HubSpot Ideas

Dylan

Enable the CRM Cards API for custom objects

It would be great if the CRM Cards API could be used with custom object records. 

This is currently something the product team is interested in hearing use cases for and measuring customer feedback on, so we would love to hear from you! 

12 Replies
nikan
Participant | Elite Partner

I am working on a client project and that is a HUGE need as are the other developer tools / app features (webhooks and timeline events). Not being able to use these with custom objects severely limits the utility of custom objects for the use cases I encounter. 

I'm not sure how they're working under the hood, but enabling them to work with a portal Id so that they're accesible via a regular API key rather than in an app would seem to enable the flexibility of working with custom objects within a workspace / account, preserving the uniqueness of custom objects in the account. 

I definitely upvote this.

mgandi
Participant

Hello @Dylan,

I am craving for this feature. We manufacture drones for indoor inspection and use HubSpot (Marketing), SalesForce (Sales), and Odoo (Operations) along the way. We are exploring the use of HubSpot to build a Customer Portal and enabling CRM Cards on custom objects would definitely be a killer.

Today I am able to extract at runtime all the drones that have been shipped as part of a given deal. This means I can easily find which instance of our drone has been sold to which client. This information is only available in Odoo but I can easily retrieve the information at runtime from the deal.

I'm also synchronizing the Odoo database of drones with HubSpot through custom objects. For that I had to make a custom sync system (I would have loved to be able to make a custom sync app using HubProfessional but this is not available either). Every time a drone is created in Odoo I create one in HubSpot and every time a flight log is submitted I update the drone flight time and information accordingly.

What I can not do, however, is extracting the deal through which an instance of a drone has been sold. This would easily be implemented if only I could use the CRM Card API on a custom object. In this specific case, I would use the drone serial number and search through the Odoo database how it is linked to a deal and traceback the information. I could potentially create an additional webhook (as part of my sync system) to create the association between a deal and a drone  but I don't see the point of duplicating this information between Odoo and HubSpot. I forced to do it for the flight time thing I described above but if I did not have to I would have not done it.

I hope this use case helps you understand how this would be used. On a side note, I think the CRM Card feature is absolutely awesome and is one of the things that make HubSpot way better than SalesForce when it comes to customization now that we can create custom object.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Cheers!

Marc G.

Brockie
Member | Diamond Partner

Hi @Dylan 

This is something my team would absolutely love as well.

We have several clients with custom objects that we'd like to be able to perform actions on from within the object screen.

One example that has just come up recently is a client who has a "Project Leads" object that comes from a third party API.

We'd like to be able to open a project lead, review it, and if the client belives it is a worthwhile lead, to be able to "convert" it to a deal.

Workflows could potentially get us part of the way to what we wanted to deliver, but there is a lot of background processing and data that could be done far more efficiently through the API if we were able to trigger that action via an action on a custom CRM card.

Cheers,

Michael 🙂

LMeert
Guide | Platinum Partner

Hi @Dylan,

We are also interested in using such a feature. One of our client needs to have a photo gallery associated with every record of a custom object.
We thought about building an app using CRM cards to make that possible but were surprised that this was only possible with stock objects.

We were planning to use Google Drive and create one directory per record to manage the upload / visualization of the photo gallery.
Hope this helps,

Ludwig

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

@Dylan definitely interested in this idea. I've got multiple very concrete use cases I'd love to discuss with you in detail if that helps. Like others here I was operating under the assumption that CRM cards for custom objects was possible just like other objects. Examples of use cases:

Client A is a dealership. They sell new and used vehicles which are stored as CO records in Hubspot. They want a connection to their national vehicle database to fetch vehicle metadata from that database. We conceptualized this as a CRM card with a button to do the fetching.

Client B buys, refurbishes and sells industrial equipment. Each piece of machinery is unique and stored as CO records. The HS quote creation process is too convoluted for their tastes, so they want to create quote emails using an external service. Developer conceptualized it as a CRM card on the machinery records, with a button that spits out the quote email HTML. They were quite far ahead in this process until they discovered CRM cards are not an option on CO records.

spotthehub
Participant

Just chiming in to say that I would love to see this expansion to using CRM cards on custom objects as well.  We'd like to be able to display custom associated objects on a custom object's page.   IE attendees to an event, instead of all contacts associated with the event. 

sejal_parikh
HubSpot Product Team

Hello! I work with Hubspot as a product manager, and currently looking into use cases for UI Extensibility for Hubspot portals. 

We are looking to invite Enterprise customers and partners for the upcoming private beta (July 14). This beta enables developers to extend Hubspot's UI for their business use cases, on multiple extension points - beginning with the CRM records page right side panel and a new middle panel tab. Developers can create new CRM cards and card apps with UI components, deploy and host them on the Hubspot platform using serverless functions. These tools involve using a new developer home, development sandboxes, developer projects, private apps, and a growing library of components.

If you are interested in participating in this beta, please fill out this form, or message me: https://forms.gle/5KMV1UUkDHRY58Wv6. If you cannot participate in the beta but still want to chat about it, that's great too!

Thank you!

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

@sejal_parikh wanted to submit the form, but it's not accessible to people outside of your org it seems.

sejal_parikh
HubSpot Product Team

Thank you @Bob2245 for pointing this out! The form is open now, can you try again?

HubSpotSuprAdmn
Participant

Yes please.

TKahnoski

Interested in this but without the self-hosting etc...

Is the Cards API able to associate custom objects on a non-Enterprise plan? That would basically solve this for us.

SiddharthGarg91
Participant

Hi Team, we are an app partner and have received this request from customers & HubSpot SEs on multiple occassions.

Our app, CloudFiles, uses the cards API on contact, companies, deals & tickets to insert a widget onto these records. The widget can be used to associate live files & folders sitting in external storages such as Google Drive, SharePoint etc... It can also be used to create public sharing links and see analytics through dialogs that are launched when something in Actions dropdown is clicked. Additonally, we also provide workflow actions that can auto-associate these files.

One of the primary requirements we have come across is being able to associate files & folders on custom objects from external sources. If connected app workflow actions can be run on custom object triggered workflows, this solves the second layer of issues. If dialogs can be launched through action dropdown, that would cover even more requirements. I think these 3 base features can collectively solve for more than 50% custom object use-cases that we come across.

Here are 2 images of the type of tiles we create in the widget with the actions dropdown and also the type of actions we offer in the workflows. Hope this can be provided soon.

SiddharthGarg91_0-1676396415971.pngSiddharthGarg91_1-1676396463509.png