Disable automatic contact creation for Conversations

HubSpot auto creates a contact for anyone that emails in - or is cc'd into a reply in conversations. For some customers who manage through support, this will mean a large number of contacts can enter the database. The only way to prevent this at the moment is by setting filtering rules, as all filtered emails do not create contacts. There is a use case from a customer in this post..

This is a request to build a "Create contact" rule giving us the option to disable automtically creating contacts for people we communicate with in Conversations.

70 Replies
Top Contributor

Chiming back in here to get this rolling..

New Contributor

Es un mega problema de esta integración, perdemos mucho tiempo fusionando contactos duplicados y da una muy mala experiencia a nuestros clientes.

Regular Contributor

Does anyone know what the filters were from the original post?

I have another use case for NOT wanting to have contacts automatically created via ingoing/outgoing emails. I sometimes email referees for a Candidate from the contact via a template and this creates a new contact for the referee when it goes out, or when they reply.

This would be less of an issue if the amount of contacts didn't directly link to the cost of the CRM.

EDIT: Honestly guys, even just allowing us to add a wildcard for the incoming/outgoing conversions would fix this and buy you some time to fix the GUI to add the options/code something better.

New Contributor

Thanks for this, the more comments the more motivation to change this.

No response from support !

Occasional Contributor

This sounds like a slightly different use case than what others have suggested, but disabling automatic creation of contacts who email in to a conversations inbox would be such a critical feature for us because we often have employees write in to our support inbox who then get added automatically as contacts to tickets and deals. This creates all sorts of problems for us in how we manage and track communication, and with what emails get logged within the CRM. 

I agree with what everyone else has said, in that having more control over how contacts get added to the CRM in general would be a huge benefit. In the specific use case I'm talking about, I'd love to have the ability to restrict creation of contacts when employees email in to the conversations inbox.  

New Contributor

Thank you for all the comments. 

As an update I have been in contact with HS support, they have a division leader who is looking into this but have indicated that a fix will take time. And that this manager will post on this forum for an update, we are yet to hear anything in over 2 weeks, not really a good sign.

Obviously HS has a program of work they operate under, they have to plan fixes and changes as part of a broader strategy, the urgency of this change is dictated by a priority system that I am sure is determined by many things. A signifcant aspect will be the level of customer satisfaction/disatisfaction.

Therefore I can only encourage all persons who may be seeing this thread to post here and motivate for this change as many of you have already.

Thanks

New Contributor

Having this feature would be a huge help to our support team. I manually have to remove contacts from each ticket and it is very time consuming. 

Occasional Contributor

This is a key fix needed urgently as it is basically preventing us from using Hubspot tickets at the moment due to the massive amounts of contacts being created from having multiple shared "info" boxes connected to Conversations.

It's been a known issue for a couple of years and I do hope you can provide a fix rather quick now.

Occasional Contributor | Gold Partner
Occasional Contributor | Gold Partner

@cdewey22  We have a similar problem using a shared inbox for our info@ email address. In our case, all addresses that come though this are being created as Contacts even though many are from spammers just trying to sell us things. I think this mainly maps to your use-case #1, but we don't want to me paying for these contacts either...

Regular Contributor

+1