HubSpot Ideas

Captshawn

Enable Smart Content on Rich Text in Custom Modules

Since the addition of custom modules into the Design Manager Tool, templates are being built using these custom modules.
But these modules does not support smart content what makes its use limited of specific.
ie: Best custom module idea is a Banner module, but a banner is the first place where smart content needs or can be applied.
I understand the coding complexity for making the custom module entirely smart but It will be more than enough if we can add Smart Content tool into rich text modules in custom modules.

57 Replies
smondeau
Participant

Having the same issue. While it satisfies me as a developer and helps add alot of efficiency to our processes - without the use of smart content it almost becomes useless and then trying to prove the value of using these at all or even HubL for me becomes a losing game. To a marketer if it cannot be enabled with smart content it becomes unusable. For me as a developer without custom modules we cant customize and speed up our process, we cant provide the tools for out content creators to be independent and efficient. Its kind of a bad circle to be in.

Qt
Contributor

On our landing pages, we have forms that popup upon click of the CTA button. To do this, we had to make a custom modal popup module. It works nicely, but now I'd like to use this module for smart content and can't. Could HubSpot at least create a modal popup module that allows for smart content? 

kleonard
HubSpot Product Team

alexquintly

That would be great for us as well

mollymetzger
Contributor

I agree - this would be a great feature. 

SarahCame
Participant

Please do this! I'm currenlt trying to figure out a workaround using a smart CTA in a banner...

mathijsonegini
Participant

Same here

Hubmate
Contributor

@kleonard

Could we have a very rough estimate of when this might be delivered? As in, second half of 2018 or first half of 2019. I feel smart content for custom modules should be a priority as far as design features go, not least for marketers but also for template providers who really on the modules for their designs.

tobiaspasma
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Totally agree with this. We can't built a good website purely with the standard HubSpot Rich Text, CTA and Form modules. So we need to use the custom modules. And then within these custom modules, if we could just select which fields should be smart, that would be great. 

assialiholic
Participant | Gold Partner

+1

ryanl_rise

Please do this. It big helps to the marketer. 

keegan-sbm
Contributor

A note to the hubspot product team on this -- this feature has been "in planning" for almost a year and a half, and is a highly requested feature. We'd love an update on this.

CST
Participant

SMART content has been supported for custom modules for a while. But now with V2 released, it's no longer supported. I'm suprised this doesn't seem to be documented somewhere at all. Have to admit that the V2 documentation is very limited. I think it works great once you understand how it works! Man Very Happy

We really need to have this feature back online because we heavily rely on this for our European customers.

Upvoting this feature! +1

hello

Please, this is massive.

I've just upgraded our home-page to be the new custom module format and didn't know that smart wasn't a feature here.

The marketing team are furious and I don't know how to deal with it now. There wasn't a warning of this deprecation or anything… it was just YOLO removed…

I need this so badly now!

- Thanks

CST
Participant

What that confuses me is that Hubspot states it has never been supported or custom modules. The thing is that we have been using smart content in custom modules when V1 was still active, so I don't understand why Hubspot states it was not supported.

e.g. we used to build newsletters with SMART content, build with custom modules, which saved us a ton of work. Now we're back to creating 3 or more version just to cover our targeted groups of contacts.

I'm wasn't really planning on rebuilding several templates and remove the custom modules that were meant to make our lives easier and more efficient. Rebuilding the templates to make only make use of the stock drag&drop modules, would make the templates less flexible again. I can't imagine this is what Hubspot intended with this V2 update.

jmarcello
Participant

This is an absolute MUST HAVE feature. We do have a lot of API work and custom coding because the nature of the work is much more flexible, exensible, and efficient - which saves us money. Since we use custom modules we would require Smart Content to be compatible with them.

rominabuchle
Participant | Platinum Partner

Hi there

We are also quite happy with the new design manager and the flexibility it delivers to us with developing individual templates.

Only downside is that we cannot use smart rules and personalization tokens in our custom modules. We have many clients which would benefit from such a functionality. @kleonard Can you tell us, when the functionality will be in Beta? 

Best, Romina

jmarcello
Participant

Has this been taken up yet? And if so is there an ETA. I am in desparate need of this feature and really do not want reinvest a few weeks of work to taken on the dreaded, painstaking task of converting our pixel perfect HTML design for our blog post pages into one that uses the modular WYSIWYG builder.

Captshawn
HubSpot Product Team

Update: Smart Content for Custom Modules fields is currently in development. Our goal is to release Smart Content fields in Custom Modules as well as a more robust and useful way to report on Smart Content. Recently we released Smart Content reporting into BETA which is the first step to releasing additional functionalty at the module level. As of right now we do not have a timeline for when Smart Content fields will be released into BETA.

keegan-sbm
Contributor

@Captshawn How does one get on to the BETA of this feature?