HubSpot Ideas

katharine

Enable A/B testing in workflow/automated emails

I was disappointed to see that I can't do an A/B test in an automated email:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-create-an-a-b-test-email

Marketo (a HubSpot competitor) allows this functionality.

Can you add this to the product sometime?

It's particularly helpful with a Welcome email sequence which is key to on-boarding new customers.

293 Replies
mecalagill
Contributor

Great idea though for now! I might try that and see how it goes. 

tvassalotti
Participant

Can't wait to test out the feature when the beta opens

AirGMS

Hello!

Hubspot representatives, please advise on when A/B testing in automation will be implemented. This is a must-have feature for creating working email automations. 

jlegate

Mad that this is not possible? 

Not just the testing of one email vs another, but what about a completely different workflow entirely? Loads of competitors have this and it is a real hindrance to businesses that want to continue to test and learn. 

GLC
Contributor

I also cannot believe Hubspot do not support this functionality for automated emails or transactional emails. Really need to prioritise this!

revilo

Need this one!

GLC
Contributor

This is so important. Still can't believe HubSpot do not support this functionality. 

bcg
Participant

It looks like this has been in the 'planning' stage for a couple of months now... Any update or ETA for us?

cec
Participant

If smart content analytics worked, (which they don't) that would help

Gbenoit

A must have. We need it.

Thxs

Brenda
Participant

As others have said, absolutely critical to be able to test in workflows. It's so limiting to not be able to do this.

GLC
Contributor

As this is in planning, it would be great to get a timescale on it!

MikeJones

I could be late with this but I think this works:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/run-an-a/b-test-on-your-marketing-email?KBO...

I was able to create an A/B test with 2 different templates and copy. I am yet to test it but so far it looks good.

UPDATE: This doesn't solve it, unfortunately 😞

EmilJepsen

This is really surprising to me. It's really a basic and crucial feature in an automated workflow, I would have expected it to be a part of HubSpot, with the price tag that it comes with.

Are there any plans on implementing this?

MikeJones

Yes, it's quite shocking considering we just invested in Hubspot Marketing and I used to use Outreach for Outbound emails.

I thought I posted was the solution but it turns out I was wrong as this can only be used with an email list and there is still no way to A/B test in the automated workflow.

I will need to figure out how to use Zapier and make a workaround. Insane! 

JDobbin
Contributor | Diamond Partner

+1 here. Other tools have this feature so it makes no sense to not have it on HubSpot. It should be a native function not a zapier/workaround function.

MikeJones

Agreed.

They made me some videos on how the workaround works and it involves using two separate workflows rather than just two emails equally tested in one workflow - quite shocking.

No timeline was given either for when the feature will be available...

Leah2
Participant

its absolutely ridiculous. this has been an issue for over 2 years and the amount of energy that has to be put in to create the a/b test is assinine. our workflows have as many as 5 emails in them... that would require like 40 if/then/rotators. 

ridingforlife
Top Contributor

+1, agreed with everyone else on this.

ridingforlife
Top Contributor

+1, this functionality is so important for testing the performance of workflows.