HubSpot Ideas

dbrown1

Edit Automatic Association

It seems that for any Company that Tickets, Deals, Emails, are automatically associated with one another. This makes it difficult for our sales, service or billing teams working out of HubSpot to easily interact with our customers.

For example, if one of our customers has several tickets open, and our billing team emails them from the Company page, they have to confirm and remove the association with all of the tickets, and deals manually before emailing our customers. Throughout the course of days or weeks, this can add significant overhead to their processes.

Our service team is also being impacted by this. If a customer has open deals that aren't related to service tickets. Our service technicians have to manually remove those associations when working on unrelated items.

With how busy our HubSpot is, it would be easier for us to manually add those associations. Some default associations make sense. ie. associate it with the contact of the company I'm emailing, or if I'm emailing directly from a ticket it makes sense to be associated with itself. But some of these default associations are adding extra work for our team, or causing confusion if a team member doesn't remove the associations for unrelated items.

30 Replies
sambiermans

Same as this issue and it is killing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Possibility-to-disable-automatic-association-to-deals...

I must join Bart in getting this disable function. As it even get worse.

We started emailing from HubSpot in the hope we could avoid most of Bart's problems but Hubspot makes it even a bigger problem for us.

Here is what we experience:

When I reply on a deal to X in Hubspot. Hubspot does associate the right deal and company to X (so no association is made outside of the deal). When X replies to me and he places Y and Z in CC ate any given time in our communication. Hubspot will associate 5 objects with Y and Z.  This makes no sense at all and creates a complete mess. 

If I mail to contact X about what he wants to eat for lunch next week (and I mail from Hubspot on the contact page, not in a deal or Ticket) I have to unlink all the deals related to this person. If I forget this Hubspot will make sure we know in each deal what X will have for lunch.

If we mail from Gmail the problem of Bart comes into place. 

This made it hard to work on a proper timeline on deals or contacts.

sambiermans

It's killing us, see our Idea in the community.

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Possibility-to-disable-automatic-association-to-deals...

I must join Bart in getting this disable function. As it even get worse.

We started emailing from HubSpot in the hope we could avoid most of Bart's problems but Hubspot makes it even a bigger problem for us.

Here is what we experience:

When I reply on a deal to X in Hubspot. Hubspot does associate the right deal and company to X (so no association is made outside of the deal). When X replies to me and he places Y and Z in CC ate any given time in our communication. Hubspot will associate 5 objects with Y and Z.  This makes no sense at all and creates a complete mess. 

If I mail to contact X about what he wants to eat for lunch next week (and I mail from Hubspot on the contact page, not in a deal or Ticket) I have to unlink all the deals related to this person. If I forget this Hubspot will make sure we know in each deal what X will have for lunch.

If we mail from Gmail the problem of Bart comes into place. 

This made it hard to work on a proper timeline on deals or contacts.

mscheel

I second the motion!

If this was not a motion, then I move to recognize the stated functionality as a high-risk problem, and expedite the priority on a resolution of the issue stated by Mr. Dbrown1.

Furthermore, might I be so bold as to speak out of line and ask for all of those in favor say "Aye"?

sambiermans

AYE

marchionatti

This is urgent!

It is not just an Ideia. It a HUGE BUG in the heart of hubspot existence. How can we manage tickets and deals if they get all mixed with contacts that have nothing to do with it? 

Hope Hubspot fix it during the next days.

happy_ilkka
Participant

This is really so annoying, and makes follow-up of customer communications so difficult for all our teams.
Please give us control on association rules!

Levi
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

This is a bug! Please fix asap because every e-mails from our general e-mailbox associated with all tickets & deals.. 

CKlara

Same problem here! 2 weeks after implemetation we cannot fix that problem...it just causes so much overhead. If not fixed, we need to leave

ErikKoedijk

This is a problem for us too! It would be very hulpfull if we get control on association rules. And specifically with the Outlook desktop add-in.

Can anyone give us an update of the status of this idea?

ddobrien2
Participant

Agree. For us, the issue is that when we associate a Deal to a Contact, if that contact is associated to a Company, there's no way to stop HubSpot from associating the Deal with both the Contact and the Company. Often, for us, the Contact's Deal has nothing to do with the Company they're associated with... so we end up having many irrelvant Deals on our Company records. Why can't there be a an option to remove "click off" the assocation with the Company when creating a Deal for a Contact? That functionality (the ability to add or remove assocations) seems to exist in other parts of HubSpot.

ModernHandymen

This has been such a huge pain for our team! It causes so much confusion and wastes so much time. We have very key companies that are our clients and we can never figure out what is going on  with each project because every call/email is getting jumbled into every open deal! Please fix this.

bcf
Participant

AGREE

When is Hubspot going to get this feature inplace it is very dificult managing the automated association.

AMullally

Same problem here, it makes absolutely no sense and just causes confusion.

BSong
HubSpot Employee

Raising this for tasks as well, since this idea was first raised in 2019 and tasks may not have been included in automatic associations too

The idea to turn on/off automatic associations for emails mentioned here - Possibility to disable automatic association to deals - showed that it's possible to set association based on activities. If we could have the same feature within HubSpot to allow us to choose which activities will associate to which records, this allows us more flexibility than just a blanket automatic association.

Hoping this idea gets more contributions soon!

jifchen

+1, after 3 and half years when this was first raised......

TDavidsonHS

1,000,000 upvotes on this. Default associations need to be editable. It is not viable for privacy reasons to have information track by default on multiple deals considering the deals can have associations to other parties on them (ie information sharing should not be possible).

Functionality to change default associations in settings for calls, tasks, notes, meetings, emails etc is a requirement.

HBulder
Member | Elite Partner

We need controle over automatic processes like this.
In many cases the automatic association of emails to certain objects, doesn't make sense at all.
Besides you get a lot of irrelevant information in your activities/email tabs. It also raises a few question when you have setup user object permissions.
This idea is almost 4 years old, and needs some attentention and feedback from hubspot.

BetsyBullock

@HBulderThis association issue is causing us so much stress and turing our hubspot platform into junk. There is so much information being dragged all over companies, deals and contacts and its almost impossible for us to keep track of ANYTHING this way. I want to cry. I just want a solution lol. 

TDavidsonHS

@HBulder @BetsyBullock I have had to build an entire custom object to act as a 'profile' between contacts and deals/companies so that all of the activity items dont auto track.

Contacts>'Custom Object'>Deals/Companies

The custom object profile is being defined by use of associations. Its not pretty, but it seems to work because custom objects do not automatically connect activities. Way more work than should be required for a feature that should be standard functionality though.

Link below has a table that shows how custom objects do not log calls, emails, meetings, and notes:
https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/associate-activities-with-records

Custom Objects may not fit your specific use case, however it's worth looking at in case it does. Hubspot really needs customisability as default functionality for these activities though.

BetsyBullock

@TDavidsonHS Where can I find instructions on how to make the custom object? Can you teach me?!