HubSpot Ideas

lanewhite

Do Not Call: Opt a Contact out of Calling

Per this forum post, Hubspot does not support a native "do not call" list. However, if I'm a company with any degree of mature sales organization (which expects to make outbound calls), I need to be able to comply with federal do-not-call regulations and opt that phone number out of further calls.

With email, this is very straightforward: I merely opt them out of email:Opted-out-contact.jpg

To anyone that would think about emailing this contact - it is immediately apparent that not only can they not do so within the hubspot platform - it is also quite clear why.

The aforementioned help article gives a stop gap solution (add the contact to a DNC list and make the contact's placement on this list an exclusion in a default contact view). This, however, is not good enough when Hubspot users can search contacts, create their own contact views, etc -- all of which would completely disregard this default view.

Basically: unlike email-opt-out, it would be incredibly easy for a user to miss "DNC status" of a contact. This is problematic and places our company at legal risk (not to mention, it creates a very bad experience for our sales prospects).

HubSpot Updates
March 09, 2020 04:34 PM

Hi all! While I know this isn't exactly delivering on what this idea asks, I wanted to make everyone who upvoted this aware that we now will prevent users from calling a contact if that contact has "Opted Out of All" communication from the portal via email subscription preferences. When trying to call a contact in this case, users will see a warning message that they have opted out.

8 Replies
hroberts
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all! While I know this isn't exactly delivering on what this idea asks, I wanted to make everyone who upvoted this aware that we now will prevent users from calling a contact if that contact has "Opted Out of All" communication from the portal via email subscription preferences. When trying to call a contact in this case, users will see a warning message that they have opted out.

We appreciate this, but a bit more is needed. We have contacts who wish to opt out of all email but still need to be called on the phone, so this "solution" actually creates a problem for us. What is really needed is a phone opt out as well as email opt out. This way, the pop up messages indicating the contact prefers not to be contacted can be specific for the types of contact they prefer and thereby provide a more clear direction to the users attempting to reach out to the contacts. Thanks!

pugwash
Participant

Thanks Hubspot 

Is it possible for us to update this option manually instead of a customer having to do it themselves? it sounds like It should be obvious, but i can't work out how!

tfiscus
Participant

"we now will prevent users from calling a contact if that contact has "Opted Out of All" communication from the portal via email subscription preferences."

I can't seem to find this option, @hroberts. Can you help?

JMiller7
Participant

I am 100% onboard with this request.

DanMorell

Hi @lanewhite

I love your idea! We need a solution around not calling contacts who have requested not to be called or are registered in the FTC's Do Not Call registery. Our immediate need is to prevent sales from calling contacts who have requested not to recieve a phone call. 

Currently, I don't know of a setting to prevent our sales team from calling these contacts. There are multiple workarounds, but nothing that "prevents" the rep from calling the contact similiar to an opt-out for email.

Needing to have a contact "Opted Out of All" communication via email subscription preferences isn't a viable solution for sales. There could be a solution if we had the option to select "Calling" under Method of communication, but not yet. 

Looking forward to HubSpot's new feature release on this topic!

Thanks HubSpot!

coconnorALPS
Participant

Hi there! We also would like a native "Do Not Call" feature that warns when attempting to call. We have instances where folks don't want to be called - particularly by sales folks - but are still fine receiving email communications. We can create our own checkbox, but having it integrated with dialing would be extra useful.

KarryCBB
Contributor

yes please integrate this with dialing!