HubSpot Ideas

Stanczak

Delete email addresses from contact record

I know it's seen as bad practice and I know why HubSpot doesn't currently allow it.

But really guys, sometimes we actually do need to delete an email address from a contact record.

I have historical contacts with important notes and history that have never had a valid email address in the email property. Or, someone in our organization entered a bad email address years ago and now it's permanently enshrined on the contact record, causing confusion and bounced marketing emails.

Perhaps when a HubSpot user attempts to clear an email address you can present us with a dire warning and then let the user make that decision themselves. Or, make it an advanced permission that only administrators can enable for themselves.

Either way, deleting the contact record or creating custom properties (as suggested here) are not viable solutions.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 18, 2021 11:56 AM

Hello HubSpot community! As @Apocalyps already noticed, this functionality is officially live in all HubSpot accounts as of a few days ago. I had been holding off on posting until we had ironed out some of the potentially misleading messaging that @BB1 noticed, but looks like you all beat me to the punch in noticing 😉

We'll be cleaning up that messaging this week, but, in the meantime the functionality is available for all to use. Thank you as always for your continued input here on the community forum. We're always listening and it helps us build a better product! 

- Dylan 

In Planning
August 13, 2020 06:50 AM

Hello HubSpot community, 

I'm excited to let you all know that this is something we are planning to work on in the coming months. At this time I don't have a specific timeline for delivery but will update this post once we do. 

Being Reviewed
March 30, 2020 08:33 AM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. The request to remove the last email address from a contact is an interesting one. Based on the comments and use cases you all have listed, we are reviewing this request and its feasibility among other priorities on our roadmap. At this time I don’t have any details around timing or delivery, but thanks to the comments and votes on this post we’re actively looking into what it would take to solve this problem. 

108 Replies
BB1
Top Contributor

Yes @KJLUNDE  - it seems that maybe @Apocalyps has some info on it?

@Dylan has informed us in Aug. that it is on Hubspot's radar and will be worked on in the coming months.

Maybe Hubspot can make a workaround in the backend that allows us to delete an email and HS will assisgn the Contact an email which it knows is not real, will not be shown to us but will work for them in the back?

Apocalyps

I'd set a monthly reminder to check on this enhancement, and noticed the change last night. When clicking the user's email to edit, the option appeared to the right to 'Delete' the primary email. In all of my updates last night, it worked as designed, and I no longer have an invalid None.com company or email domain. 😁

If you're not seeing the same, HubSpot may be rolling this enhancement out in groups so hopefully a short wait should provide my same results for your team.

Delete primary emailDelete primary email

BB1
Top Contributor

Awesome!!! 😎🤓👏

I see it too. A message still pops up about needing to chose a primary email but it lets you delete!

BB1
Top Contributor

Thanks @Apocalyps for sharing the news, Thanks @Dylan and team!!

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot community! As @Apocalyps already noticed, this functionality is officially live in all HubSpot accounts as of a few days ago. I had been holding off on posting until we had ironed out some of the potentially misleading messaging that @BB1 noticed, but looks like you all beat me to the punch in noticing 😉

We'll be cleaning up that messaging this week, but, in the meantime the functionality is available for all to use. Thank you as always for your continued input here on the community forum. We're always listening and it helps us build a better product! 

- Dylan 

KJLUNDE
Contributor

I second that!  Thanks @Apocalyps for sharing the news, thanks @BB1 for helping move this along, and thanks @Dylan and team!!

BB1
Top Contributor

Yes, @KJLUNDE  - my pleasure! Now looking forward to more of these great ideas that are cooking below the surface and slowly getting released by @Dylan and the team!

sgarforth
Participant

I'm pleased to see that we can finally delete email fields. I have a list of 3054 contacts where I've set the email field to a dummy value. I would like to delete this field for those records now. I tried selecting them all and choosing 'edit' but it doesn't give me 'email' as a property that I can change. I've tried exporting and importing them with the contact id and an empty email field but that didn't overwrite the field. Can you help?