would be able to make full use of HubSpot.

HubSpot Updates
Not Currently Planned
October 20, 2023 11:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback here. The reason some of our Google integrations are blocked by Advanced Protection is answered by this FAQ from Google:

• Why is access to apps being controlled? By default, apps that require high-risk Gmail and Google Drive access are automatically blocked. Exceptions are all Google apps, Apple native iOS apps, and the Mozilla Thunderbird mail client.

For example, in order for our Gmail integration to work, we need access to read and write emails on your behalf, which is considered high-risk. We have confirmed with Google that there is no additional level of verification they offer that would remove this exception. The list of exceptions in the FAQ is exhaustive.

However, this does not mean you cannot integrate with HubSpot. See this FAQ:

• Some apps are critical for our business. How can I allow them to be used? Admins can approve the access of certain connected apps. The Admin initialized list of approved apps is honored and any app that is considered high-risk (see above) and not in the admin approved list is blocked.

Instructions for your Google admin to approve access to HubSpot, without disabling Advanced Protection, can be found here. We have added this information to our knowledgebase as well.

If I have misunderstood anything about your concerns, please let me know!

9 Replies
LGirard
Participant | Partner

Agreed - this would make a world of difference...as a new member to the Hubspot community this bump is really frustrating. 

segnit

This is critical. We've deployed Google Advance Protection across our entire company. Its FREE and a massive boost to security. Clearly its possible to meet Google's requirements as other companies have. Likely just a few hours for a good programmer. Without it a LOT of Hubspot functionality must be lost by those of us trying to be ahead of the curve on adopting the best security.

dwf
Contributor

This is critical for healthtech and fintech companies with data policies to enforce. Could someone from Hubspot please explain why this need is not being met?

KWhelan
Contributor

Has anyone found a workaround to this? It's a major issue for my team as well. 

HarryAdney

Yep, we need this, or some other secure workaround.

KWhelan
Contributor

I find this issue to be insanely frustrating. When we signed with Hubspot, I was not aware that we could not utilize some major pieces of Hubspot functionality if we have Google Advanced Protection in place. I cannot tell you how much of my time has gone into trying to find a workaround and it's been a significant drag on several other team members as well, all to no resolve.  Not only are we sinking time into trying to solve it, it's been a roadblock in onboarding team members. We started onboarding Hubspot nearly two months ago and this is a major issue to this day. What we're testing right now is creating a separate inbox for our sales team members that cannot access our google drive. This is not a sufficient workaround even if we can get it working, but will allow us to wall off critical company information if one of these less protected accounts is compromised.  

It goes deeper than protection for our accounts. Not only are we unwilling to turn Google Advanced Protection off for ourselves, we're worried about Hubspot having access to our files given Hubspot was recently compromised and compromised it's clients due to a breach of an employee account, which to my understanding is what Google Advanced Protection helps protect against: https://www.cmswire.com/digital-marketing/hackers-target-cryptocurrency-companies-in-hubspot-data-br...

Hubspot also uses gmail and Hubspot, so you'd think it would be in it's own best interest to solve this. I was told my multiple people on the team that Hubspot support hardly comes across this, it's not a priority, and won't be anytime soon. In the meantime, this has really soured my experience with Hubspot. 

TShukert47
Participant

Enabling the advanced protection program is essential to protect your business from attackers. Not supporting it cannot be tolerated. 

metorresc

Absolutely necessary, security is our Job 0 and this needs to be a Priority for HubSpot too.

hroberts
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback here. The reason some of our Google integrations are blocked by Advanced Protection is answered by this FAQ from Google:

• Why is access to apps being controlled? By default, apps that require high-risk Gmail and Google Drive access are automatically blocked. Exceptions are all Google apps, Apple native iOS apps, and the Mozilla Thunderbird mail client.

For example, in order for our Gmail integration to work, we need access to read and write emails on your behalf, which is considered high-risk. We have confirmed with Google that there is no additional level of verification they offer that would remove this exception. The list of exceptions in the FAQ is exhaustive.

However, this does not mean you cannot integrate with HubSpot. See this FAQ:

• Some apps are critical for our business. How can I allow them to be used? Admins can approve the access of certain connected apps. The Admin initialized list of approved apps is honored and any app that is considered high-risk (see above) and not in the admin approved list is blocked.

Instructions for your Google admin to approve access to HubSpot, without disabling Advanced Protection, can be found here. We have added this information to our knowledgebase as well.

If I have misunderstood anything about your concerns, please let me know!