HubSpot Ideas

brentswashburn

Email metrics for clicks with no measurable open (images turned off)

When a contact has their images turned off the tracking image can't fire and count an open, but if that contact were to click a link the tracking redirect is able to understand that the contact must have opened the email to do so. This is helpful to an extent but here is a limitation I've learned from this assumption. 

While trying to extrapolate how understated our open rates are I found that clicking an email with images turned off would be counted as an open thus making impossible to know how many contacts are actually clicking links in an email with the images turned off. 

Why is this important? I was hoping to take the Click-through-rate and mathmatically determine, within a margin of error, how many contacts were likely opening the email (but not clicking) with images turned off—thus not being counted. I believe this number would be insightful to my client and many other clients who deliver to a lot of restricted business and government inboxes where images are turned off out of the box. 

If HubSpot were just to have a field counting "Clicked but didn't open" that would be ideal.

There was a slight delay but not enough to measure anything more than a test (images below)

Right after clicking with images turned off in Gmail:

Right after clicking with images turned off in Gmail the reporting would look like this.Right after clicking with images turned off in Gmail the reporting would look like this.

After a few minutes the system processess a tracked click without images as an open:

A few minutes later it would inform itself that I must have opened the email to be able to clickA few minutes later it would inform itself that I must have opened the email to be able to click

0 Upvotes
1 Reply
SpencerHodgson
Participant

I agree that some way to measure this would be really helpful! I'm interested for another reason though: a lot of the people that I'm emailing have security set up that checks any links that I send. What this does is says that there is a click but no open, and it might not be because images are turned off, but instead because their security setup checked the link before even letting the person see the email! The way that I know these are not people who have actually opened (with images turned off) and clicked is the speed with which the clicks happen. When I get a click but no open it is always immediately after sending the email. By separating clicks and opens (perhaps letting reports happen with them as separate categories which is impossible now) would be really helpful.