HubSpot Ideas

Krissmac

Functionality so gmail unsubscribe link appears in email

Hi,

I'm hoping you can add functionality to make sure that "Unsubscribe" appears in the gmail header, as described here.

I was informed that at this point in time HubSpot does not have the ability to set the list-unsubscribe link that appears next to the from address within Gmail and Outlook, so I'm requesting that it be added so we can be as spam-proof as possible!

Thanks,

Kristina McMenamin

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
September 20, 2017 09:44 AM

Idea Submitted
September 20, 2017 09:16 AM

September 19, 2017 07:11 AM

Hey @Anna-T,

I just tested this out for Office 365 Outlook and the list unsubscribe is present. The list unsubscribe header will always be added to outgoing email sent by HubSpot on your behalf. However it can depend on reputation whether the option is presented to the end user. This is entirely up to the recipient's client. HubSpot will not have control over the recipient's client's decision to present the list-unsubscribe option or not.

If you want to provide an example send the email headers of a HubSpot email without the List-Unsubscribe option and ask your IT team if it was stripped out somewhere along the line from HubSpot to your inbox. If so, ask why, they will have the most visibility into the security mechanisms in place that caused this. If the list-unsubscribe header is present then Outlook may be ignoring it for some reason, perhaps the version.

I also communicated this to Support.

Best,

-Paxton

Already Exists
September 14, 2017 06:31 PM

This functionality already exists.

The List-Unsubscribe header should be in all of the marketing emails we send out.

I just sent myself a test to ensure this is being added correctly. It looks to be. If you send yourself a marketing email from your own portal, and show the headers in Gmail you should see a line something like this:

List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:1axc8p5842pps049nxdek8jz2e05v9mgwv4xhy-pnicholas=hubspot.com@bf01a.hubspotemail.net?subject=unsubscribe>

I unsubscribed using this button and the app listened to the event unsubscribing my contact record. It is a mailto link.

If you have an instance where this is not working you can contact Support by phone at 1 888 482 7768 ext. 3 or through the Help tab in the bottom right while signed into your HubSpot portal.

15 Replies
Anna-T
Participant

Yes, very important! Outlook offers the same functionality (list unsubscribe). 

Here's some background info and why this is important:
Outlook, Gmail (and other email tools) offer an ADDITIONAL way to unsubscribe from Emails, it's called List Unsubscribe. It shows as a pop-up window with an "unsubscribe" buttton at the top of emails that are sent to a large list of recipients. They offer this so that people can unsubscribe even from lists that don’t offer the unsubscribe link themselves in the footer. If this is configured properly in our emails, a person clicking on this will be properly unsubscribed from our list. If it’s not set up correctly, the button that shows will be called "Block sender" instead of "unsubscribe". If a person clicks on this, their Outlook will block us as a sender. This will impact our sending reputatoin. These are articles that I found: http://www.list-unsubscribe.com http://www.list-unsubscribe.com We have to configure this correctly in Hubspot so that Outlook can communicate correctly with our Hubspot list, and unsubscribe contacts.

Here's a good summary: https://blog.returnpath.com/evolution-of-list-unsubscribe that links to a page explaining the technical details about the unsubscribe header: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html

arinker
Top Contributor | Partner

Very important, because it has an direct influence to the email sender reputation.

A mail address target will be necessary to unsubscribe, due to a decision of Microsoft (Outlook) and Google.

They will only accept the mailto: version for list-unsubscribe in the future.

This is because only the mailto: version allows a one-click-action.

The http: version instead, forces to user to go to an unsubscribe page first.

Good article about that topic (in German): http://www.experian.de/blogs/marketing-insights/der-list-unsubscribe-header-und-microsoft-outlook/

paxton
HubSpot Product Team

This functionality already exists.

The List-Unsubscribe header should be in all of the marketing emails we send out.

I just sent myself a test to ensure this is being added correctly. It looks to be. If you send yourself a marketing email from your own portal, and show the headers in Gmail you should see a line something like this:

List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:1axc8p5842pps049nxdek8jz2e05v9mgwv4xhy-pnicholas=hubspot.com@bf01a.hubspotemail.net?subject=unsubscribe>

I unsubscribed using this button and the app listened to the event unsubscribing my contact record. It is a mailto link.

If you have an instance where this is not working you can contact Support by phone at 1 888 482 7768 ext. 3 or through the Help tab in the bottom right while signed into your HubSpot portal.

Anna-T
Participant

Hi @paxton,

thanks for the update - that's great! However, it doesn't seem to exist for Outlook, does it? Outlook also has this functionality, and most of our emails go to business addresses that use Outlook.

Would be great if you could also instruct your Support team of this, because I've asked them and they said it doesn't exist. First I had to explain at lenght what I mean, and then they said no. 

Thanks

Anna

paxton
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @Anna-T,

I just tested this out for Office 365 Outlook and the list unsubscribe is present. The list unsubscribe header will always be added to outgoing email sent by HubSpot on your behalf. However it can depend on reputation whether the option is presented to the end user. This is entirely up to the recipient's client. HubSpot will not have control over the recipient's client's decision to present the list-unsubscribe option or not.

If you want to provide an example send the email headers of a HubSpot email without the List-Unsubscribe option and ask your IT team if it was stripped out somewhere along the line from HubSpot to your inbox. If so, ask why, they will have the most visibility into the security mechanisms in place that caused this. If the list-unsubscribe header is present then Outlook may be ignoring it for some reason, perhaps the version.

I also communicated this to Support.

Best,

-Paxton

Anna-T
Participant

Hi @paxton,

ok, thank you - I will check that 🙂 

Cheers,

Anna

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team

paxton
HubSpot Product Team

WoolSweater

Adding to this - I just confirmed with HS support that the list-unsubscribe header does not get included in test emails (so you won't see it e.g. sending tests to mail-tester.com, but the header does get included in production sends.  Hope that helps!

Karen_Marketing
Participant

Hey everybody,

I have a question: If users unsusbcribe via the email clients unsubscribe button, what happens in Hubspot? Are they automatically unsubscribed for ALL subscription types we have drawed up? Or is it dependend on the unsubscribe link we use at the bottom of our email (eg. unsubscribe from all, link to preference center etc.)?

Thanks.

CUhl

Hey everyone! When I sent out an email via Gmail, then the unsubscribe Link does not appear in the header or footer. Now that Gmail and Yahoo require the unsubscribe Link also in 1:1 Emails, it would be amazing, if we can add the feature. I also just talked with the customer support who shared, that this is currently not possible. 

Thank you so much!

SLee9
Participant

Pls add the feature to add unsubscribe link from Hubspot in Gmail - as our sales team member sends out email directly from Gmail

MD17

+1 on adding the HubSpot unsubsribe link to Gmail

Our sales team mostly send emails directly from Gmail, so it would be super useful if they could include this in their signature using the HubSpot chrome extension

Viviane1

This should be made prio due to the strict 'adding an unsubscribe link' for sales emails laws worldwide by 1. Feb 2024.

In the meantime I used a work around it with a form and automatic workflow to allow this contact to unsubcribe manually.

MD17

Hey @Viviane1, please could you share your workflow setup with us?