Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emails

I was disappointed to see that I can't do an A/B test in an automated email:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-create-an-a-b-test-email

Marketo (a HubSpot competitor) allows this functionality.

Can you add this to the product sometime?

It's particularly helpful with a Welcome email sequence which is key to on-boarding new customers.

HubSpot updates
Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emailsHubSpot Product Team
Friday

Hi @petersherlock93  (and all following along). I can confirm that this isn't the case, A/B testing of automated emails is still very much a priority for us.

For the past few months we have been focused primarily on work on the underlying infrastructure of email, to ensure speed, stability and reliability of the overall platform and user experience. We're nearing the end of this work right now which enables us to continue to build on top of the email tool and makes it possible for us to build more net-new functionality in a stable and scalable way, A/B testing of automated emails being a great example of that. 

While there hasn't been much news on this specific feature lately, it's something that is very high on our roadmap and now that we're seeing results from our infrastructure and performance work we're able to refocus our efforts on bringing these new features to the product. Rest assured that it's still something we're focused on. 

While we aren't yet at the stage of a beta for this feature, I'd recommend checking out these resources (one and two) from the HubSpot blog that provide interim solutions and as soon as we have a beta that's available for everyone I'll share a signup form for everyone here to try out. Thanks again for your feedback and for keeping the momentum going here. 

Friday

Thanks @petersherlock93! Just a case of good ol' miscommunication Smiley Happy  The "on pause" here just means that we were still deep into the infrastructure and reliability work needed for this (and other) functionality. It was by no means deprioritised or taken off the roadmap, just needed to get the ordering right on the priorities to make sure we didn't put the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.

changed to: In Planning
Friday

Hi all, I wanted to share a quick status update with you on this. We've spent some time researching options for this feature and are making good progress. We'll soon be heading into a dedicated research phase and as we get close to a beta of this we'll open it up to everyone on this post to get early access. Please do keep your feedbac/upvotes coming, we really appreciate it.

Friday

Thank you all for sharing your feedback and use cases on this. The product team is currently thinking about how to solve this, and will post updates here. 

Friday

A/B testing an entire workflow to see what places could be improved to improve conversion rates.

120 Replies
AdrianB
New Contributor

Same boat. I would really appreciate this feature becoming a reality as it would multiply returns on time and fluidity tenfold.

StevenB
New Contributor

We really need this feature

leslie
New Contributor

I would love to have this feature too! Please prioritize Smiley Happy

Thanks!

davidoudiette
Regular Contributor

It seems to make very little sense for A/B testing to be availabe anywhere but in workflows, where they get their whole potential. I've been advised to test complete workflows against each other, but setting it up is pretty much a nightmare compared to creating A/B test variations in an email. 

twandeleijer
Regular Contributor

@davidoudiette Imagine if you have a workflow that contains 2 emails, that would means testing 4 workflows. Or 3, that would mean 8 workflows. You can do that on the rest Smiley Happy

ckindrick
New Contributor

ditto. 

Emina-Demiri
Occasional Contributor

Complete nightmare this. Every time I want to test a single email in a workflow I need to replicate the workflow and test it that way. It's not even easy to do that. You need to create new properties and add custom HTML to form embeds. Its shocking that this is not a simple functionality. 

Please add this

janik
Occasional Contributor

Came here to find out how to set up A/B testing for my worklfows. Really disappointing (again) to see this obvisous feature is not implemented yet.

mecalagill
Regular Contributor

I totally agree because we are always updating our workflows to better serve our leads and clients. Even for just the beginning of an email workflow if we had the A/B testing options then we could see which one was performing better and that we could keep for our workflow. We are NOT going to get that info from a one-off email if it is in our workflow. That just doesn't make sense. 

sravi
Occasional Contributor

Agreed! I had  submitted the same question to Hubspot. Not being able to see which emails are are doing better, what's working whats not is important. These workflows are a big part of my email automation. Checking single emails doesn't give me any insight at all. I specifically create emails that are a part of that workflow only. Also, having ability to see which clients are using a majority of the platform would make my life easier. Right now, there are so many testing browsers. Designing an email in a certain browser may not be optimal for viewing for the other. This is time-consuming and I have to make allowances for a lesser design. So, having that feature which tells me whats the majority of the population using to view these emails - will be a great thing!