HubSpot Ideas

jehiguese

Disable automatic contact creation for Conversations

HubSpot auto creates a contact for anyone that emails in - or is cc'd into a reply in conversations. For some customers who manage through support, this will mean a large number of contacts can enter the database. The only way to prevent this at the moment is by setting filtering rules, as all filtered emails do not create contacts. There is a use case from a customer in this post [Hyperlink removed by moderator as it linked to an archived Community post with duplicate information]

This is a request to build a "Create contact" rule giving us the option to disable automtically creating contacts for people we communicate with in Conversations.

324 Comentários
laurae
Participante

This needs to be a new feature! It's frustrating that spam or sales emails can trigger new contacts in your CRM and potentially exceed your contact limit costing you more money. 

dheron01
Membro

Hi - any update on this request.  This is a very annoying "feature".

Regards,

David

laurae
Participante

Not yet. I hope it gets resolved soon!

ellent
Membro

We would love this feature. We support both partners and end users. We do not want end users being created as a contact as we don't want them to recieve any of our marketing emails, product updates email, or newsletters that are intended for our partners.  As of now, we've been told we need to set up filters/workflows/special fields - workarounds that are not ideal.

And reading the above comment makes me very nervous about spam email addresses being created as contacts as well - eek!

laurae
Participante

Agree @ellent This is a crucial request.

pingland222
Participante

This would be huge. We use this for our accounting department and they get emails from customers and venders. It would be nice to not create a contact for ever vender. 

Anonymous
Não aplicável

help! we're onboarding now and JUST turned on Conversations Inbox and literally have a dozen spammer or generic email we subscribe to that have created new contacts....

teniosgmbh
Membro

This feature is very anoying. 
we need to delete hundreds of contacts whichs were generated from spam-mails, newsletters, CC-mails.

Please ask within the conversation before a new contact is generated.

AlinaH
Membro

Please implement this feature!
I understand the filtering tool, but we cannot filter every spam/random email in the world, that is not efficient and needs continuous monitoring, which basically makes extra work instead of making the existing one easier. 
Thanks 🙂 

FoxTheFixer
Membro

Just adding to all of the above! This is an incredible time waste of a problem, defeating the entire purpose of automated systems! I will have to disable inbound email completely (and could be driven away from the platform entirely) until this problem is solved by HubSpot.

christopheGlose
Membro

Same here, would love this feature!

M4T
Membro

Even better. Add a button to selectively add the contact to the CRM during the conversation.  

senstech
Membro

Very strange default behavior, and I'm even more surprised it cannot be changed. I'd expect automatic contact creation for people I send mail to, but not every random person who contacts me! I'm evaluating HubSpot at the moment, and this is the only major turnoff I see for now - the sales pipeline and email features are looking very useful otherwise.

MaineWinters
Membro

We need this functionality as well as when our sales reps are OOO their autoresponder creates new contacts. Please help!!

adriansprake
Participante

Agreed.  We would definitely like the ability to put any potential new contact into a queue so they can be qualified by a sales person prior to being created as a physical contact in HubSpot.

grahamfcr
Participante

Yes please add this feature. Very frustrating that this still exists.

liammm
Membro

I have found a temporary fix if you wish to continue to use the Conversations Inbox. 
I have saved a filter in my contacts tab that shows me any contact that was added from the conversations inbox. I run the filter daily and bulk delete the spam contacts that were added. I have done the same thing for companies. 
In the "Contacts Tab" 
1. Add filter 

2. Search for "original source drill-down 1"

3. Select "contains exactly" 

4. type in "conversations" hit enter 

5. click "apply filters" 

6. Save and name the filter. 
Repeat steps 1-6 in the companies tab. 
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.02.19.png
you can now use this filter regularly and use the checkboxes on the left-hand side to bulk delete each day/week. 

The problem comes when you want to save some contacts and delete others. I have chosen to add another filter so that I can change that property and take the contact off the list. 
I have chosen to add "Original Source" is any of "Offline Sources". 
We now change that field in the contacts that we want to keep (specifically we change it to "Email Marketing") 
To make it easier for my colleagues, I have also added the "original source" property to the "my view section" in the contacts panel so that it is easy to access and change. Go to "view all properties" in any contact > search properties for "original source" > Click "add to my view" 
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 10.04.44.png

ChW
Participante

Please resolve this problem. This is very annoying.

Muser
Membro

Yep, agreed. 

I would like Hubspot to only log emails from known contacts in the CRM. The reason is that I have lots of people email me, including confidential emails I don't want made visible to everyone in the CRM. 

I know that if I send an email and uncheck the log button, it doesn't log in the CRM. I also know that I can exclude a specific email address or domain in the settings so that it never logs emails from those people. The checkbox is only useful for stopping the logging of emails I sent, not those I receive (and also doesn't cover those cases where I sent from my phone or forget to uncheck the box). And, the email/domain exclusion is only useful if I am expecting emails from someone.

What we need is a setting when enabled, Hubspot only logs emails from my inbox that are existing contacts in Hubspot, and does not create new contacts from emails of people not in Hubspot. That way, if I have a confidential conversation with someone and give them my email address, and they email me, that email doesn't create a Hubspot contact and log the confidential email for everyone to see. 

This is important as someone who wears lots of hats including both sales, and confidential things like HR and legal. 

NCO
Top colaborador(a)

Piggy-backing on this thread.. this is a much-needed improvement to the conversations tool.

The only reason that I can imagine it hasn't been addressed is that Hubspot has a financial interest in additional contacts being added to your CRM in bulk; more contacts equals higher pricing tier.

Pretty please address this in 2020 Hubspot.

Thanks,

Noah