Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emails

I was disappointed to see that I can't do an A/B test in an automated email:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-create-an-a-b-test-email

Marketo (a HubSpot competitor) allows this functionality.

Can you add this to the product sometime?

It's particularly helpful with a Welcome email sequence which is key to on-boarding new customers.

HubSpot updates
Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emailsHubSpot Product Team
08-14-2019

Thanks @petersherlock93! Just a case of good ol' miscommunication Smiley Happy  The "on pause" here just means that we were still deep into the infrastructure and reliability work needed for this (and other) functionality. It was by no means deprioritised or taken off the roadmap, just needed to get the ordering right on the priorities to make sure we didn't put the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.

08-13-2019

Hi @petersherlock93  (and all following along). I can confirm that this isn't the case, A/B testing of automated emails is still very much a priority for us.

For the past few months we have been focused primarily on work on the underlying infrastructure of email, to ensure speed, stability and reliability of the overall platform and user experience. We're nearing the end of this work right now which enables us to continue to build on top of the email tool and makes it possible for us to build more net-new functionality in a stable and scalable way, A/B testing of automated emails being a great example of that. 

While there hasn't been much news on this specific feature lately, it's something that is very high on our roadmap and now that we're seeing results from our infrastructure and performance work we're able to refocus our efforts on bringing these new features to the product. Rest assured that it's still something we're focused on. 

While we aren't yet at the stage of a beta for this feature, I'd recommend checking out these resources (one and two) from the HubSpot blog that provide interim solutions and as soon as we have a beta that's available for everyone I'll share a signup form for everyone here to try out. Thanks again for your feedback and for keeping the momentum going here. 

a week ago

Hi all, just to keep everyone updated on our progress here, we've been making decent headway with the infrastructure planning and development roadmap for this feature and are making meaningful progress towards a beta.

There's still a lot of moving pieces here so we don't have a concrete date on when we'll be opening up a beta but I wanted to keep you all in the loop and confirm that we're definitely focused on this and are actively working on it.

changed to: In Planning
01-29-2019

Hi all, I wanted to share a quick status update with you on this. We've spent some time researching options for this feature and are making good progress. We'll soon be heading into a dedicated research phase and as we get close to a beta of this we'll open it up to everyone on this post to get early access. Please do keep your feedbac/upvotes coming, we really appreciate it.

04-06-2017

A/B testing an entire workflow to see what places could be improved to improve conversion rates.

11-16-2018

Thank you all for sharing your feedback and use cases on this. The product team is currently thinking about how to solve this, and will post updates here. 

129 Replies
nunoautotrip
Regular Contributor

It's a shame that this hasn't been implemented yet, it's one of the basic features that any marketing automation tool should have.

Leah2
Occasional Contributor

@Annabel don't hold your breathe. 

petersherlock93
Occasional Contributor

@Leah2  For real... Hubspot?!  What do we do more to inform you that this is vital to our businesses?

I'm demoing braze, and iterable which both have amazing A/B testing functionality, and integrate with Hubspot via open Api's.

MikeJones
Occasional Contributor

@Leah2  It's so strange how they ignore this and so many other basic features. Makes you wonder what they are focusing on that is soo important that they ignore this Smiley Sad

As our sales team uses Outreach.io, I'm looking into moving our eBook workflows after form submissions through a live list, as you can A/B test with ease and leads get unenrolled when they respond to an email. You can also create custom email time schedules rather than just have 7" days a week" or "business hours".

When our contract with Hubspot comes to its end, I will also start to trial alternatives. Thanks for the tips with Braze and Iterable @petersherlock93 

petersherlock93
Occasional Contributor

I will look into outreach.io as well thanks @MikeJones

They issue with not having "replies" kick users out of workflows also is annoying. But that is a separate issue all together.... 😞

^ Should I submit this as an idea as well...?

Hanisha
New Contributor

I wish to AB Test my drip campaigns to see what emails work best, however was surprised to see that Hubspot does not have this feature. 

jewsbur090
New Contributor

Would it be possible to get an update on this from Hubspot? It's the main stumbling block from us moving over to Hubspot. Would be great to have some timelines!

HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all, just to keep everyone updated on our progress here, we've been making decent headway with the infrastructure planning and development roadmap for this feature and are making meaningful progress towards a beta.

There's still a lot of moving pieces here so we don't have a concrete date on when we'll be opening up a beta but I wanted to keep you all in the loop and confirm that we're definitely focused on this and are actively working on it.

ridingforlife
Regular Contributor

@Shay  Thank you for the update. Is there any idea on a timeline to get this launched, i.e. Q1 2020, Q2 2020? If you have a development roadmap I would think there's some timeframe you could give us? It has been 2.5 years since this idea was posted.