HubSpot Ideas

bradgerlach

Different Title Tag than Page Title

Currently, whatever the page or blog post title is, the title tag <title> is the same. This is extremely limiting. A great strategy I use to increase CTR is to use different words and even brackets. However, I don't want these in my post title. Instead, I would like to be able to have a longer, more explanatory title on the site. 

When a person arrives on a blog post, it is important to have the title to explain what they are getting. However, you can't always do that in 600 pixels Arial font 16px, which is what Google use for title in the listing. A succesful strategy that I have been using for a few years now is using bracket and other simples to increase CTR and having the title longer. Having a longer title also helps you to incorporate a secondary keyword phrase, which is another successful SEO strategy I use. 

With the use of Yoast plugin, WordPress sites have had this ability for almost ever, but HubSpot's CRM pigeon holes you into only having a title that fits in Google's search titles. 

39 Kommentare
shamaleyte
Teilnehmer/-in | Diamond Partner

The workaround that can be applied is to use the HTML version of the blog template. 
For the custom page title,  go and add a custom parameter inside of the "additional <head> markup" section of the template. 
Step1.png

This way, you will be able to choose what title you want to use for the page title rather than the blog title. 

{% text "page_title" label="Page Title", value="", export_to_template_context=True %} 

After you create & give the final touches to your blog template, do the following

• In the left sidebar menu, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Clone to HTML. The template in HTML will open in a new tab.

Inside this new HTML template that you generated from your blog template, you will see that there is the <title> tag set by HS like shown in the screenshot. 

Step2.png

Replace that line with the following script in order to use the custom parameter as the page title. I put another else condition to cover the case when there is no custom page title provided by the editor ( the default value set by HS is used in that case ). 

{% if is_listing_view %}
       <title>{{ page_meta.html_title }}</title>    
    {% else %}
       {% if widget_data.page_title.body.value %}
          <title>{{ widget_data.page_title.body.value }}</title>
       {% else %}
          <title>{{ page_meta.html_title }}</title>    
       {% endif %}
    {% endif %} 

This way you will be able to set the custom title parameter at the blog post level, and this will be the only title that is used as the page title.

Till a new feature is released by HS, this is the workaround that we can do. 

I hope it helps till then! 🙂 

Esther_ISM
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi Shamaleyte,

Great advice!! Thank you for the extensive answer! 

Pierre2
Mitglied

Thanks Shamaleyte this is a good workaround. It appears that even when you fil the field in your module it will be considered as empty and HS will display the default title in <title>. And without the condition the <title> is just blank. Did you encounter this problem or is it working fine with your template?

shamaleyte

Pierre2,  it seamlessly worked for me. Try to see if you really have the custom parameter in place by checking the Developer info.
Look for widget_data.page_title.body.value OR the parameter that you created.  
Probably, the structure is a bit different in your case and it is considered empty.

Pierre2
Mitglied

So I have work it out with the HS team and it looks like the issue was that the page_title widget was being defined after it was being referenced which was causing the issue. By moving it up to the top it resolves the issue. Thanks again.

AZ617
Mitglied

How is this not already a feature?

Anton_Bla
Teilnehmer/-in

Definitely +1 to this one. It's incredibly annoying that by 2019 Hubspot still doesn't permit you to choose a different title tag to the actual blog entry title. 

KDooley
Mitglied

Big +1 on this. Seems silly that it's not here.

NatalieS
Mitglied | Diamond Partner

For Landing Pages, you can create an internal name which is different to the name of the landing page <title> tag. Could this functionality be used for blogs? It would be helpful in instances where you have different blogs with different languages to have the internal blog names in English (or any other preferred language) so we can understand which blog it is that is performing if we don't speak the language of the blog i.e. if it is in German. 

rwong
HubSpot Employee

Requesting for this feature on behalf of my customer who's looking for it!

SpiralMedia
Mitglied

Is there any update on progress from HubSpot around the separation of post title and title tags. This seems absurd to me from an SEO perspective that this is not already part of the platform SEO. In terms of SEO best practices, HubSpot is not current with this issue. Please fix this ASAP. Clients are paying you a lot of money for a deficient CMS.

GV_S-RM
Mitglied

Has there been any progress in developing this? This crucial SEO tool is still missing.

Status aktualisiert zu: In Planning
tilly
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi all! We are currently in the process of building a feature that allows a blog post title and <title> tag to be different.

When this functionality goes to beta, I will update the status here. At that time, if you and your team are interested in participating in the beta, please reach out to me via direct message with your portal's Hub ID.

Thanks!

shamaleyte

That's great news 🙂 Thanks Tilly!

bradgerlach
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Platinum Partner

Oh wow @tilly! This is such great news. 

After 2 years, 70 upvotes, plenty of emails and talks with people while visiting HubSpot, I wasn't sure if anyone actually saw this post!

Dreams to come true in the HubSpot Community Forum!

Thanks for the update and I will be reaching out to you!

Esther_ISM
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi Tilly,

Great news. Thank you for updating us. 

GV_S-RM
Mitglied

Fantastic news, thank you @tilly

Status aktualisiert zu: In Beta
tilly
HubSpot-Produktteam

The ability to set a different H1 from <title> tag in blog posts is now in beta. Those who have already requested access should now see an option to "Customize page title" in their blog post settings tabs. Clicking this button will expose a secondary title field that allows the user to set a different H1 from <title> tag in their post. 

If you are interested in joining this beta and have not already reached out to me, please send me a message with your Hub ID and I will add you to the beta. Feedback is welcome!

Status aktualisiert zu: Delivered
tilly
HubSpot-Produktteam

This is now live to all portals!