HubSpot Ideas

jehiguese

Disable automatic contact creation for Conversations

HubSpot auto creates a contact for anyone that emails in - or is cc'd into a reply in conversations. For some customers who manage through support, this will mean a large number of contacts can enter the database. The only way to prevent this at the moment is by setting filtering rules, as all filtered emails do not create contacts. There is a use case from a customer in this post [Hyperlink removed by moderator as it linked to an archived Community post with duplicate information]

This is a request to build a "Create contact" rule giving us the option to disable automtically creating contacts for people we communicate with in Conversations.

324 Comentarios
dave-kimble
Participante

This is a serious issue that was reported in 2018, and now it's 2021. I would ask why this hasn't been fixed, but the answer is obvious it's to increase HubSpot's revenue. I just started trying out this CRM a couple of days ago and found noticed this issue. It makes no sense that Hubspot has known for three years and done nothing. This is a huge red flag to me. Is there a plan to fix this or not, and when? 

Is it also normal for HubSpot to promise an update in a few weeks and then ghost the topic for the next 8 months?

timothy-h
Miembro

@dave-kimble Although the issue is a bit of a pain in the butt, I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker. And, although it definitely bugs me, I wouldn't look to it as a signifier of some broader trend of Hubspot ignoring the community or doing zero product development. If you want to get a better idea of what Hubspot are actually working on, I'd start with their product update videos

AGreig
Participante

I'm looking forward to the pain being addressed. If its not I will be moving to Copper CRM which has good Google intergration.

MarcOinSD
Miembro

Please make this happen.   My team is disconnecting their email because of the amount of contacts that have no connection to business.

rensdckw
Miembro

Any updates on this? We serve both our clients and their end-users, but do not want the end-users in our CRM, which currently makes it impossible for us to serve the end-users using our HubSpot tools.

sk0si
Colaborador

I'd like to share a possible solution for you (Professional & Enterprise). HubSpot launched beta for conversational-workflows in December 2020.

This workflow may help you

Sign up for beta and get access to conversational-workflows. As soon as you get beta-access: 

1. Create a contact property called "conversation-inbox date"
  2. Create a conversation-workflow
    1. Example Trigger: Inbox XY
    2. Action: set contact property "conversation-inbox date" to date of the step
  3. Create an active clean-up-list like with arguments like
    "conversation-inbox-date is known (or older than 10 days) AND no deal is associated with that contact
  4. Delete contacts that are in the clean-up-list

Who can use this workflow?

- Marketing Hub Professional & Enterprise

- Service Hub Professional & Enterprise

- Sales Hub Professional & Enterprise

How to get beta-access

Fill in the form to get access. More information: check out this knowledge article

UPDATE 19.02.2021: How to create active list with only new contacts (Nr. 3)

Active list with argument: conversation-inbox date is BEFORE Create date

I know it sound strange because inbox-date can't be before create date 🙂 But it works really smooth.

KAnderson2
Miembro

Yes, we have the same issue. We want to connect a team email that gets inquires from customers and others and creates tickets for them, but we don't want them all automatically added as contacts becasue some should not be in HubSpot. This is really dissapointing HS doesn't have something for this. It seems basic. 

jphilbrook
Colaborador | Partner

@cdewey22 Any chance you have an update on this? I saw the workflow that @sk0si suggested, which is okay. It is really painful to deal with this. Right now I have to manually review all the contacts created to make sure the ones being added are the ones that add value. I just don't want everyone in the marketing database. If I could alter the Lifecycles to mark some as vendors or partners that would also help, but HubSpot is really designed for marketing. So I'm stuck with a bunch of necessary contacts that I have to filter out. Thanks!!

GStark
Miembro

Just adding my voice to the noise in this thread

like rensdckw we serve our clients and thier end users so dont want contacts to be automatically created from chats or tickets. As a software company ourselves I find it appauling this hasn't been addressed with a simple fix for OVER 2 YEARS, condering switching crm as this attitude doesn't sit well.

Wiezie7972
Miembro

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOLVE THIS ISSUE!!!! Hubspot is creating contacts left and right and then they go into our system and cause CHAOS!!!! 

DataHawks
Miembro

Agree it's hugely annoying and time consuming (not to mention anxiety inducing when i see unwanted items in my beutifully organised contacts list!) to have to keep deleting contacts, especially if they are spam or have been previously deleted.

There should be a 'do you want to add ths contact to CRM' pop up or button or similar. 

Please Hubspot 🙏

maragopera
Participante

Hi, 

Any news on this topic ?

This is a big issue for us as our salesteams communicate throught emails to plenty of "cc contacts" that actually are not interesting for us to add in Hubspot. This causes multiples contacts creation that ruin our contacts visibility.

It would be great to add a fonctunality that allow us to not create contacts in Hubspot if they are in cc of email.

Thanks.

Marion

jphilbrook
Colaborador | Partner
truckrefunds
Miembro
wrote on
Jun 5, 2020:

"Thank you all so much for this feedback and direction! I will be reviewing this with the team and will post an update. We have a few upcoming features that should address some of this pain so I will share in the next couple weeks as we have a more details. Thank you!"

This is indeed a pain, because it creates a cluttered database and causes us extra charges (contact tiers).

Both are frustrating.

The workaround (filtering out these contacts) is currently only possible one-by-one. Thsi si impossible when you have hundreds of such contacts.

Has there been any progress recently?

Thanks, Gabor

dave-kimble
Participante

Of course, they decide they may now have an update. We switched over to Infusionsoft a few days ago, for a few reasons, but this was the main thing that pushed us. 

DRogulis
Miembro

Hi! Any updates?

SLapinsuo
Colaborador

We have a similar issue. We want to use Outlook integration to send to and receive emails from leads. We don't want to manually check "track" or "log" each time we are sending an email, depending on whether the correspondent is a lead or not. So, we always want to have tracking and logging on, BUT we don't want new contacts to be created in CRM IF they don't exist. This is because many of our HubSpot users are not just in Sales and so they send a ton of emails to people other than leads. But, when they DO send emails to existing leads, we want HubSpot to automatically track and log. So, it's not enough to just blocklist our own company domain to block company confidential emails from being registered in HubSpot.

JHu1
Miembro

Hi Cambria (from Hubspot product team), 

I hope you are well. 

It has been a year since last time you replied to this thread, I wonder if you and your team have released a solution regarding this issue? 

Thanks,

iamathlete
Colaborador | Partner nivel Platinum

I'm hoping Hubspot can give us an update on this - our sales data is now a mess because of all the bad email addresses and company names that have been added to it.  It is my single biggest issue with Hubspot.

JCreacy
Miembro

HONSESTLY I CANT BELIEVE THIS HASN'T BEEN RESOLVED YET. IT'S A SIMPLE FIX