HubSpot Ideas

jehiguese

Disable automatic contact creation for Conversations

HubSpot auto creates a contact for anyone that emails in - or is cc'd into a reply in conversations. For some customers who manage through support, this will mean a large number of contacts can enter the database. The only way to prevent this at the moment is by setting filtering rules, as all filtered emails do not create contacts. There is a use case from a customer in this post [Hyperlink removed by moderator as it linked to an archived Community post with duplicate information]

This is a request to build a "Create contact" rule giving us the option to disable automtically creating contacts for people we communicate with in Conversations.

333 Replies
s1bk

Upvoted. 

@hubspot

Come on its been 2.5 years since this was started, sure the issue has been longer after reading several threads. 

As a new customer, this/might stop me coming over.   

BMottram
Participant

Guys, just to let everyone know HubSpot has implemented marketing contacts

... Maybe this will help!

s1bk

@BMottram thanks for the info. 

Still doesn't fix the issue. A simple On/Off, or disable button would do. 

BMottram
Participant
It does if you take the time to read the instruction.
We have over 100 contacts per day that we dont want as marketing contacts
and we had to create a list to filter these out.

You can set a predefine to log all new contacts as none marketing ... if
you dont then yes you are charged for ALL contacts!

Bevan
s1bk

@BMottram I did take the time to read it, and thank you. However this isn't the or a solution that good enough. 

I want the option to turn off automatically of adding a conversation as a contact. I don't want to filter then out. I don't want they adding in the first place. 

This has been an issue for years after reading many different threads. I have spoken to support who suggested I up vote this thread, as I'm not the only person wanting this fix.

tsays
Participant

Why is this still an issue after three years? 

IanRogers
Participant

Lol, exactly. I can't believe I'm still getting email notifications about this thread 3 years later, and still no solution.  For a publicly traded company with a $308.00 USD price per share, it's amazing that they can't get this one simple aspect fixed.

cjl2016
Participant

PLEASE correct this issue for us. We use a Team Email for random inquiries, to accept purchase orders, etc. and it has also become a hub for spam outreach. Every single day, 10-20 spam / no-reply contacts are added minimum, and it is severely cluttering our CRM.

We simply want to turn off "auto-create contact" when someone emails a Team Inbox. If we want to create them, we can manually choose to do so. It has been three years since the Product Team indicated they were working on this -- can you please provide an update? Thanks so much!

PLaukvik

Setting up our Hubspot Service now, and have run in to this issue. As this thread implies, this issue has existed for quite som time now. Please fix this, Hubspot.

HWerntz
Participant

I mean, even a typical inbox doesn't create problems like this.
There are currently 38 of these contacts in our duplicates reportThere are currently 38 of these contacts in our duplicates report

kirstenmhb
Participant

I really need this feature for my team. We want to turn off "auto-create contact" as it is cluttering our CRM with poor data quality contacts (missing first and last name) and is causing a nightmare to filter through valuable / non-valuable contacts. A simple On/Off, or disable button in the global settings for admins would be great. Thanks. 

EGould1

Upvoting. We need the ability to only create contacts at our discression if they don't already exist in HubSpot. This seems like a big miss at this point to not have this capability. 

ALundell5

This is ridiculous. We have been using HubSpot for a few weeks now and already the CRM is clogged with unknown Contacts and Companies and we spend more time removing then actually adding and working with the ones we are interested in. 

It should be a feature to automatically add Contacts and Companies NOT the other way around. This should be basic core functionality that I as an admin can control who and when a contact or company is added to my CRM database. 

As this basic functionality has not been fixed for a number of years, it might be because it benefits HubSpot and it is worth keeping it even if customers complain. 🙁

We are already looking for other CRM systems that support smaller companies.

MRahman2

This is issue really needs to be resolved. It is making it very difficult to track the effectiveness of our advertising

MSchillig

Please change this!

s1bk

My guess is that it is not a simple "fix". If they want to change to add this feature, it breaks more functions in Hubspot. 

I would love to see this solved. 

SFAlexan
Member | Gold Partner

The fix feels like it should be very simple - a toggle function to only record emails to pre-existing contacts and not auto-creating new ones. As an agency owner managing several HubSpot instances, this is consistently a frustration for clients AND a potential HR/privacy/legal issue.

MRahman2

I have discovered a solution that works for me

My hubspot is linked to my gmail. By unticking the "Turn on in box automation" field when setting it up the issue went away

JJohnston35

Agreed, this is a major headache and a classic example of automation out of control.  Please give us the option to control this feature (i.e. turn it off), as otherwise it creates additional, unwanted admin work which is time consuming and frustrating. 

MSanne
Participant

I second this. Any update¿