HubSpot Ideas

Stanczak

Delete email addresses from contact record

I know it's seen as bad practice and I know why HubSpot doesn't currently allow it.

But really guys, sometimes we actually do need to delete an email address from a contact record.

I have historical contacts with important notes and history that have never had a valid email address in the email property. Or, someone in our organization entered a bad email address years ago and now it's permanently enshrined on the contact record, causing confusion and bounced marketing emails.

Perhaps when a HubSpot user attempts to clear an email address you can present us with a dire warning and then let the user make that decision themselves. Or, make it an advanced permission that only administrators can enable for themselves.

Either way, deleting the contact record or creating custom properties (as suggested here) are not viable solutions.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 18, 2021 11:56 AM

Hello HubSpot community! As @Apocalyps already noticed, this functionality is officially live in all HubSpot accounts as of a few days ago. I had been holding off on posting until we had ironed out some of the potentially misleading messaging that @BB1 noticed, but looks like you all beat me to the punch in noticing 😉

We'll be cleaning up that messaging this week, but, in the meantime the functionality is available for all to use. Thank you as always for your continued input here on the community forum. We're always listening and it helps us build a better product! 

- Dylan 

In Planning
August 13, 2020 06:50 AM

Hello HubSpot community, 

I'm excited to let you all know that this is something we are planning to work on in the coming months. At this time I don't have a specific timeline for delivery but will update this post once we do. 

Being Reviewed
March 30, 2020 08:33 AM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. The request to remove the last email address from a contact is an interesting one. Based on the comments and use cases you all have listed, we are reviewing this request and its feasibility among other priorities on our roadmap. At this time I don’t have any details around timing or delivery, but thanks to the comments and votes on this post we’re actively looking into what it would take to solve this problem. 

108 Replies
BB1
Top Contributor

@sminer Maybe you don't have permission to delete emails? Here is how it looks for me:HS primary email.png

sminer

@BB1 Thank you! That did the trick. I can't believe I didn't see that earlier.

BB1
Top Contributor

Awesome! @sminer 

Jeffb
Contributor

Yes, that works when we have a second email address and can remove extra ones, but not if we have only one, so we are forced to keep it or add some other email as a filler which is also wrong and we cannot have a single one as it is a primary key field that prevents re-using the same email for multiple contacts so the problem persists on. Does anyone know if other CRM's do this, from my perspective this restriction is pretty dumb and unnesserary.

iats72
Participant

Exactly the point @Jeffb You nailed it!

BB1
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeffb - this workaround has been mentioned:

You can use for example fakeemail@ and put in the domain. For multiple contacts with the same domain, you can use fakeemail1@ etc.

Then you would want to make a filter/list to exclude any emails that begin fakeemail@

I don't recall about other CRMs, waiting for Hubspot to fix this, but meanwhile you can use the above workaround.

laydeestlz
Participant

the work around I did was just opting them out of the email.  When you use an generic email like noemail@no.com or something like that it still tries to sent an email if you have a list.

Soenke

I agree with the above comments, but given the age of these comments, I am not hopeful that we will see this anytime soon. We are in a B2B environment characterized by a high turnover and moving between companies consistently. Not being able to mark a contact as being 'between companies' and removing the contact details until the person reappears in another job is VERY inconvenient as it doesn't allow us to have a truly contact-centric marketing organisation. To Hubspot, it appears, a person is purely a marketing target, not an object with multiple, constantly fluctuating relationships.

Jeffb
Contributor

@Soenke I definitely agree. People change careers, would be nice to see the history in the CRM just like you can see it in linkedin where we can see our deal history with a person across their career and use that to gain new deals even when they leave a company. Maybe automtate it where we can send contratulatory communication when they get a promotion or new opportunity and by the same token support the process of getting in touch with their replacement so as to not lose business with the previous company

ShockinglyD
Participant

We definitely need this changed asap!  It also helps if we request via their social medial channels.

mwtc

I've also come across this issue in our HubSpot CRM. I'm writing to support the OP that we need the option to delete incorrect/no longer in use emails. It's ridiculous that we don't have the freedom to do so like other CRMs.

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. The request to remove the last email address from a contact is an interesting one. Based on the comments and use cases you all have listed, we are reviewing this request and its feasibility among other priorities on our roadmap. At this time I don’t have any details around timing or delivery, but thanks to the comments and votes on this post we’re actively looking into what it would take to solve this problem. 

Steve-Phase5

Nothing new to add except thanks to all the users above who have clearly articulated the various use cases!

raininstantpay

I know this is from 2017, but I wanted to bring it back up because this capability would be really helpful. We really need to be able to quicly and easily see contacts that are missing accurate email addresses. We are B2B and when people leave their positions we need to be able to change to their new email address, etc...but need a quick way to realize which email addresses are no longer active. Deleting them from the record would be the best way!

timjwardster
Participant

Agree completely with this. I have a contact with incorrect email - but no new email. I've resorted to using our company info email address but then get all sorts of weird behaviours!!

Sort this out hubspot - it can't be that hard?

StevenLW

This suggests a legacy mindset at HubSpot that's got to go -- it's a big changing world and not to be flexible about something as basic as an email address is reflects a narrow thinking.

pearlceo

+1 for this feature. Email address bounced and I want to be able to remove it so it doesn't happen again

BB1
Top Contributor

Hi @pearlceo  you can Opt out the email so it will not be sent. Also, Hubspot will anyways stop sending email to an address that is bouncing.

dhartzer

I noticed we could Opt out a contact. If we do that then find a new or correct email later, can we add them back into getting emails? In other words, how do we remove the "opt out"?

Apocalyps

Adding to bump.

HubSpot's existing logic allows creation of contact(s) without email address.

HubSpot's existing logic allows import of contact(s) without email address.

Currently, HubSpot will not allow deletion of existing email address, yet will not allow duplicate "fake" email address/placeholders due to above restrictions. Please prioritise in product backlog even if it requires user to select tick-box to confirm deletion of email address on individual/mass deletions.