HubSpot Ideas

jehiguese

Disable automatic contact creation for Conversations

HubSpot auto creates a contact for anyone that emails in - or is cc'd into a reply in conversations. For some customers who manage through support, this will mean a large number of contacts can enter the database. The only way to prevent this at the moment is by setting filtering rules, as all filtered emails do not create contacts. There is a use case from a customer in this post [Hyperlink removed by moderator as it linked to an archived Community post with duplicate information]

This is a request to build a "Create contact" rule giving us the option to disable automtically creating contacts for people we communicate with in Conversations.

333 Replies
mjashanks

I am a new user to Hubspot and have loved it until this point. I can't quite believe that this is the approach to an email integration - create a contact from every single person that I email.

I have lawyers, accountants, investors, team members, hiring candidates, hotel bookings all showing up in Hubspot - this frightens me and makes the email extension dangerous and unusable.

Please just allow us to manually create contacts only.

AlexandruB
Contributor | Partner

Hi, @mjashanks , maybe I can help a bit. There are two types of integrations (mainly):
- the one that connects your personal email inbox to Hubspot, with the extension for Gmail or Outlook
- the Hubspot inbox - where you connect a shared email to Hubspot, designed to facilitate the communication from the team to the entire outside world and vice versa.

This thread was built around the second - and the fact that every email received on the shared address connected in the Hubspot Inbox will create a contact and a company associated with that (if that is the case). And this happens for a lot of spam emails and such.

What you are describing looks like an issue related to the first integration mentioned by me above. The extension from Hubspot to your personal email. For this one, luckily, there is a simple fix. Inside the extension, there are some rules. You should go there, find "Log and track settings" and uncheck the options to "Log email" and "Track email". These will deactivate the automatic creation of contacts, but gives you the possibility to do it one by one, when you choose to. Check the attached images - for a Gmail integrations, Outlook looks a bit different, but the tools are the same.

Hope this helps. Best.Hubspot-Email-Integration-01.jpgHubspot-Email-Integration-02.jpg

stevecoachtrain
Absolutely. We've had several private emails that have worked their way
into the system. Certainly a privacy and confidentiality issue as well as
the fact it is clogging up my systems. So much clean up and extra time
wasted.
mjashanks

Thanks @AlexandruB - my fault, I misunderstood. This is working for me now.

Apologies for the harsh tone - fantastic answer, thank you 🙂

AlexandruB
Contributor | Partner

Glad I could help!

Chelrich

Come on Hubspot, we just want a simple button to click to create a contact.  I can't believe this is still an outstanding issue after two years of being an open item.  This is making me lose confidence in Hubspot's willingness to service their customer needs.

IStolarski

This function is very needed, please, take a look at this dev team

StanBartczak
Participant | Diamond Partner

Upvoted

JonahEV
Participant

So frustrating that every order confirmation and notification email creates a new contact…

Alexrott
Contributor

this feature is very needed. Please pick it up in your development roadmap!

JacobWonder

YEARS later, how has this not been added yet?!

MitchelSellers

As another case, to agree with the others here.  We use a support email address that creates Tickets through an inbox.  The amount of Spam that we get, as the email is available publicly, is insane, and it makes HubSpot almost unusable, to the point that we are considering dropping it and going back to our old provider.

We NEED an option to better manage this, I'm not 100% sure that this is the 'Right" way to tackle this, but this is the closest thing to my issue that I can find here.

The "Support" product is almost useless for us in the current state as we spend more time deleting records than we do supporting customers.

AndreaGabriel
Participant

Has this been followed up on? I actually have to have a task to delete unwanted contacts every week, which takes FAR more time than manually adding a contact when wanted.

JDORSEY

Upvoted and following. 

HWerntz
Participant

Has there been any progress here? I mean from 2018 to 2022 that's a bit.

LBuscombe

Has there been a further upate here?  

BMottram
Participant

Has this been looked at by HUbSpot since 2020!?

This makes perfect sense - we cannot use the inbox because of this!

khalpin
Member | Platinum Partner

Dear HubSpot, 

As a HubSpot partner, this is very important to our clients who deal with a lot of sensitive information and utilize Service Hub for conversations, ticket processing, and serving their clients. We have heard from every level of leadership from one of our lighthouse clients that it is extremely important to shut off the automatic contact creation that is happening in the CRM whenever someone responds or sends an email from their inbox. 

Users should not have to turn of their extension every time they don't want a contact created - and it makes using the HubSpot inbox seem like not the right solution. Please can we have an update on this?

ckross

Dear Hubspot,

Please pick up the ball on this one. We are beginning users and have already ran into this problem. I can't imagine how difficult it will be with a few more customer/leads. It has been 4 full years and no progress has been made... why? Hubspot, if you can't fix this, please explain it to us how you make more money from this?

KKaiser85

Hopping on this thread to echo EVERYONE's concerns. 

@hubspot 
Please get this fixed. Seems like low-hanging fruit!