HubSpot Ideas

cyclechris

Email using tokens from static list rather than database

This is related to being able to associate people with more than one company, but may well prove to be a seperate functionality.

I'd like to see the ability to email to a static list, using tokens from that list instead of from the database entry matching to that email address. This way, if I have a person associated with 15 companies, with the same email address, I could put tokens in the static list with information unique to each of the companies they are associated with and send them multiple emails, but each one being personalized to the specific company from the static list. So I would put a check box that says something like "use tokens from this list for email personalization", and if someone checks that, HubSpot will email to that person however many times their email address is in that list, using information from that list for personalization.

For a little background, HubSpot uses the email address as a record identifier for contacts. So if I upload a list of cotacts for a mass emailing, HubSpot will look at the email address on that list and plug in any tokens from the HubSpot database for the record corresponding with that email address.

However, if the contact being emailed from that list has a token in the list that is different that what is in the database for their record, the tokens on that list will be ignored and HubSpot will fill in any tokens from the values found in that contact's record in the database.

Typically this is OK, however, for our business, there are a good number of people who may be affiliated with several, even dozens of companies. We need to email them, and we need to email them about each of the companies they are affiliated with specifically. However, with the current HubSpot functionality, that is not possible. I could update a contact's record in the database, email to them, then update them again, email them again, and so on... 

But that doesn't make good sense for our situation where many of our contacts are associated with mutiple entities. It would be great for there to be one to many for contacts/companies built in, but I don't really have to have that in order to do our emailings to people associated with more than one company. I just need HubSpot to give me a way to be able to email to the list I upload, not to information that it looks up from it's database based on email addresses in that list.

I need HubSpot to be able to email to an email address as many times as that email address is in the list I upload, and use the tokens I put in that list, for email personalization.

1 Reply
dtavenues
Contributor

This idea would open up a major amount of innovation, but I understand why it would be complex from a systems and UI standpoint. It obviously does not need to be limited to a static list either...