HubSpot Ideas

johnwilliamcook

Filter Boolean logic ignores blanks and seems VERY broken

Hi All,

tl;dr

Filtering by condition "[PROPERTY A] is none of [X]" ignores records where that field is blank. This is just plain inaccurate, and has been fixed and broken, recognized and ignored by turns for at least a year.

Explanation and Rant

I am building a report on deals using the new report builder. Several of my filters use the language "[PROPERTY A] is none of [X]". These filters do NOT return all deals that fit these criteria because they ignore all deal records where [PROPERTY A] is not known. Support reps seem to be unaware of this bug, or even unwilling to consider it a bug at all.

To put this in simple terms, consider a test involving a line of bottles. Some have blue sand them, some have red sand, some have yellow, some are empty. If I ask you to show me all of the bottles that don't have red sand, and you don't include the empty bottles in your answer, YOU WOULD FAIL THE TEST.

Filters in HubSpot used to work correctly. Then, after an update (about a year ago if memory serves), they stopped including blank entries. Alarm bells went off for many of us as all of our reports suddenly showed vastly different data overnight. Calls were made to support and within a week, HubSpot had released a "fix", of sorts, where you had to specify with each filter whether you wanted to include blank values. Not fixed, obviously, as the filter itself had already specified, logically, whether blank values were to be included, but ok. Then that option went away as the issue was actually fixed. Fantastic! Now the issue is back. I spoke to support a month ago and my rep checked to see if there was any "chatter" from dev about it. Sure enough, there was a known issue. Great, HubSpot's on it. Now, a month later, I call back twice as the issue is persisting and neither support rep is familiar with this or even concerned that reports DON'T DISPLAY THE DATA THEY PURPORT TO DISPLAY, and when they check the chatter, there's no known issue. They also didn't seem super anxious to report this as an issue.

So this is me reporting it as an issue. A really, really big issue. I realize that everyone who reports something broken or missing holds it up as the most glaring, important, deal breaking, earth shattering issue imaginable. But in this case, it's kind of a big deal.

6 Replies
AndyNorfolkUK

Hi

I'm just replying to bounce this on as this is also causing us a big inconvenience.

A

COlsen6

I also want to bump this- major flaw.

FMaher
Contributor

I am more than happy to select the 'include records where field is blank'. This functionality means that if I use a property as a filter, I have to ensure every record has a value in that field. This has caused days and days of headaches for me.

Amaycol3

Currently having the same issue. I want a filter to show me any deals with an unassigned stage (which is a lot and majority of them) and I cannot - how is that possible? The bottle anology is perfect... any repsonse from anyone at Hubspot on this?? 

YHeymans

Similar issue.

Without the additional filter:

YHeymans_3-1665148933803.png

Without the is true filter:

YHeymans_1-1665148868142.png

Without the negative filter including empty fields:

YHeymans_2-1665148903626.png

Even the "Is know" and the "Is not known" don't add up to the expected total of 363.

Seems like some companies have another state than empty or filled.... 

DChase
Participant

For me, my workaround was to add an additional AND filter if the variable "is known" or "is unknown" (depending on what I was trying to achieve).