Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emails

I was disappointed to see that I can't do an A/B test in an automated email:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-create-an-a-b-test-email

Marketo (a HubSpot competitor) allows this functionality.

Can you add this to the product sometime?

It's particularly helpful with a Welcome email sequence which is key to on-boarding new customers.

HubSpot updates
Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emailsHubSpot Product Team
yesterday

Hi @petersherlock93  (and all following along). I can confirm that this isn't the case, A/B testing of automated emails is still very much a priority for us.

For the past few months we have been focused primarily on work on the underlying infrastructure of email, to ensure speed, stability and reliability of the overall platform and user experience. We're nearing the end of this work right now which enables us to continue to build on top of the email tool and makes it possible for us to build more net-new functionality in a stable and scalable way, A/B testing of automated emails being a great example of that. 

While there hasn't been much news on this specific feature lately, it's something that is very high on our roadmap and now that we're seeing results from our infrastructure and performance work we're able to refocus our efforts on bringing these new features to the product. Rest assured that it's still something we're focused on. 

While we aren't yet at the stage of a beta for this feature, I'd recommend checking out these resources (one and two) from the HubSpot blog that provide interim solutions and as soon as we have a beta that's available for everyone I'll share a signup form for everyone here to try out. Thanks again for your feedback and for keeping the momentum going here. 

yesterday

Thanks @petersherlock93! Just a case of good ol' miscommunication Smiley Happy  The "on pause" here just means that we were still deep into the infrastructure and reliability work needed for this (and other) functionality. It was by no means deprioritised or taken off the roadmap, just needed to get the ordering right on the priorities to make sure we didn't put the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.

changed to: In Planning
yesterday

Hi all, I wanted to share a quick status update with you on this. We've spent some time researching options for this feature and are making good progress. We'll soon be heading into a dedicated research phase and as we get close to a beta of this we'll open it up to everyone on this post to get early access. Please do keep your feedbac/upvotes coming, we really appreciate it.

yesterday

Thank you all for sharing your feedback and use cases on this. The product team is currently thinking about how to solve this, and will post updates here. 

yesterday

A/B testing an entire workflow to see what places could be improved to improve conversion rates.

120 Replies
BSoutas
New Contributor

I just spent several days creating an A/B testing plan under the assumption that you would be able to test automated emails just to find out that it's not possible. It's very disappointing. How is this not a feature? 

raleighleslie
New Contributor

Ah, I just submitted a support ticket but seems this might be the answer. It does not make sense to me this is not possible?

Is there a logical explaination from HubSpot as to why?

Only solution is to A / B test the entire workflow? Not ideal... 

jbrown
Occasional Contributor

Yea, it's crazy that you can't do this. The reasonings I've heard make little to no sense. It really isn't an option for many who are doing workflow based emails to send 1 offs as tests. The other workarounds are equally impracticle (ex: setting up separate workflows and trying to split enrollment between the 2).

JMoreau
Occasional Contributor

This feature would be extremely valuable for our team! Can someone from HubSpot respond and let us know if this is in the works or planned for a 2018 release?

brettswensen
Occasional Contributor

Bump on this

jbrown
Occasional Contributor

For what it is worth, I was told by my account rep that development-wise it is the kind of thing that won't likely be addressed till 2019. Smiley Sad

lvmkting
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, this has been said already but I just assumed this was a function and created my first workflow happily and then found out it wasn't.  Hubspot Academy spends a lot of time talking about automation and experimenting and testing for these things not to be possible together. Disappointing for sure. 

TomF
New Contributor

+1. I just started with worfklows, and am quite surprised to see that this feature is missing. It seems like a critical feature to me. Hopefully it will be addressed soon.

rginsberg
New Contributor

Yes, please.  Make this possible!

Nicositter
Regular Contributor

Would be great to know where is this feature in the development roadmap, as our business is growing and we need to have these kind of A/B tests inn our CRM.